George Boetang

George Boateng wants to leave Middlesbrough in the summer and is hoping for an offer from Celtic or Rangers.

Boro's club captain was in and out of the team last season and had a bust-up with manager Gareth Southgate midway through the campaign.

The Dutchman claims he was wanted by Celtic and Rangers in January and is unhappy he was not allowed to speak to the Old Firm duo.

He is now looking to end his five-year stint at the Riverside and the 32-year-old expects to be approached by the Scottish giants.

Difficult situation

"Before the transfer window opened five clubs were seriously interested in me," Boateng told the Scottish Sun.

"Two of the clubs were from Scotland and you can guess who they are.

"I wanted to talk to these clubs, but Southgate didn't allow it. I am very unhappy about this.

"The situation is difficult, but my time at Middlesbrough is at an end.

"I am told both Glasgow clubs will come back for me this summer."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11788_3628068,00.html

Has it become such a standard response that people blurt out "surely we can do better" without even thinking now?

I wouldn't be over the moon if we sigend him, but I certainly wouldn't meet it with the same level of negativity that the majority will.

He's tough tackling, athletic, strong, physical, experienced and has pretty good leadership skills.

Thats all things that we have lacked in the centre of the park this season.

I still think he's more likely to end up at Celtic though.

Has it become such a standard response that people blurt out "surely we can do better" without even thinking now?

I wouldn't be over the moon if we sigend him, but I certainly wouldn't meet it with the same level of negativity that the majority will.

He's tough tackling, athletic, strong, physical, experienced and has pretty good leadership skills.

Thats all things that we have lacked in the centre of the park this season.

I still think he's more likely to end up at Celtic though.

(tu) hes a very good player, I just dont think we have the room for him with Thommo, Davis (if he signs)and fergis

Very good player.......but we don't need him. Certainly not in the SPL. And I don't see him coming to Ibrox to sit on the bench, although as promising as Thomson is Boateng would push him hard for a place. But at 31, Boateng would be short term and Thomson is the future and faith should remain with him to continue his development.

Cant play Ferguson, Thomson and Davis(if he was to sign) every game. Also with Faye and Hemdani likely to leave then we are going to need another midfielder.

I agree that we could do with another midfield player. But can we afford to pay Boateng the wages he'd be asking for to possibly just sit on the bench ? Not sure.

George Boateng has told Sky Sports that he has not discussed a possible transfer to Celtic or Rangers.

The Middlesbrough midfielder was quoted on Friday as saying that he was expecting to leave the Riverside this summer.

The experienced Dutchman was also reported to have said that he was expecting the Old Firm duo to make an approach.

He was quoted in the Scottish Sun as saying: "The situation is difficult, but my time at Middlesbrough is at an end.

"I am told both Glasgow clubs will come back for me this summer."

No talks

However, the former Aston Villa midfielder, who is currently back in Holland, insists he has not discussed his future.

"I've never spoken to anyone in Scotland," Boateng told Sky Sports.

"I have never spoken to anyone about Celtic and Rangers.

"I don't know where they (the quotes) have come from."

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/278767142?-11344

With the current doubts amongst our support on Fergusons likely future, I'd have thought more people would be pro-Boateng. I think he would solve one of our biggest problems, which is our complete failure to turn up when Ferguson doesn't play. Boateng is a proven leader, and our team is hardly over-flowing with leaders.

With the current doubts amongst our support on Fergusons likely future, I'd have thought more people would be pro-Boateng. I think he would solve one of our biggest problems, which is our complete failure to turn up when Ferguson doesn't play. Boateng is a proven leader, and our team is hardly over-flowing with leaders.

he can power himself up the field and im sure he has a dig on him

I live in Middlesbrough and the wife is a Boro lass so we watch them together, Boetang was a good buy for Boro and he has served the club well, but he is definately past his best now. He has always given 100% but compared to 2 seasons ago he's running at about 60% now. As for leadership qualities his form dipped the minute he was given the armband he isn't captain material thats for sure.

Just don't think he is the right type of signing and it's not a positive move for the club.

:unionflag: :rangers: :bouncy:

He's almost 33, is this Rangers just noticing him now?

Fuck me if this is true, we can do better. Yet another defensive midfielder, if thats what we want then we should be going for Guirane N'Daw, not a player who we should of targetted 2 or 3 years ago.