Walter Smith: Faceless fans are tarnishing the club

NOLUWDC

There seems to be a fair degree of ''they do it so why cant we do it'' mentalities.

I still dont think he is having a dig at me coz ive not done anything wrong, so I dont get angry.

I still dont class the people he is talking about as fans. The people he is talking about are the ones who do spout this 'bile' and there are quite a few. Its not club tradition to be sectarian.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right mate, we do have a staunch protestant support. Everyone knows that. That isn;t the issue. It is the people who wont let the sectarianism go. Personally myself I do;t care what anyone shouts or sings. It is all banter in my eyes.

But if it starts to reflect badly on the club then I would question the loyalty of those supporters. Because basically, in my opinion, they are saying I don;t care if it looks bad on Rangers FC, I am going to continue spouting my protestant bile.

As I say though, it aint as bad as that because people are more doing it on forums now, than in the public. BUt the media are hanging on every word and reporting it in the papers. And that is Walters point.

What exactly is Protestant bile?

See BD's Post #51 for an explanation. Very sad, yet true

So whats the problem that's his own believes, are we not allowed to have our own believes. I believe the Roman Catholic church is false, does that make me a bigot. It's my belief are you telling me I shouldn't have this belief?

Have whatever beliefs you like, but please dont bring them to a football match.

I believe all religions are false. I support Rangers football club. If I followed any religion or denomination I'd go to Church to sing about it, not Ibrox.

There seems to be a fair degree of ''they do it so why cant we do it'' mentalities.

I still dont think he is having a dig at me coz ive not done anything wrong, so I dont get angry.

I still dont class the people he is talking about as fans. The people he is talking about are the ones who do spout this 'bile' and there are quite a few. Its not club tradition to be sectarian.

So your a better fan than me then are you pal?

I believe all religions are false. I support Rangers football club. If I followed any religion or denomination I'd go to Church to sing about it, not Ibrox.

You just don't get it do you?

What is it that he doesn't get?

that your so funny

Nothing that concerns you.

Nothing that you.

Oh I think I'll decide that. What is it that he doesn't get?

If you are saying that that you are one of the ones spouting the bile and you are infact a sectarian, then YES I AM a better fan than you and I am infact a better person than you. You are the kind of person I avoid in life.

If you loved your Club you would not put it and its fans in jeopardy by saying these thing. Your there for the Religion not the Club.

If your not sectarian or a bigot then I am your equal.

anyway why is smith sticking his nose in, i thought bain got payed for that and our manager gets paid tp put a team on to the park capable of beating st mirren and keeping us in europe.

Good point Minstral....

Walter is entitled to have an opinion on most matters but he'd been far better served concentrating on stuff he is an expert in rather than get involved in this constant, tedious sectarianism debate.

If you are saying that that you are one of the ones spouting the bile and you are infact a sectarian, then YES I AM a better fan than you and I am infact a better person than you. You are the kind of person I avoid in life.

If you loved your Club you would not put it and its fans in jeopardy by saying these thing. Your there for the Religion not the Club.

you might not like this but our club has lived of religion most of its life, they have been happy to take the good protestant money.

you might not like this but our club has lived of religion most of its life, they have been happy to take the good protestant money.

Yeah thats fine. The same way its fine for the Protestant or Catholic church to collect its money from the congregation. The difference being you dont sit in a Protestant church singing songs about how the Catholics are the devil and everyone should go burn down their churches. They let them get on with it and concern themselves with their own.

I very much doubt he just blurted out his feelings unprovoked. Seems likely to me that he will have been asked about it and tried to give an honest answer.

No doubt about it. It was part of the interview.

But it was a part he could easily have said he didn't want to talk about instead of allowing the media to put their negative spin on his comments.

Yeah thats fine. The same way its fine for the Protestant or Catholic church to collect its money from the congregation. The difference being you dont sit in a Protestant church singing songs about how the Catholics are the devil and everyone should go burn down their churches. They let them get on with it and concern themselves with their own.

when at ibrox do you hear any singing about catholics.

Not much now granted, but the original platform this arguement is based on is the 'forum' culture etc.

People just make things up as they go along, I can honestly say I have never heard a Rangers fan at Ibrox say he is going to kill a Catholic, burn their chapels or even sing they hate them in my life.

Anyway, once again, what songs should I not sing? The Sash, Derry's Walls?

Not much now granted, but the original platform this arguement is based on is the 'forum' culture etc.

so what songs do you and walter seem to have a problem with.

I understand your point of view (and actually agree some people are over-egging the pudding here) but let's get one thing straight - there is no singing at Ibrox about catholics; none at all.

As for bile and or anything else SDM/Smith talked about lately, I don't think they were talking in specific terms about forums or about us people who use them. More towards the kind of crap we see on YouTube etc which is a bit beyond the pale and does the club harm.

Generally forums are well moderated to avoid that.

People just make things up as they go along, I can honestly say I have never heard a Rangers fan at Ibrox say he is going to kill a Catholic, burn their chapels or even sing they hate them in my life.

Anyway, once again, what songs should I not sing? The Sash, Derry's Walls?

Im not asking you not to sing any songs. Thats not the issue. The issue is the internet culture and the things people are able to say. That is what Murray and Walter were talking about.

I think he was right to give his opinion when questioned. I can see the issue if he had just made a statement, but as part of an interview, I am in no doubt that he should give his opinions. We're being attacked from all angles, and his shirking away from the question would not have helped at all. Disagree with what he says by all means. But I still think he is right to have said it.

Fair enough. But his comments have added to the all-angle attack - not alleviated it.

He's hard poor guidance here from MediaHouse but Walter should really have known better than to get involved in a subject no win is winning out of IMO.