What a signing they would have been!

LegendofCoop

No but he was a massive Gers fan.

Why did he sign for Celtic then?

Like any child growing up, Dalglish wanted to play for the team he supported, but Rangers never approached him. Instead, in May 1967, Celtic manager Jock Stein sent his assistant Sean Fallon to ask Dalglish’s Protestant parents if they would let their son play for Catholic Celtic. Fallon was successful and Celtic loaned Dalglish out to Cumbernauld United, who were a Celtic nursery team. Along with this, he worked as an apprentice Joiner but was offered a professional contract a year later and started to play regularly for the reserves.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like any child growing up, Dalglish wanted to play for the team he supported, but Rangers never approached him. Instead, in May 1967, Celtic manager Jock Stein sent his assistant Sean Fallon to ask Dalglish’s Protestant parents if they would let their son play for Catholic Celtic. Fallon was successful and Celtic loaned Dalglish out to Cumbernauld United, who were a Celtic nursery team. Along with this, he worked as an apprentice Joiner but was offered a professional contract a year later and started to play regularly for the reserves.

I always thought Dalglish played for Rangers, when he was younger and got released and thats how he ended up at Celtic.

I always thought Dalglish played for Rangers, when he was younger and got released and thats how he ended up at Celtic.

I stand corrected, sorry minstral :hail:

Dalglish grew up supporting Rangers. Though born in Dalmarnock in the East End of Glasgow, he was brought up in Milton in the north of Glasgow and moved to the docklands of Govan, near Ibrox, home of Rangers when he was 15. He was a neighbour of Alex Ferguson - the current manager of Manchester United.

Dalglish attended Milton Bank Primary School in Milton and started out as a goalkeeper. Frank McAvennie, another well known footballer, also grew up in the same area and attended the same school. He was attending High Possil Senior Secondary School where he won the inter schools 5 a side and the inter year 5 a side competions when he appeared for the Scotland under-15s in a fixture against their Northern Irish counterparts he was playing outfield as a right-half, scoring twice. He caught the eye of a journalist reporting for Sunday paper The People during his next game for the under-15s' game against England, the reporter was so impressed he wrote of Dalglish, "a brilliant ball player."[citation needed]

He had trials at West Ham (twice) and notably at Liverpool, but they came to nothing.[1] Dalglish, the son of an engineer, instead signed for Celtic, age-old Old Firm rivals of his childhood favourites, Rangers.

Because he was a football man. He was a bigger Rangers fan than many of us, I'd speculate from what I've read. But I also suspect that his passion for football underpinned that, as with many legends of the game. The game is so important to them that their relationship with it means more than any badge or crest..... and I like that attitude in a way (as a footballing enthusiast).

Why did Scott Brown?

Why does Scott Brown never roll his socks down?

I don't know. <cr>

Scott Brown is/was also a massive Rangers supporter so why did he sign for the scum?

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Read the next post up Coopsy^^^.

But yeah, football is bizarre at times.

Seb Rosenthal was a keeper at under 16 level, Ronaldo de Luis Nazario was a keeper until under 14s and the great Lev Yashin was actually a reformed hockey goalkeeper who only went in goals because he'd been branded useless in every other position by the coaches of his youth team. The rest is history- R.I.P Yashin, arguably the greatest man ever to stand beneath the auld woodwork.

Why did Scott Brown?

I don't know. <cr>

Scott Brown is/was also a massive Rangers supporter so why did he sign for the scum?

First part....he has a Gers tattoo on one of his calf muscles!!! (Allegedly!).

Second part....$$$$$$$

Read the next post up Coopsy^^^.

But yeah, football is bizarre at times.

Seb Rosenthal was a keeper at under 16 level, Ronaldo de Luis Nazario was a keeper until under 14s and the great Lev Yashin was actually a reformed hockey goalkeeper who only went in goals because he'd been branded useless in every other position by the coaches of his youth team. The rest is history- R.I.P Yashin, arguably the greatest man ever to stand beneath the auld woodwork.

Ahhh Lev Yashin, the most influential man in the history of goalkeeping.

The inventor of the "sweeper keeper".

Why did Scott Brown?

I don't know. <cr>

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

I know that, but has it brought him happiness?

RVN, Ronaldo and also the unmentioned Shevchenko. All during Advocaats time.

Im sure it was Rebrov we were looking at, not Shevchenko. The papers just got mixed up.

I don't buy into the whole Ronaldo link either. It was a daft story that cropped up in the Sunday Mail years ago.

Ronaldo tore up La Liga even, in a way that not even Maradona has done, imo. At barcelona the ''wonderkid'' tag would have been a considerable understatement.

''Wonderkid among wonderkids'', one might render.

Ronaldo tore up La Liga even, in a way that not even Maradona has done, imo. At barcelona the ''wonderkid'' tag would have been a considerable understatement. ''Wonderkid among wonderkids'', one might render.

RVN, Ronaldo and also the unmentioned Shevchenko. All during Advocaats time.

Im sure it was Rebrov we were looking at, not Shevchenko. The papers just got mixed up.

I don't buy into the whole Ronaldo link either. It was a daft story that cropped up in the Sunday Mail years ago.

Maybe. I know I remember reading about Shevchenko before he got his move to AC. I also remember the Rebrov one but i thought that was a season or two later. :unsure: