Does anyone else think Mendes is toiling?

Danny

I wouldn't for one moment suggest he's a poor player, but he's not playing well for us anymore.

His last significant display was at Parkhead, and while he's created a few goals such as Boyd's on Tuesday, he doesn't seem to be focused at all.

Tuesday saw him eased off the ball repeatedly, passing the ball to opposition players, plus trying too many classy visionary passes which ended up being intercepted.

Today saw more of the same, and honestly I was glad when he was taken off. I don't know what is up with him, but for me he's not playing as I believe he is capable of, and as he did in the first month here.

He was constant motm, now he's barely registering on the list of candidates.

This is my honest opinion, and I accept I may be in the minority, but the player rater has him at about 6.7. Which suggests you guys aren't rating him that highly any more either.

Thoughts?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact there are 2 people agreeing with me suggests my opinion isn't the insanity some would try to have me believe.

Mendes showed so much magic and invention, plus deft touches and control in the first while. But of late he struggles to engage any of that, and gives the ball away all the time.

If he was Charlie Adam, the amount of times he loses the ball he'd get absolutely slaughtered for.

And like Charlie, he tries the visionary passes too much - like Charlie they aren't coming off half the time.

Davis's form has been more of a concern for me.

Mendes hasnt been as great but its just a dip in form that will happen to everyone. Even an off form Mendes is an asset to our team, you still expect 'that pass'

Not too much of a worry, probably just needing a rest.

Mendes is our best player. Even when not at his best he constantly moves and helps out other players. His vision is way beyond anyone else in the team. He covers more ground than anyone else.

Much more consistent than Davis or Thomson.

Walter doesn't set his team up to play to Mendes or Davis's strengths. With them two, the whole way the team play should be built around them. Keep ball, not kick and rush football. I think Walter kind of just accepts players giving the ball away, aslong as they get it back and tbh, i don't agree thats the way football should be looked upon.

In the OF game, Mendes and Davis ran the show. Keeping it in midfield, releasing the ball at the proper time and every pass going forward was a threat.

Why don't we keep playing that way?

Even when he's not at his majestic best, he's still quality. I think he's the kind of player that might not grab the spotlight with goals or wonderful assists every game, but I believe his movement and vision are top class.

Even when he's not at his majestic best, he's still quality. I think he's the kind of player that might not grab the spotlight with goals or wonderful assists every game, but I believe his movement and vision are top class.

He is a CL winner. Easily our best and classiest player. Has he shaded off a bit in a few games - yes, but he needs the help of the others who are not too consistent especially in midfield.

thats the way lets feed the mendes back to spurs thread , he may not have played as well but there are far more than him and also the fact watty dont seem to know you can put substitutes on when ever you want

I thought he played pretty well yesterday......watch Pedro on the bigger pitches,smaller ones away from home with Bog park and maybe Tyncastle the exception ,don't suit his passing ability.He had loads of drive yesterday and picked out some belters

In the first half yesterday Davis and Novo were awful. Mendes was the only one in midfield doing anything going forward - who made the pass for Novo's shot against the post. Last performance the OF game? Utter drivel. Yet another topic from Danny criticising one of our best players. We've scored an average of four goals a game for the last 3 matches and Mendes is the only midfielder playing we didn't have last year

Even though he has had a few quiet games i don't thimk it merits the calls for Mendes to be droppped/rested.

When he has a quite game, he is still the kind of player that can pop up and give us that killer pass/moment that can win us a game !

And just having him in the team gives the opposition someting to worry about, he is a genuine threat, which is something we have lacked in the last few years !!!

:header: :header:

It may still take him a while to settle to our football, even the weather may be causing him a problem since it's hard to play quality football in the driving wind and rain when you aren't used to it

It never rained in England you know, the weather cliche again

Even when he isn't "playing well" Mendes still makes our team a completely different proposition with his willingness to get on the ball and the way he always looks to play a forward pass.

If we lose or drop Mendes, we become the same team we were last year.

He is that important.