We really have missed Ferguson.

Danny

Absence has probably made mine heart grow fonder, but when Barry came on, passed the ball around with ease, looked completely comfortable on the ball, screamed for passes, instructed players, and wanted to be involved, it just looked like something I have really wanted to see.

One of his first passes was that 30 yard raking through ball for Boyd - he clearly hasn't lost a thing - and even looks trimmer, leaner, and 100% up for it.

I suspect he will be a starter soon tbh, and maybe his presence alongside Mendes will give the Portuguese a lift and help, regardless of whether or not you agree with my current opinion of Mendes' form.

Don't think we have missed him at all. Bar two passes he was rottten and is nowhere near fully fit. I even though his timing for jumping for the ball was terrible.

Yet again he slowed the game down and got in people's road. Thomson had the ball and Ferguson came within 3 yards of him and demanded the ball only to slow it down and then pass it 5 yards - surely Thomson could of done that himself?

I agree with you on Mendes tho.

I agree with you regarding Mendes' drop in form. Since Hamilton away in particular, he's been lacking something. However, I have serious reservations about whether Barry is the answer. I'd imagine if Mendes and Ferguson play together, Ferguson's presence will limit Mendes' impact on a game, which would work against us. Ferguson seems to have to slow the game down to his pace, whereas Mendes appears more comfortable taking things as they come.

Yet again he slowed the game down and got in people's road. Thomson had the ball and Ferguson came within 3 yards of him and demanded the ball only to slow it down and then pass it 5 yards - surely Thomson could of done that himself?

I have to say, that's the way I saw it too.

He seemed to want Thomson to push forward and take over the holding role. In the end I think both ended up staying back.

When fit though, we will have an awesome four....as long as Thomson's injury isn't too bad!!! *crosses fingers*

Well you're right about him being a starter soon unless Thomson's injury is much less serious than it looked. However, I haven't been that impressed with his performances so far - on several occasions over the last three games I've seen him take the ball with no opposing players near him but still turn and play the ball backwards. This is something he did a lot last year and I was hoping it was because he was struggling with the injury. Hopefully he will improve with matches but he really does need to try and keep the game moving

Absence has probably made mine heart grow fonder, but when Barry came on, passed the ball around with ease, looked completely comfortable on the ball, screamed for passes, instructed players, and wanted to be involved, it just looked like something I have really wanted to see.

One of his first passes was that 30 yard raking through ball for Boyd - he clearly hasn't lost a thing - and even looks trimmer, leaner, and 100% up for it.

I suspect he will be a starter soon tbh, and maybe his presence alongside Mendes will give the Portuguese a lift and help, regardless of whether or not you agree with my current opinion of Mendes' form.

I agree. Although I think Mendes was decent today and good against ICT last week.

In an ideal world, he should be fully fit before he plays again, or it will be performances like last year. He will play, though, and he will now start every game for the rest of the season. We'll just have to get used to it, and hope he is fully fit soon.

A great player and one we have missed - St Mirren, Hamilton and Kaunus all may have been different with him in the team - wrt hm slowing a game down - sometimes that is what is needed - he is still our best palyer (and I include Mendes in that assesment).

And a point to note: 30 minutes after the game yesterday Barry was still out on the park - doing sprints and running i.e. putting in the extra work to make sure he gets back to being as fit as possible.

Motivated, a leader, and class!

Not really understanding why everyone's jumping on Mendes, quite bizarre really.

Maybe we're just more 'used' to having a player like him in the side now. His passing is still superb, the time he finds in possession is still head and shoulders above everyone else in the team.

I don't care about Barry Ferguson, I care about the side as a whole. We don't have a tackler in midfield now and it'll affect us more than people think.

Not really understanding why everyone's jumping on Mendes, quite bizarre really.

Maybe we're just more 'used' to having a player like him in the side now. His passing is still superb, the time he finds in possession is still head and shoulders above everyone else in the team.

I don't care about Barry Ferguson, I care about the side as a whole. We don't have a tackler in midfield now and it'll affect us more than people think.

Exactly, before mendes arrived when was the last time we someone continually probing defences with through balls and driving the game forward from the middle of the park?

How quickly people seem to forget the Kaunus Debacle and fail to appreciate what we now have - the best forward thinking midfielder in the league.

Even when Pedro's not playing at his best (which I agree, he hasn't in the past 3 games), he can still hit the disguised reverse ball that no-one else in our team can.

Again, I'm not buying into it. I get the feeling Mendes is Danny's new whipping boy for not being MOTM every other game.

For the teams sake, I hope both players find a way to play together. If it clicks, we'll walk the league.

If it doesn't, get Edu into the 'tackler' role.

Are you mad Danny ? We havent missed Barry Backpass one bit, we managed to demolish the tattie pickers without him so what does that tell you ?

He just looks like he is going to clutter up the midfield now i dont know how many times yesterday he seemed scared to turn with the ball and would just pass it back to the defence every time and this has happened every time hes came on as a sub.

Two passes apart, the only thing I noticed about Barry yesterday was that he was stepping on Thomson's toes almost every time the ball was there.

He totally got in Thommo's way at least twice, once forcing him into changing a pass.

Mendes gives Kev the room to play.

Was gutted when KT got injured to the extent I did not even cheer the miller goal (although I was delighted) just that over-shadowed the victory, I just hope its not as bad as first feared, Personally for me he is in our top 3 best players this year!!

And before anyone mentions it (ferguson supposed haters) davis will not be moving into the centre so get that oot yer noodle ferguson will start there now, Like last season smith sees davis as a right winger (crazy I agree totally wasted) and always will,

Still feel ferguson needs more time does not look sharp I would say another 2/3 weeks, Maybe give whitty chance on the right and move davis inside my personal suggestion (its either that or burke).

But above all get well KT and hurry back!!! :unionflag:

barry slow the play down? st mirren - midfield could not have been any slower that day and yesterday for the first 30 minutes , wasn't until the penalty that they woke up. everyone moans about barry last year, there was no player forward enough to pass to because of the tactics installed by walter.

some fans are just so blinkered

Fergie is a quality player , it remains to be seen if we have missed him or not , our quality of football from midfield this year is miles better than last year, is that because Fergie is not playing and other players are expressing themselves more? I do not know ,it will be interesting to see in the next few weeks if barry will make a difference or not

Mendes is still the main man for me , movement and pasing is excellent , hopefully Fergie will slot in and play with Mendes with no problems

Ok, I think I used the wrong word. Not so much 'missed' as 'underestimated'.

I think 'back pass' concepts are unfair - his through ball for Boyd was excellent, and I don't hear Mendes and Thomson get the same pelters for passing to the side. And they do it plenty.

Even when Pedro's not playing at his best (which I agree, he hasn't in the past 3 games), he can still hit the disguised reverse ball that no-one else in our team can.

Yes, but 2 times out of 10 it actually goes to one of our own players.

I think 'back pass' concepts are unfair - his through ball for Boyd was excellent, and I don't hear Mendes and Thomson get the same pelters for passing to the side. And they do it plenty.

I think we have missed Barry, not the one that played last season through injury, but the one who is still our best player. I just hope it is the latter one that we have from now on, and his 'haters' will have to eat their words. :)

I think we have missed Barry, not the one that played last season through injury, but the one who is still our best player. I just hope it is the latter one that we have from now on, and his 'haters' will have to eat their words. :)

Oh for fuck sake.

The 'haters' tag comes out again doh

Take Mendes out the team and we have almost the same team as last season that failed to dominate games and win the SPL title.

Pedro Mendes is a cut above Barry Ferguson and doesnt get the credit he deserves for the role he has played in the Rangers team