Champions League this week

jamd1986

It begins all over again this Tuesday - the world's most exciting club football competition.

Whilst it is very disappointing that we are not involved this year, despite having a piss easy route to get there, I thought it would be nice to share our favourite Champions League memories.

Just to get some memories stirring...

I for one have so many.

- Reyna's goal against Parma in the qualifiers 1999.

- Several games from last season's campaign: 3-0 against Lyon, the Barca games, Stuttgart at home.

- Lovenkrands goal against Inter Milan a few years back.

- Lovenkrands goal against Villareal.

Whats yours?

The victory in Lyon last season has to be our best european result in the last 30 years. Was standing there actually in disbelief, we're really 3-0 up at one of the best sides in europes on backyard.

Unbelievable.

The victory in Lyon last season has to be our best european result in the last 30 years. Was standing there actually in disbelief, we're really 3-0 up at one of the best sides in europes on backyard.

Unbelievable.

(tu) That was brilliant

Unbelievable.

Yeah, it really was.

I just love everything about those games. The build up on those cold autumn and winter nights, the atmosphere and excitement - there is nothing like it!

Looking at this years teams, something about it just doesn't seem all that glamorous?

Theres tons of diddy teams in it. Sometimes two in one group (Aalborg and Celtic for example).

I agree actually. It does look to be one of, if not the weakest ever.

Looking at this years teams, something about it just doesn't seem all that glamorous?

Theres tons of diddy teams in it. Sometimes two in one group (Aalborg and Celtic for example).

Well we all know that Man Utd will win that group - but who will get the 3rd spot? I have an inclune that Aalborg will :) tims on a single point sitting in 4th place

I would go as far as saying it's the weakest ever. Pity we're not there, might have made a wee impact.

I would go as far as saying it's the weakest ever. Pity we're not there, might have made a wee impact.

Indeed :(

Alas if we concentrate on winning the league then obviously we'll be there again next year.

It's terrible this year, and that's not a bias view.

The games against Bayern in 1999/2000,both victories against PSV in the same season.

The two victories against Stuttgart : 2-1 in 2003 i believe,and 2-1 last season.

The amazing run in 2005/2006,especially the games at Ibrox against Inter and Villareal,and ofc Porto.

All great nights, even getting horsed 4-0 by Juventus! It should make our players all the more determined to ensure we win the league and march straight there next season.

It was a a joy just to watch Juve that night.

That was a while ago now... one of my first European games. Brings back the memories :rangers:

All great nights, even getting horsed 4-0 by Juventus! It should make our players all the more determined to ensure we win the league and march straight there next season.

Del Piero was insane that night. I remember watching it as a kid and being totally awe-struck by him.

The PSV 4-1 game was probably my favourite Champions League game involving Rangers. They had players like Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Luc Nilis, Ernest Faber and Mark Van Bommel yet we absolutely destroyed them. Mols was sublime that night.

Funnily enough, the memory that sticks out for me with that game was the crowd giving Perluigi Collina pelters after he awarded them a dubious penalty!

I remember Celtic beat Juve Reserves 4-3 at Parkhead, for some odd reason.

Del Piero opened the scoring that night with a free kick that was beyond words. I don't know why I remember that so well.

Haha, i remember that game as well, i also dont know why.

Juve dropped the likes of Buffon and Trezeguet and instead went with Carini and Amoroso. As you say, they put out a reserve team.

Didn't stop the press from portraying it as a huge victory for Scottish football though. :rolleyes:

I remember Celtic beat Juve Reserves 4-3 at Parkhead, for some odd reason.

Del Piero opened the scoring that night with a free kick that was beyond words. I don't know why I remember that so well.

Haha, i remember that game as well, i also dont know why.

Juve dropped the likes of Buffon and Trezeguet and instead went with Carini and Amoroso. As you say, they put out a reserve team.

Didn't stop the press from portraying it as a huge victory for Scottish football though. :rolleyes:

:lol:

As soon as Trezeguet came on, he strolled through their defence as if they weren't even there to bag a double.

The furore around that win was fucking ridiculous (td)