Record-breaking TV deal for SPL

Boab

Publication date : Monday, June 30, 2008

Record-breaking TV deal for SPL

The SPL has agreed a landmark four year deal with Setanta Sports for live domestic broadcasting rights.

The £125 million deal will extend the current partnership from the start of season 2010/11 through to the end of season 2013/14. 60 games will be covered live each season for broadcast across the UK and Ireland.

Lex Gold, Executive Chairman of the SPL said: “Ten years ago we spoke about delivering a brighter future for Scottish football. Today, as we look ahead to our next ten years we can do so with confidence.

“An investment on this scale, £125 million, marks the biggest ever TV deal in Scottish football history. No commercial deal comes close to matching what has been achieved today by the SPL and Setanta Sports for our game.

“This is a step change for our clubs and will allow them to re-invest to make the Scottish game even stronger.

“We have moved forward with Setanta Sports over the past four years. We look forward to working with them to continue building and developing our league.â€

http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.as...4&back=home

It's a very good deal for the SPL which is, on average, not the best viewing value for money most weeks.

We're never goign to get anything that even touches the shadows of the EPL deals purley down to the simple factor that there isn't the demand for Scottish football both domestically and internationally.

That deal, along with the Clydesdale bank sponsorship deal has put the league in its strongest position ever. The only way that we'd ever be able to do any better than this is if we had an indepandent deal for TV rights in the same way that Real and barca do in Spain - something I am surprised hasn't been looked into previously. Other than that, we will need to be content with our slice of this slightly bigger cake.

Not convinced this is good news. Apart from the dreadful production values and bias, there's nothing to guarantee that this will be an increase in real terms, given possible inflation levels over the next few years. It also ties us to the SPL for 6 years.

The only good thing is that it guarantees a safety net for that term.

Good news I guess.

It makes sense for Setanta to invest more money in the SPL. If each club is given more money, they'll improve their product making the game more attractive therefore increasing demand.

I would say it's a good step forward but they need to sort their coverage out!

How much does/will each club get then?

Prob about 60% more than what they get at the moment. Think the current deal was worth about £54million.

Good deal for scottish football.

Not convinced this is good news. Apart from the dreadful production values and bias, there's nothing to guarantee that this will be an increase in real terms, given possible inflation levels over the next few years. It also ties us to the SPL for 6 years.

That is where we play our games mate and it isn't going to change.

You may as well forget the EPL it wont happen. It would have to go to a vote which we would lose as us and Celtic coming into the EPL would mean two teams being relegated from every division and no promotion.

I can't see that being given the thumbs up

You may as well forget the EPL it wont happen. It would have to go to a vote which we would lose as us and Celtic coming into the EPL would mean two teams being relegated from every division and no promotion.

I'm not referring to the SPL but the other leagues such as the Atlantic one. It would get more cash and there's more talk of it on the continent recently, but I think UEFA may head that off with a more even distribution of TV money.

We wait and see.

I'm not referring to the SPL but the other leagues such as the Atlantic one. It would get more cash and there's more talk of it on the continent recently, but I think UEFA may head that off with a more even distribution of TV money.

We wait and see.

I'm not sure about the Atlantic league either mate.

Not sure how much money that would generate. Would cost a lot for fans to go to every away game. There would be no champioons league. Although granted you could argue that by playing the atlantic league is just the same. Maybe not as much money though.

Like you say mate, we wait and see.