About Mr Whittaker

BCLoyal9

Since Stevie came to the Club , we haven't seen the kind of form displayed on his best days with Hibs. This has led to many within our support expressing doubt over his signing - even a moronic minority within this grouping refer to him as a 'donkey' and other such put-downs.

I'm not doubting for a second that we have yet to see the best of Steven and have been witness to the worst.

But I cannot help but feel we have a highly talented player on our hands at the moment who is not being put to best use. Surely , his performances in the middle of the park when first signed were sub-par. But can we not remember that SW is a natural right back? Player will say they will play anywhere on the park , aslong as they are selected. But don't tell me they don't have preferences and knowledge of where they are most 'at home'.

I have watched SW many times as a Hibs and Gers player and I feel that this is a player with much to offer the team. Mobile , balanced and unusually for a fullback , an eye for goal , we could do so much worse than give him a little run at RB. Kirk has applied himself admirably in that role but is clearly toiling and out of his comfort zone. I just think it might work wonders to pitch Whittaker in there.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's been woeful. That's why we've got two average, although admirable, centre backs playing at full back ahead of him. In terms of him playing right back, he's looked no better, possibly worse, when playing at right back.

He's got decent natural ability, more than Broadfoot, but he isn't deserving of a place in the side ahead of Kirk at the moment. For the Old Firm game I'd actually play Dailly at right back to deal with McGeady, but that's a different matter...........

I'm willing to give Stevie more time to settle, he'll be here next season and that's fine. But he's well short of the minimum requirement for a Rangers first team player at the moment. So now that we're at the business end of the season, and crucially have an Old Firm game just round the corner...........he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team for the foreseeable future. 'Time to settle' has well and truly ran out for this season. It's do or die now.

I think he's been woeful. That's why we've got two average, although admirable, centre backs playing at full back ahead of him. In terms of him playing right back, he's looked no better, possibly worse, when playing at right back.

He's got decent natural ability, more than Broadfoot, but he isn't deserving of a place in the side ahead of Kirk at the moment. For the Old Firm game I'd actually play Dailly at right back to deal with McGeady, but that's a different matter...........

I'm willing to give Stevie more time to settle, he'll be here next season and that's fine. But he's well short of the minimum requirement for a Rangers first team player at the moment. So now that we're at the business end of the season, and crucially have an Old Firm game just round the corner...........he shouldn't be anywhere near the first team for the foreseeable future. 'Time to settle' has well and truly ran out for this season. It's do or die now.

Point taken that at this stage of the season , we need consistent players in their respective positions.

I genuinely believe though that Whittaker will prove to be our long-term candidate for that role however , and given the chance (as opposed to a period of grace) will prove this.

Particularly in games against the SPL sides that play football on the floor - such as there are in Hibs , Falkirk , and perhaps Dundee Utd.

The problem with Whittaker and half of the other Rangers players is they lack the elimentaries.

Can't trap a ball with one touch.

Can't pass a ball with the second touch.

Can't beat a man if there is no pass on.

This leads us to constantly play ourselves into danger OR a big hoof up the park.

The problem with Whittaker and half of the other Rangers players is they lack the elimentaries.

This leads us to constantly play ourselves into danger OR a big hoof up the park.

Personally believe he can do all of the above and more. At the end of the day he has got to show that and yes , inasmuch he has played so far , you havent been proven wrong.

I would just like to see him taking the initiative and proving his worth given the chance. I hate to see decent prospects just slide away. He has what it takes but we'll see what unfolds. There are other players in the squad under similar scrutiny and one is Buffel. Although that one is for another thread ;)

Didn't rate him at Hibs and still don't. Waste of £2million and a quality RB is required in the summer. Kirk Broadfoot and Sasa Papac are much better players!

Personally believe he can do all of the above and more. At the end of the day he has got to show that and yes , inasmuch he has played so far , you havent been proven wrong.

I would just like to see him taking the initiative and proving his worth given the chance. I hate to see decent prospects just slide away. He has what it takes but we'll see what unfolds. There are other players in the squad under similar scrutiny and one is Buffel. Although that one is for another thread ;)

Watch the top right backs in the world - Hutton is one - and see the way they play their position.

Then the next time Whittaker is playing there watch him.

Notice the difference.

That's why he is not good enough.

Didn't rate him at Hibs and still don't. Waste of £2million and a quality RB is required in the summer. Kirk Broadfoot and Sasa Papac are much better players!

As you're Mod I might be putting my hand in the fire by saying this ;) , but for my money Kirk is certainly no better than Whittaker overall.

Our quality RB should be Whittaker for next season and I'm confident this will be proven. BTW , does anyone know whats happening with young Alan Lowing? From the few times I have seen him in action for the first team he hasn't ever looked a real liability. I had him down as a suitable understudy for the RB position for the short term anyway....

waste of £2m imo. Didnt rate him at hibs and didnt want us to sign him. What i dont understand is how we got thomson for £2m, took all fecking summer to eventually sign naismith for similar money yet we were willing to spend £2m no problem on whittaker who imo is the weakest of the 3 players. He has certain qualities ie hes decent enough going forward but while hutton could go forward and then get back into position quickly whittaker gets caught out of position all the time after an attack. He has a lot to do to improve my opinion of him.

As you're Mod I might be putting my hand in the fire by saying this ;) , but for my money Kirk is certainly no better than Whittaker overall.

Our quality RB should be Whittaker for next season and I'm confident this will be proven. BTW , does anyone know whats happening with young Alan Lowing? From the few times I have seen him in action for the first team he hasn't ever looked a real liability. I had him down as a suitable understudy for the RB position for the short term anyway....

Broadfoot has proven that he's slightly better than Whittaker.

Davie Weir and Carlos Cuellar must hate seeing Whittaker in the team as everytime he plays they are left to cover and help him out. His touch, distribution, positioning and defending is average. I just don't feel comfortable when he's in the side.

Maybe with a bit of luck a Championship side will come in for him?

Davie Weir and Carlos Cuellar must hate seeing Whittaker in the team as everytime he plays they are left to cover and help him out. His touch, distribution, positioning and defending is average. I just don't feel comfortable when he's in the side.

i think broadfoot is looking like a st mirren player every passing week

if hitting the 1st defender with the ball was the idea hed be a genius

i think broadfoot is looking like a st mirren player every passing week

if hitting the 1st defender with the ball was the idea hed be a genius

The funny thing is , hitting the 1st man IS an idea , but definitely not one that makes you a genuis :craphead:

My choice at RB until the end of the season would be Dailly with Papac on the left. That will do until the summer when we have to get a quality RB in and possible a LB too depending on how Stevie Smith gets on?

The lad McCann is/was(at the time) a better player, a lot of the Hibs fans said this and they'd of been very happy with a million for him. Maybe Tony Mowbary will show an interest in the summer, with a bit of luck.

My choice at RB until the end of the season would be Dailly with Papac on the left. That will do until the summer when we have to get a quality RB in and possible a LB too depending on how Stevie Smith gets on?

Until the season ends that seems a fair enough suggestion. I will maintain my opposition that Whittaker can and will make the RB position his own , although if all goes well with SS then he also should be the first shout for LB. In many ways I feel he is Hutton's equivalent on the left side of the pitch.

I'm willing to give Whittaker a chance. He has the quality to succeed, just needs some confidence and a run in the team. Perhaps this season is too early for that run though. Have we not learned anything by Hutton's turn around from scape-goat to World Class?

It's the one thing I hate about our fans - the lack of support for new signings and the prominence of the boo boys (or should that be bhoys?).

Have we not learned anything by Hutton's turn around from scape-goat to World Class?

Some have never rated Whittaker like myself, that was when he was at Hibs. I got on at Hutton but before his leg break I thought he was a good player.

I just don't see anything in Whittaker tbh. He lacks some of the basics.

I like Whittaker, you cant slag the boy off if hees never been given a run at right back and he hasnt. For people to suggest because of his performances to date he is a dud are mental. He has played maybe 25-30 games for Rangers and maybe only 3 or 4 of these at right back so surely he deserves a run out in his correct position, the position that convinced Walter to pay £2million for him and get the wooden Broadfoot back in the stand!!!

Who's slagged him off?

Only saying what we think and explaining why we think that. Doesn't say much for him when the "wooden" Broadfoot gets a game ahead of him!!

Who's slagged him off?

Only saying what we think and explaining why we think that. Doesn't say much for him when the "wooden" Broadfoot gets a game ahead of him!!

No issue with people having their own opinion on the lad obviously , although I would counter the suggestion that the fact Broadfoot is playing automaticaly reflects on Whittaker. There are a couple of players in the side of late who on current form have most definitely not earned their place , Burke , Adam and dare I say it Ferguson among them.

Who's slagged him off?

Well if you haven't slated him in this thread then a dont know what a slaggin is!!!

Personally, I dont know why we must continue to put up with Broadfoot. He was truly dreadful in the cup final & against partick and only marginally better yesterday!!! Whittaker I guarentee you is no worse than Broadfoot if played in his natural position!!!

Not slating but stating what I think about his all-round game, I thought exactly the same when he was a Hibs player.

His touch, distribution, positioning and defending is average. I just don't feel comfortable when he's in the side.

You have your opinion and I have mine (tu)

The lad McCann is/was(at the time) a better player, a lot of the Hibs fans said this and they'd of been very happy with a million for him. Maybe Tony Mowbary will show an interest in the summer, with a bit of luck.

Correct, Whittaker had lost his place in the team towards the end of the season after causing the loss of goals for Hibs against Hearts and Celtic. I have never rated him and with his dire posititioning and decision making realise that he is far worse than I thought. We will have to take a loss on him at some time and for the sake of the team it should be sooner rather than later. Broadfoot is obviously trusted more and he is, in my opinion, a very poor player and a bombscare defensively.