***Scotland vs. Northern Ireland thread***

davie1689

i would sing it loud and proud as it should be played before every international match that involves a team from the british isles not any flower of scotland or land of our fathers dirge that we have to put up with

Why should a Scot have to sing about crushing rebellious Scots?

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would sing it loud and proud as it should be played before every international match that involves a team from the british isles not any flower of scotland or land of our fathers dirge that we have to put up with

sigh

That was an unofficial verse. It was never in the full verse. The tartan army got their knickers in a twist last year when Reporting Scotland discovered it, something which most people already knew and never cared about because it was unofficial and long forgotten.

the rebellious Scots were the Jacobites, and never referred to all Scottish people. Only those of a rebellious nature - the Jacobites.

Many find GSTQ a dirge.

Yes, the shortbread brigade. I certainly don't and if you look at guys like Chris Hoy, a Scot who cried when it was played when he was won a gold the other day, suggest there are a lot who don't.

Speaking of dirges, FOS is a dirge :P GSTQ all the way :unionflag:

:rolleyes:

Each to their own, I guess.

I find GSTQ an incredibly boring song, why not have something like Rule Britannia as the GB anthem?

And while I do like FoS, I would much prefer STB as our unofficial anthem.

Hopefully GSTQ isn't booed on Wednesday(even though it likely will be) as that would get it right up a lot of you who criticise the Scotland fans(or whatever you call us :rolleyes: ) :harhar: and because I don't like anthems getting booed anyway.

And I'll be sure to bring some shortbread and pass it around while we support our country :rolleyes:

there are a few campaigns to get a different anthem for england,don't know if northern ireland have a campaign.

http://anthem4england.co.uk/

http://www.petitiononline.com/19662004/petition.html

Interesting.

Welcome to anthem4england - a website for all those English people that are heartily fed up of God Save the Queen being used as the English national anthem. For some English people English identity is coterminous with British identity. These people puzzle us; what are they thinking when the Scots and Welsh sing their anthems with gusto and then boo God Save the Queen; have they not noticed that since devolution the Scots and Welsh now govern themselves (and us), and; do they realise that English nationalism and self-awareness is resurgent, the St George's Cross having displaced the Union Flag in the affections of most English people?

We at anthem4england have noticed, and being observant types we've also noticed a lot more besides. We would like to share our views with you and receive your feedback in return, promoting discussion that will eventually lead to the English adopting an anthem for England. With that in mind this website has been designed with a level of interactivity that you, joe and josephine public, are encouraged to make use of.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with God save the Queen apart from the fact that it is the British anthem; the musical equivalent of the Union Flag..............Oh and, as a song, it blows.

This is not a republican website - though some contributors to the blog may hold those views - it is a website arguing that the English should sing an English, not British, anthem. God Save the Queen can continue to be the British anthem, to be sung as a celebration of Britishness or the monarch, by the individual nations of Britain, or by the English, Scots, Welsh and Irish when they are gathered together as Brits.

However, the British anthem should not be sung by the English as an English anthem. It may be politically convenient for the UK Government to encourage Scottishness and Welshness whilst keeping Britishness to the fore in England but it serves neither Britain nor the monarchy to do so. Not only that but it is disrespectful to England, Scotland and Wales to conflate England with Britain in this way; for England is a nation every bit as much as Scotland and Wales, and those Scots and Welsh that still consider themselves British are now obliged to boo their own anthem for fear of being regarded as traitors by an increasingly nationalistic tendency.

Those people that will accuse us of trying to diminish the monarchy, or of trying to hasten the decline of Britain, should consider how perverse it is for the Scottish and English teams to line up together with the Scots singing a Scottish anthem and the English singing a British anthem. Doesn't God Save the Queen apply equally to the English and Scottish; are we all not British?

It is worth noting that the fourth nation of the UK, Northern Ireland, also sings God Save the Queen as their national anthem. For political and sectarian reasons their case is more complicated than that of England's, but no less compelling for being so.

Of course England needs its own anthem; those English people pictured in Trafalgar Square aren't celebrating Britain, or the Queen, they are celebrating England. The English flag has replaced the British flag as the banner of the English and we now need to replace the British anthem with an English anthem.

Every other nation has a national anthem, so why not the English?

The mournful strains of God Save the Queen may be suited to a song celebrating the monarchy but it does not stir the blood, just look at the way English sportsmen shuffle uncomfortably from foot to foot, eyes down, looking for all the world like they wished the ground would open up and swallow them when God Save the Queen is playing.

England needs an anthem that represents England, why should the British National Anthem continue to be played and sung at occasions which are strictly English affairs? And why should they Scots and Welsh be permitted to say ‘it is the English anthem’ as an excuse for booing God Save the Queen?

No longer should the English be expect to sing a song that amounts to little more than forelock- tugging set to music. It’s cringe-making and toe-curlingly embarrassing.

The use of God Save the Queen as both the English and British national anthem does nothing for Anglo-Scottish/Welsh relations, as demonstrated by this letter to the Western Mail; 14th Sep, 2005:

SIR - Regarding the booing of God Save The Queen at the Millennium Stadium, the tradition of booing goes back to the days (not so long ago) when the English national anthem was routinely played after Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau - regardless of who we were playing.

It was meant as a reminder to us in Wales of our subject status. That is why it is routinely booed. Or it may be a critical reaction to the quality of the singing and the music. the lyrics are fairly demeaning, too. the second verse reads: O Lord our God, arise, Scatter our enemies, And make them fall; Confound their politics, Frustrate their knavish tricks; On thee our hopes we fix: God save us all. Unpleasant stuff. Isn't it time the English got a better anthem?

Indeed, it is time for the English to sing in celebration of England.

I'll be at the game and will sing GSTQ and FOS with equal amounts of gusto.

I bet some prick tries and starts something with me but fuck them... it's the anthem of my Britain, our Britain... GREAT Britain and I will sing it whenever it is being sung.

I'll be at the game and will sing GSTQ and FOS with equal amounts of gusto.

I bet some prick tries and starts something with me but fuck them... it's the anthem of my Britain, our Britain... GREAT Britain and I will sing it whenever it is being sung.

Good luck (tu)

Because the rebelious Scots wanted a return to Stewart tyranny

Because the rebelious Scots wanted a return to Stewart tyranny

A bunch of teuchters did, Scots fought on both sides.

after all the slagging the Gers players got when they pulled out of the last friendly....

BBC

Five players have withdrawn from the Scotland squad to face Northern Ireland in Wednesday's friendly at Hampden.

Celtic duo Gary Caldwell and Paul Hartley have joined Cardiff City's Kevin McNaughton and Gavin Rae on the sidelines for George Burley's side.

after all the slagging the Gers players got when they pulled out of the last friendly....

BBC

Five players have withdrawn from the Scotland squad to face Northern Ireland in Wednesday's friendly at Hampden.

Celtic duo Gary Caldwell and Paul Hartley have joined Cardiff City's Kevin McNaughton and Gavin Rae on the sidelines for George Burley's side.

just read that myself on the bbc site - after all their sanctamonious bs about how it was an honour to be chosen to play for your country (it is) and that they would never pull out of a friendly!

Caldwell and Hartley withdraw, i wait for Celtic to get the media bashing we keep getting for players withdrawing from Scotland squads for friendlies. But we all know that won't happen. :rolleyes:

yeah self righteous Tix were phoning Superscoreboard in swathes when our players withdrew

I wouldn't open my curtains if they were playing in my back garden.

Two very poor sides, and with even more call-offs makes a mockery of calling it a full international.

Weir geting called up as cover after Caldwell pulls out is even more ridiculous. If Burley is trying to say he doesn't need Weir as he is planning for 2010, why does he call him up now and not a young centre half who may be coming through the ranks. Weir should tell him where to go.

I have always thought it ridiculous to have international friendlies at this very early stage of the season. Like pre-season friendlies, they tell you nothing about the state of your team, and it is so different from the real WC games.

I hope none of our players play, and are all fit for a very difficult and far more important match against the sheep on Saturday.

I wouldn't open my curtains if they were playing in my back garden.

Two very poor sides, and with even more call-offs makes a mockery of calling it a full international.

Weir geting called up as cover after Caldwell pulls out is even more ridiculous. If Burley is trying to say he doesn't need Weir as he is planning for 2010, why does he call him up now and not a young centre half who may be coming through the ranks. Weir should tell him where to go.

I have always thought it ridiculous to have international friendlies at this very early stage of the season. Like pre-season friendlies, they tell you nothing about the state of your team, and it is so different from the real WC games.

I hope none of our players play, and are all fit for a very difficult and far more important match against the sheep on Saturday.

They lost money not qualifying for Euro 08 so the wankers at the SFA have to get some money

Gutted the big man Lafferty is no fit!

Delighted with that, it improves his chances of being ready for us for the sheep game on saturday, and also spares him from being booed by our tartan army tosspots.

Tend to agree with that.

Glad the big man Lafferty is no fit!

Delighted with that, it improves his chances of being ready for us for the sheep game on saturday, and also spares him from being booed by our tartan army tosspots.

Tend to agree with that.

Suppose i see your points!!

Tend to forget the great unwashed have Scottish fans!