Walter has lost us the league

Steely

Look at it this way, walter smith leaves with mcoist and kenny McD, we get in some french, italian spanish trio who dont understand scottish football, it takes us 2-3 seasons to get anywhere, would you lot be happy with that??

this is Smiths 1st season back, considering the squad we had last season, hes had to transform it in the style he plays, pointless in using somebody elses players if you dont like them. we shipped in almost an entirely new squad and everyones expecting miracles, WGS has had 3 seasons to form an understanding with his shitty squad and they are not completely comfortable, Smith has had a season, I don't think we are doing too bad.

I'm not disputing what you are saying.

But he has the players to put out an attacking formation and wont utilise them.

In the game today which he HAD to win, he played one striker. He could easily have gone 4-4-2. He chose 4-1-4-1. That is not a tactic to win a game. Especially against like Motherwell. All due respect to Motherwell, but we should have been putting out a better team than what we did. Especially considering the importance of having to win the game to win the league.

Now barring some sort of miracle, we have lost the league. We wont beat St Mirren 8-0. SO our only hope is Dundee Utd beating or drawing with Sellick.

If that happens then we are very lucky, but even then, will WS put out a team to score goals instead of a team to try and not concede any??

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the games reamining. We HAD to win them all. A draw was not good enough. We HAD to win.

Can anyone give a reason as to why in this game we packed a midfield, and played one up front.

Given the seriousness of the game. Given the importance of the game. Walter Smith went about his business in a way that we wouldn't lose. Unfortunately in this instance escaping defeat just simply wasn't good enough.

Walter Smith has cost us the league and once again changed his tactics far too late in the game. To bring on one striker and then a couple of minutes later bring on another one just suggests time wasting wasting on our behalf when we couldn't afford to to this.

Why not bring them on at the same time??? Why leave it too late to bring them on in first place.

The big rumour hitting town is to let Celtic win the league in the wake of Tommy Burn's death.

I don't go for that myself. I just think it is poor management from Walter Smith.

Is this all the Rangers support can hope to expect now from this manager. I cetainly hope not but I think it may be so.

This is a sad state of affairs to be in. His tactics were wrong for a european final and now his tactics are wrong for the must win league.

I have no confidence left inWalter Smith now.

I full agree he has turned the team around since taking charge again, but turning them round isn't enough. WE MUST WIN THE LEAGUE, NOT SOME DIDDY CUP NO ONE IS INTERESTED IN.

I am very disillusioned by his tactics and very disappointed

Oh FFS doh

The bottom line is that Walter Smith has done really well with the squad he was handed, the players who played today, and against hibs a few weeks ago are more than capable than getting a result.

Wether it's through the amount of games in such a short space or other reasons, we didn't get the results. I do agree that Boyd should have been given more of a chance, and some substitutions shoud have been made sooner at times, but he's only human.

Walter shoud have £10 mil plus this summer to spend, and im sure he'll spend it wisely, he's not daft.

I think we're definatley on the ascendency.

The bottom line is that Walter Smith has done really well with the squad he was handed, the players who played today, and against hibs a few weeks ago are more than capable than getting a result.

Wether it's through the amount of games in such a short space or other reasons, we didn't get the results. I do agree that Boyd should have been given more of a chance, and some substitutions shoud have been made sooner at times, but he's only human.

Walter shoud have £10 mil plus this summer to spend, and im sure he'll spend it wisely, he's not daft.

I hope so mate. Only time will tell.

With the games reamining. We HAD to win them all. A draw was not good enough. We HAD to win.

Can anyone give a reason as to why in this game we packed a midfield, and played one up front.

Given the seriousness of the game. Given the importance of the game. Walter Smith went about his business in a way that we wouldn't lose. Unfortunately in this instance escaping defeat just simply wasn't good enough.

Walter Smith has cost us the league and once again changed his tactics far too late in the game. To bring on one striker and then a couple of minutes later bring on another one just suggests time wasting wasting on our behalf when we couldn't afford to to this.

Why not bring them on at the same time??? Why leave it too late to bring them on in first place.

The big rumour hitting town is to let Celtic win the league in the wake of Tommy Burn's death.

I don't go for that myself. I just think it is poor management from Walter Smith.

Is this all the Rangers support can hope to expect now from this manager. I cetainly hope not but I think it may be so.

This is a sad state of affairs to be in. His tactics were wrong for a european final and now his tactics are wrong for the must win league.

I full agree he has turned the team around since taking charge again, but turning them round isn't enough. WE MUST WIN THE LEAGUE, NOT SOME DIDDY CUP NO ONE IS INTERESTED IN.

Oh FFS doh

Great contribution mate. You should be proud doh

why havnt squad players been given a chance,gow?,boyd?webster? (know he has been injured a lot) buffel, burke, naismith, smith has played the way he he did with scotland, how can any1 play mcculloch up on his own when we have boyd, god knows how boyd is still at the club, he scores goals and thats what counts, the football is boring and he was getting away with it cause o the results but now it has cost him big by not rotating enough.

Give that Kenny Miller is a priority signing, I think you'll find a lot of people disagreeing with you.

Give that Kenny Miller is a priority signing, I think you'll find a lot of people disagreeing with you.

Does it say that he is a prority signing, if he signs at all?

I, like everyone, have not got a clue why this man's name has come up, not for the fact that he's flitted between both sides of the OF, but for the simple fact that he's pish.

If he is at ibrox next year, I hope he proves us all wrong, but I doubt it very much.

That's gratitude for you, eh?

He packed the midfield and played one up front because that has been successful all season!

His tactics were spot on today. Motherwell are awful in the air and at set plays, so we packed the team full of 6 footers and bullied them. It worked a treat in the first half and we should have been a few goals up. Cousin should have sunk his chance in the second half aswell, and if he had we wouldn't be having this debate.

The time wasting and wanting Celtc to win it cause of Burns is a ridiculous thing to say, and I can't believe anyone would listen to such garbage, never mind believe it.

How were his tactics wrong for the final? They were the same all the way through the competition! Were you complaining then?

He can't just make us into a force again overnight. He has steadied the ship and next year he will look to add quality to the side. If you thought any Manager would swagger through the door after the PLG embarrassment and turn us into a free-flowing passing side that would wipe the floor with Europe's finest then you were sadly mistaken. These things take time.

His tactics and decision making can be confusing at times, but Walter Smith is the best man for the job. If he is given the time to strengthen the squad again before impatient fans like yourself force him out the door, then we will see silverware in the trophy room.

why havnt squad players been given a chance,gow?,boyd?webster? (know he has been injured a lot) buffel, burke, naismith, smith has played the way he he did with scotland, how can any1 play mcculloch up on his own when we have boyd, god knows how boyd is still at the club, he scores goals and thats what counts, the football is boring and he was getting away with it cause o the results but now it has cost him big by not rotating enough.

exactly why buy them if you dont think thier good enough play part in our season

Successful all year - one away win against the top six teams is successful? fuck me you are easily pleased. Steely has a point, Walter lost us 10 in a row with this pish, trying to protect a points lead instead of going out and winning the fucking thing. One dimensional is what we will stay because Wattie does not know how to change it anymore. Set in his ways.

We have had some great results but how many great performances????? two thre, four. it has been pish. Thank fuck for King Carlos because it has more to do with him than anything else that we have managed anything this year.

Successful all year - one away win against the top six teams is successful? fuck me you are easily pleased. Steely has a point, Walter lost us 10 in a row with this pish, trying to protect a points lead instead of going out and winning the fucking thing. One dimensional is what we will stay because Wattie does not know how to change it anymore. Set in his ways.

We have had some great results but how many great performances????? two thre, four. it has been pish. Thank fuck for King Carlos because it has more to do with him than anything else that we have managed anything this year.

great post. (tu)

100% spot on (tu)

no - ffs im gettn sick of fans saying walter has lost the league....we have come along way from last season....and im proud of the season no matter what happens.....

Rightly said mate, too many loons follow following without actually knowing what the word means.

To deny that Wattie has made progress is grossly unfair, about as unfair as accusing fans who criticise Walter's tactics and line-up's as being nothing short of fickle glory hunters. This is rubbish and those who are accusing fellow supporters of this ought to know better.

As grateful as I was to reach the Uefa Cup Final (and I was VERY grateful), those who are blindly defending Walter's line-up miss the point that there is a big difference between a two legged semi and a one-game final. I don't expect four men up front, but a different approach has to be considered for a different short of game. Tactics = flexibility guys and Walter rarely displays it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with criticising a manager's decisions, Walter is not untouchable, he is accountable, to us, the fans. To say that he is not responsible for some of our recent set-backs is absurd. He picks the team and therefore the buck stops with him.

no - ffs im gettn sick of fans saying walter has lost the league....we have come along way from last season....and im proud of the season no matter what happens.....

Rightly said mate, too many loons follow following without actually knowing what the word means.

So you are happy we have thrown away effectively a 13 point lead in the league, you are happy that we have mainly punted tha ball up to Lee & Daniel, you are happy that we have a worse defensive record than the shite that frequent the Sellik defence, you are happy we never used our squad to it's fullest when we needed to ensure players were rested, you are happy that lee McCulloch comes on after 5 weeks out in the Uefa cup final in front of our only prolific striker, you are happy that we allow shit like Motherwell and Dundee united to run over the top of our midfield, you are happy that we never ever finish teams off when we are two goals up (like last week)? So apart from all of the above are you happy with Rangers as they stand?

BE ASSURED SECOND IS NEVER GOOD ENOUGH

:rangers:

So you are happy we have thrown away effectively a 13 point lead in the league, you are happy that we have mainly punted tha ball up to Lee & Daniel, you are happy that we have a worse defensive record than the shite that frequent the Sellik defence, you are happy we never used our squad to it's fullest when we needed to ensure players were rested, you are happy that lee McCulloch comes on after 5 weeks out in the Uefa cup final in front of our only prolific striker, you are happy that we allow shit like Motherwell and Dundee united to run over the top of our midfield, you are happy that we never ever finish teams off when we are two goals up (like last week)? So apart from all of the above are you happy with Rangers as they stand?

BE ASSURED SECOND IS NEVER GOOD ENOUGH

:rangers:

Spot on (tu)

All WS has been able to do is stick his finger in the dyke (no pun intended). He has restored pride to Rangers Football Club when we were in dire need of it.

I agree his selections of late have been too conservative, but maybe, just maybe he could see that the team weren't capable of stepping up to the level where they could play 4-4-2 and destroy teams.

Maybe next season with better personnel who are more suited to a different formation he will change things, but for now i'd like to thank him for everything he's done so far and wish him all the best in the future.

What we need right now above everything is continuity and stability, WS AMcC and to a lesser extent ID, hopefully will provide this for years to come.

Sadly this is going to be the situation we find ourselevs in, and debating for the foresable future.

Scottish football is behind nearly every country in near enough every aspect of football that there is: coaching, pitches, training, playing style, diets, technique. You name it we are behind every other football nation there is and it reflects in our coaches and our general style of play.

If we want free flowing football and a modern approach towards the game then, then we must go down the route of a foreign coach.

But at the same time if we go down the foreign coach avenue again then we will fill our squad and team with players who don't appreciate what it means to play for this great club. Basically speaking, we run the risk of another PLG fiasco all over again.

The only way to avoid it is to eventually go with a knowledgable Scot who has vast experience and various contacts outwith of this country, and even they are few and far between.

Your really only looking at John Collins and John Hughes, who probably wouldn't be targetted or accepted anyway, David Moyes and Gary McAllister and after that you are struggling.

Sadly this is going to be the situation we find ourselevs in, and debating for the foresable future.

Scottish football is behind nearly every country in near enough every aspect of football that there is: coaching, pitches, training, playing style, diets, technique. You name it we are behind every other football nation there is and it reflects in our coaches and our general style of play.

If we want free flowing football and a modern approach towards the game then, then we must go down the route of a foreign coach.

But at the same time if we go down the foreign coach avenue again then we will fill our squad and team with players who don't appreciate what it means to play for this great club. Basically speaking, we run the risk of another PLG fiasco all over again.

The only way to avoid it is to eventually go with a knowledgable Scot who has vast experience and various contacts outwith of this country, and even they are few and far between.

Your really only looking at John Collins and John Hughes, who probably wouldn't be targetted or accepted anyway, David Moyes and Gary McAllister and after that you are struggling.

Great post (tu) .

About the only Scot who could match that critieria is Sir Alex Ferguson :lol:doh !!

Fact this, the issue about fitness and lifestyle was raised during the Le Guen debacle/era. Despite the Frenchman's failure, this issue never went away and is once more starting to raise its head. It is simple not enough to appoint a foreign coach and hope for the best (like Le Guen) or appoint a Scot with a few random foreigners players thrown in (like Walter).

The sort of reform programme you're talking is on the scale of a Souness scale revolution, with massive resources, a determined chairman, lots of time and a manager who is strong enough to act with total authority.

My hope now is that Walter Smith is able to lay strong foundations for Rangers to that such a manager will have something to work with should he take over. Sadly, given that Wlater seems to prefer signing 35 year olds, and given his 'conservative' tactics, IMO we'll see more of the same next year :( .

My fellow Rangers supporters. Let this be a wake up call for every Rangers supporter. The reason why we have dropped so many points is because the squad are not superhuman. That many games in that few days will knacker the best of men and squads.

The SPL KNEW and RELIED upon this. Make NO mistake. This was the result they wanted and arranged for. Why? Because like so many they have bought hook line and sinker into the bullshit that is the "poor wee victim" myth of Parkhead. It is the fashionable, politically correct thing to quietly, and subversively support the fake-irish-downtrodden.

Make NO mistake friends. THIS is what has happened. It has infiltrated the SPL, the mhedia and elsewhere.

You must now wake up and fight it with every fibre of your being. make it part of your daily consciousness.

Ooft, there's some ridiculous posturing going on today in the wake of this Motherwell game.

Being asked to play St. Mirren on Monday night then Aberdeen on Thursday night is unreasonable, no doubt. However, being asked to play our ordinary league game on Saturday, after a Wednesday European tie, is standard fare. This would seem to invalidate your implication that this was the SPL's doing, however you said some other things worthy of exploration.

"You must now wake up and fight it with every fibre of your being. make it part of your daily consciousness."

^^lol. What pish. How do you suggest I go about this? Do I just walk around looking really pissed off? Do I post more frequently on RangersMedia? Do I phone up the SPL and get them to admit they're all Celtic supporters? What a load of utter pish.

Your implication that the SPL support the "irish downtrodden" is also absolutely ridiculous. I don't have to explain why, since the burden for this as with other legless conspiracy theories, lies with the crackpot pointing the finger. Get a grip.

Walter deserves credit for taking us to a European Final. That was punching way above the teams weight. That was an unbelievable achievement.

THE SPL we looked in great position to win it. I believe Walter's tactics in the SPL plus his player selection cost us big time. Selling Hutton in January may have cost us dear too.

Lets be realistic - apart from our twin towers of Cuellar and Weir and the steadiness of Papac this team has been poor. Our RB is very weak. Our midfield is depressing. With DMB and Burke injured we have had no width. Our strikers are limited and get no decent supply. Boyd a goal machine is scarcely used.

Take away the CBS and we are very poor indeed.

Great post (tu) .

About the only Scot who could match that critieria is Sir Alex Ferguson :lol:doh !!

Fact this, the issue about fitness and lifestyle was raised during the Le Guen debacle/era. Despite the Frenchman's failure, this issue never went away and is once more starting to raise its head. It is simple not enough to appoint a foreign coach and hope for the best (like Le Guen) or appoint a Scot with a few random foreigners players thrown in (like Walter).

The sort of reform programme you're talking is on the scale of a Souness scale revolution, with massive resources, a determined chairman, lots of time and a manager who is strong enough to act with total authority.

My hope now is that Walter Smith is able to lay strong foundations for Rangers to that such a manager will have something to work with should he take over. Sadly, given that Wlater seems to prefer signing 35 year olds, and given his 'conservative' tactics, IMO we'll see more of the same next year :( .

I think our best bet right now is for Durranty to get more involved in the next few seasons, especially if Walter eventually plans to move upstairs.

Durranty has worked with the youngsters for nearly three years now. Would it be out of the question for him to take on a head of youth development role and work in line with Walter to ensure that we get the best out of them in the long term?

He knows there strengths snd weaknesses and what system suits them best. He should be telling Walter this and then making sure that the system and style we play is being implemented from the top down.

He could easily be playing a more significant role in ensuring that we use our youngsters to the best of their capabilities, while ensuring that our next batch are ready for what is going to be asked of them in a few years.

he got the tactics right for europe , but i think walters team selectionand tactics in the SPL have been poor and it may cost us the title

going forward , we are shocking

week after week the MOM awards are defenders or the Goalie

McCulloch , Adam , Cousin , all started on Saturday , why ?

they have offered our team nothing for months , they are favourites of the manager , no other reason for selection IMO

we need goals and we do not play a goalscorer , says it all for me , too defensive and too late to win the title

8 points in 18 , and we continue to play the same players and formation

Managers are where the buck stops , if we fail to win the league , he carries the can