Kevin Thomson v Scott Brown

Coopermania

Thomson and Brown: The former Hibs duo now starring for the Old Firm

Mar 26 2008 By Neil Cameron

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/footbal...86908-20363075/

Kevin Thomson and Scott Brown

ONE is a hyperactive motor mouth who has started to lose the backing of fans who hailed his signing as the greatest thing since Henrik Larsson.

The other, a mild-mannered softly spoken lad, is beginning to win over the fans who doubted he was good enough for their team.

Best pals Scott Brown and Kevin Thomson are experiencing contrasting first seasons on either side of the Old Firm divide.

They will clash, most probably literally, on Saturday in an Old Firm game that has been viewed as the most important in years.

This was seen as the fixture in which Brown would excel, in a season that would see him become the SPL's best outfield players.

But 13 bookings, four suspensions, three goals and a drop in form has meant Celtic fans, at least some of them, have lost patience with him.

Thomson, meanwhile, is back from adouble hernia operation and Saturday's win over Hibs saw him turn in his best performances for Rangers.

The big debate now is which will shine at Ibrox - the loud one who now has a question mark over him or the more unassuming one who has started to outshine his mate.

Brown and Thomson's former captain Rob Jones is a big defender of both players, particularly Brown.

Indeed, the Hibs skipper has no doubt Brown will not only be a star at Celtic but will one day soon make that £4.5million transfer fee look like peanuts. He also put the kettle on for Thomson proving himself at Rangers after a start that did not endear him to every Ibrox fan.

It will be interesting to see on Saturday who comes out as a winner, both individually and as a team.

One thing Jones knows right now is Celtic and Rangers have gems on their hands.

He said: "Kevin and Scott are two very different characters and footballers. Mind you, Scotty is different from anyone I have ever met in my life.

"Kevin is a bit more laidback. He will think deeply about things. There has never been a second of Scott's life when he didn't have something to say. He likes to talk.

"Scott is the loud one. You would never miss him. But they are both great people and great footballers.

"It was always going to take time for them to settle. Kev really looks like a Rangers player now. Those first five months or whatever were a settling-in period.

"Maybe that is what Scott is going through right now. It doesn't mean he's not any good."

Brown started brilliantly at Parkhead but as Celtic have stumbled so has their No.8.

But if you even suggest to big Jones his mate would be viewed by some as an expensive mistake, that argument gets short-shift.

Jones said: "Scott is the best I have ever played with. No question. It's not just his ability which he has lots of, it's his desire. I've never known any other players with his passion for football.

"In a few years time, folk will look back on that £4.5m and say it was a bargain. In fact, they won't believe Celtic got him so cheaply. Mark my words on that one.

"I worked beside Scott every day for ayear and you can take it from me, the lad is special. I described him as the heartbeat of Hibs and that's exactly what he was.

"Scott didn't ask for that amount of money to be spent on him. That's for others to decide.

"If he is getting a bit of stick right now, which I don't understand, then it won't faze him. Nothing fazes the guy.

"He is loud, he is outspoken. I can't remember a time when he didn't think it would have been right for him not to say anything.

'But he's a really good guy as well. Everyone thought the world at him at Easter Road.

"Kevin was the same. I didn't play with him for long enough because he moved to Rangers midway through the season.

"If Scotty is getting criticise then he'll handle it. I've no worries on that score."

Thomson's signing by Walter Smith didn't generate the same excitement but he has slowly but surely won over the Rangers fans who have taken to a central midfielder who has started to take control of matches.

And his performance last weekend when he ran the Rangers midfield, Barry Ferguson playing very much the secondary role, drew admiration from his former team-mate.

Jones said: "Kevin was brilliant. That was maybe his best game for Rangers but then I think he's had a very good season. The injury was a pain for him but he's now better than ever.

"He can pass a ball, reads the game really well and knows when to put his foot in. He's brave. Not many people see that.

"They missed Kevin when he was out. The fans saw what he brought to the team when he wasn't there.

"But isn't that always the way. When I first came to Hibs, I could see what a good player Kevin was.

"For a young lad, he had a great football brain. That's half the battle."

So who will come out on top?

Jones will have to wait like the rest of us. He just feels aggrieved he didn't get more time to play with the two of them at Hibs.

He said: "Kev and Scott were great together in that midfield. They really complimented one another, on and off the park.

"Both are winners and will be in and about each other on Saturday. It's a massive game for the clubs and these two are going to play big part in this title run-in.

"They were always mates and I believe that hasn't changed. It's just they now get paid to beat the other one."

I read this today. It leaves me in no doubt that Thomson was the player to sign, although I remember many bears being disappointed at the time. Plus hes modest and unassuming, true qualities of a Rangers player, rather than a motormouth like Brown as is stated in the article.

KT has been unfortunate at the start of his Rangers career, but I truley believe he can grow into a very highly respected player in the coming years.

Thoughts ? ...... I think I can predict the answers guys :lol:

i have to be totally honest here, i never really saw what the big deal over thomson and brown was. Wasnt that bothered when we signed thomson and have been on of his biggest critics since he signed for us. First 6 months he wasnt anything special for us but this season i have had to eat a big slice of humble pie. The guy has been immense for us and we really missed his energy in midfield when he was out. IMO only the signing of steve davis prevented us from missing him even more and dropping points. Scott brown has done very little for celtic, i am glad we never broke the bank to sign him, davis is a better player and will probably cost less. Thomson and davis will control the midfield on saturday.

I was always a fan of both Brown and Thomson, when they were at Hibs, was glad when we signed Thomson.

One thing I can't understand with his performances this year is why Thomson has never even got a sniff of the Scotland side. Even this week with all the call off's Burley calls up Gavin f'in Rae and ignores Thomson

meanwhile, John Collins claims Scott brown will go on to be a quality player for celtic and will show his worth and more, proving he was worth £4.4M, and kevin thomson is not good enough and being used wrong at rangers

I have to admit..the first maybe 5 or 6 games i saw Thommo i thought he wasnt good enough for us..but im happily eating humble pie these days, he has all the attributes to become a quality player for us for years to come (tu)

It's not a dig or a criticism, but I love how loads of people have jumped on the Thomson bandwagon now, yet twelve months ago there was almost an air of disappointment when we signed him.

The majority of people wanted Brown as opposed to Thomson and I think part of the reason Thomson wasn't initially accepted was because we had signed him insted of Brown.

I don't want to sound all I told you so, but I truly thought Thomson was the better signing from day one and it feels so good to have been proven right.

There was a reason that Thomson was Hibs captain and Brown wasn't, and that reason was that Kev T is "an old head on young shoulders" and IMO if you move to the Old Firm you need that almost as much as talent to succed.

Thats why Brown has "failed" and Thomson has prospered.

It's not a dig or a criticism, but I love how loads of people have jumped on the Thomson bandwagon now, yet twelve months ago there was almost an air of disappointment when we signed him.

The majority of people wanted Brown as opposed to Thomson and I think part of the reason Thomson wasn't initially accepted was because we had signed him insted of Brown.

I don't want to sound all I told you so, but I truly thought Thomson was the better signing from day one and it feels so good to have been proven right.

There was a reason that Thomson was Hibs captain and Brown wasn't, and that reason was that Kev T is "an old head on young shoulders" and IMO if you move to the Old Firm you need that almost as much as talent to succed.

I would agree Dado. KT is a thinker, whereas Brown is not. Thats the clincher for me (tu)

I , for one , always backed Kevin and i knew he would develop into a quality player. I've just always had a good feeling about the lad and he is proving me right time and time again. Future captain of the Rangers , i said it when we signed him and i stand by that now.

He has all the skill of Ferguson and co. but he has an extra element of his game which makes him stand out and that is pure raw determination , he is a quality player and he will do very well for us. Mark my words.

I would agree Dado. KT is a thinker, whereas Brown is not. Thats the clincher for me (tu)

nail.....on......head (tu)

Brown was rotten tonight.

Why so many yellow cards and suspensions?

Cause his first touch is so poor he loses the ball, chases after it, cant tackle cleanly and gives away the foul.

Given a yellow tonight for a professional foul outside the box when we had 2 or 3 guys behind him.

Scott Brown is a good player, he's just a player at the wrong club. Strachan is not the manager to develop or bring the best out of him.

Scott Brown needs guys like Walter, Super, Kenny and Durranty around him. He needs players like Davie Weir, Barry Ferguson, Christain Dailly, Carlos Cuellar, Kevin Thomson and Steven Davis around him. Guy's who will keep him under control, put their arm arounfd him, cover him and let him do what he does best. Ferguson and Thomson are the ideal partners for him, they'll cover his defensive weakness and let him express himself. Just so happens that when he partners Ferguson for Scotland, you see how good a footballer he is.

End of the day, he's made his bed and he can rot in it while we can enjoy the continuing improvement of Kevin Thomson into a quality football player.

Said from the very start that Kev would come good , and am glad to be vindicated :harhar: A couple of my mates were completely adamant that the guy was a dud , and should be shifted on ASAP. The usual reactionary knee-jerk bull**** that some of our support is renowned for sadly.

A Rangers captain in the making is Thommo :rangers:

Scott Brown is a good player, he's just a player at the wrong club. Strachan is not the manager to develop or bring the best out of him.

Scott Brown needs guys like Walter, Super, Kenny and Durranty around him. He needs players like Davie Weir, Barry Ferguson, Christain Dailly, Carlos Cuellar, Kevin Thomson and Steven Davis around him. Guy's who will keep him under control, put their arm arounfd him, cover him and let him do what he does best. Ferguson and Thomson are the ideal partners for him, they'll cover his defensive weakness and let him express himself. Just so happens that when he partners Ferguson for Scotland, you see how good a footballer he is.

End of the day, he's made his bed and he can rot in it while we can enjoy the continuing improvement of Kevin Thomson into a quality football player.

I hold my hands up to being one that was dissapointed about which one of the two we got to start with. Thommo has changed me to the extent that he is a far better player than I gave him credit for. I was a big fan of Brown and think exactly the same as Muffger states above except for the last sentence.

I was very bitter that he opted for them to start with but if things were to do a u-turn, I'd have him back at Ibrox in a flash and I reckon he would be the spark that we miss from our central midfield. Imagine being able to rotate around Brown, Davis, Bazza and Thommo.

I firmly believe that Kevin Thomson will be the next captain of Rangers.

I think this season we have seen him more like his early Hibs days.

Like Brown, he is full of energy but Thomson channels it so much more effectively.

Additionally, Brown doesn't have KT's intelligence. Brown is a better dribbler but that's about it. KT just passes and moves round people.

I think we'll look back and and say 2m? What a steal !

I always felt KT was the better player and signing out of the two, to me Brown is just short of being a thug with the brain capacity of a neandrethal, whereas KT has shown that he is a very intelligent hard working footballer.

It really irked me with the abuse that he got when he first came to Rangers I'm glad he has proved his doubters wrong.

What also surprised me was the Scotland Croatia match, if Burley is looking to the future then why did he draft in Rae instead of Thomson?