D Murray - 20 Years in Charge

nvager

Congratulations on reaching 20years.

IMO 5 years to long.

10 for me. With the benefit of hindsight, once 9iar was out of the way any progress has been cosmetic at best and he would have a far greater legacy had he left then, with the club's finances in good nick and the team on a high. Indeed if you look at where we were 20 years ago and where we are now, how much have we progressed in that time? We've won a fair few leagues and cups but only two good years in europe in all that time. Apart from that there are some changes to the stadium (corners filled in, club deck, Bar 72, capacity increased by around 7,000) and the addition of Auchenhowie. We have lost the Edmiston Club and the ticket office and we are financially worse off than in '88. We have capitulated to Nonentities at Uefa, the scottish mhedia, the SFA and the SPHell.

Where we once set the standards and took no shit from anyone, now we are run by people who seem happy to accept 2nd best, are ashamed of our heritage and would rather do the mhedia's work for them by attacking the Loyal fanbase. Where we once had a CEO in Campbell Ogilvie, who came up with the idea for the Champions League, now we have a former bar manager and failed male model.

In some ways we are a more modern club than 20 years ago but in others we have badly regressed. Back then we had a manager who revolutionised Scottish football, perhaps even British football. Now we have a football dinosaur who is either unwilling or unable (or both) to make changes that even the fans in the stand can see need to be made. He also has no faith in the youth players, who are among the best we've had for a long long time. Worst of all he is Murray's pal and is virtually bombproof, no matter our form. Dangerous, considering how crucial it is that we win the league this year.

We've had a lot of good times under Murray, in the first decade of his reign anyway. Back then we had many (domestic) successes and a lot of legends to revere, as well as a shit load of overpaid duds, but the last ten years have been dominated by failure, mediocrity, capitulation and, in my opinion, downright dishonesty. There is now a Grand Canyon sized chasm between the club and it's fanbase and little evidence of any effort on the part of the club to heal it. Indeed, why should they, as long as the fanbase blindly continue to pump their money into a club run by a lame duck with no new money and no new ideas to bring in new money?

Sorry for the negativity of this post but surely most on here can see it's only mediocrity from now until Murray leaves.

One of the best posts I've read on here.

Came up with 30m or so for Walter these past two seasons who made a mess of spending about half of it.

I blame Walter more than Murray.

Yes but read the post. It isn't just about on the field. Anyway, that money that Walter spent isn't his, it belongs to Rangers FC.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interview on sportsound tomorrow between 7 and 8

apparently quite an explosive one

Jim Traynor and Chick Young seem to think that if Liewell and Reid react to it then it could become very heated - we'll just have to wait and see.

Jim Traynor and Chick Young seem to think that if Liewell and Reid react to it then it could become very heated - we'll just have to wait and see.

Now i'm really interested what SDM has to say

Now i'm really interested what SDM has to say

Me too. With a bit of doubt though.

Legends line up to praise man who modernised Gers - and Scots game

by Alison McConnell

RANGERS chairman Sir David Murray celebrates 20 years in charge at Ibrox this weekend.

Few could doubt the influence Murray has had on the club and, although he has made no secret of the fact he will sell up in the near future, he has firmly embedded himself into the history books at the club.

In the two decades he has been at the helm, he has played a significant part in revolutionising the Scottish game and overseen some momentous occasions at the club. He was responsible for rebuilding Ibrox, for setting up the Rangers Charity Foundation and for pouring millions of his own money into the club.

Here are the thoughts of the men who know him best, selected from today's special edition of the Rangers News.

advertisement

GRAEME SOUNESS

"He was first and foremost a businessman and he realised there was enormous potential in Rangers. I did warn him that if he became totally involved then it would take over his life. When you immerse yourself in it, everything else takes second place - including your family.

"We didn't have to change much when he came in because there was nothing to change. We were very successful. We were the dominant force in the British transfer market at that time. We were spending big money and we had half the English squad in our team at that time. David has never felt sorry for himself. He is very much up and at em and seems to thrive on that. He is a very special human being."

WALTER SMITH

"The great thing about the chairman is that he has always been 100 per cent behind his mangers. If a change has to be made, as it had to be in my own case, then he does so in the best poss-ible manner and while you are in the job you can be assured of his backing.

"It was a little bit of a surprise when I got the call to come back. When Paul Le Guen came I was Scotland manager at the time and I didn't expect the Rangers job to be available again so quickly.

"In comparison to the old days when Rangers had very few managers, there has been a turnover in more recent times, but even then it has been three or four years at least between managers.

"So I was surprised when I got the call and it left me with a huge decision to make, but one I was happy to make.

"The one thing that is notice-able about the chairman more than anything is that when we do things you never see him. The only time he puts himself in front of the cameras is when the club is having a little bit of a problem.

"That is the measure of him. He is not here for the glory. Last season in Manchester after the Uefa Cup Final is the first time I can remember him coming to a post-match dinner.

"In my first time as manager he came out and supported me when the flak was flying and he has done that with all of his managers.

"Thirty trophies have been won during his time and that is fantastic. I don't imagine there are many chairmen across Europe who can match that level of success.

"He has led Rangers through difficult periods, like the rise of the Premiership and the disparity that exists between English and Scottish clubs financially.

"Despite the financial problems, he has been charged with making sure the club continues to challenge and few people could have handled it in the way he has done."

DICK ADVOCAAT

"For me and my family the best time in my life was spent with Rangers. They are a special club and they were special times when I was there. I think every manager hopes to work with someone like David and I was lucky. He is unique. Everyone knows about his terrible accident when he was a young man, but I never heard him complain once about his disability.

"We scarcely disagreed. We had some discussions, but every time there was a solution. David was a friend from the start and he will remain a friend forever."

BARRY FERGUSON

"I've known David for a long time now. It's not like it has just been since I turned full-time here, it goes much further back.

"I first met him when I started out here as a schoolboy. From when I started coming in to train at the age of 10, I've known who he is. We go back a long way and he is a guy I have enormous respect for.

"Not many people get the opportunity to come back to a club and I'm thankful the chairman gave me that chance. I made a big mistake in going to Blackburn. I knew that after being down there for a week or two and it was good of Mr Murray to come back in for me.

"Leaving Rangers was the biggest mistake I ever made and I owe him a lot for taking me back.

"He comes into Murray Park once or twice a month and comes into the dressing room to see us all. He's a real character. A lot of people probably look upon him as a serious businessman or a multi-millionaire, but he has a really good side to him. He speaks his mind and I like that."

ALLY McCOIST

"I have been fortunate enough to have been all over Europe looking at training facilities and what we have at Murray Park is comparable to anything in world football - it's fantastic.

"He has now been here 20 years. He has had his ups and downs, like everybody else, but over the piece he has been hugely successful. If and when he does leave, he will leave a great legacy.

"He has said that if there are people out there interested in buying the club then his door is always open.

"I think he will have a heavy heart when he walks away from Ibrox because Rangers has been so much of his life for the past 20 years."

JOHN GREIG

"I have been very, very lucky in my time. If it was not big enough playing for the club it was fantastic to come back for a second time and then Sir David made me a director and I don't think I could have received a higher accolade than that.

"I'm very proud to have served as a director and it has been a privilege to work for Sir David. You could not get a better boss."

ALEX McLEISH

"I only knew David Murray by reputation before I joined Rangers.

"I had heard he was a larger than life character and when I first met him I could tell there was a real character of a man there.

"We had a great relationship. He never interfered in team selections, despite the fact he owned the club lock, stock and barrel.

"He always gave me my place transfer-wise, although he had a marvellous knowledge of European football and he had good contact with a number of agents.

"David insisted I was there on merit and that gave me a big surge in confidence and belief.

"He was a demanding chairman in the sense that he wanted to win, but I 'm a demanding manager.

"I knew the important of winning at Rangers and some players can't handle that pressure."

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa..._scots_game.php

congratulations on 13 league titles but now the time has come to say goodbye sell us to someone who has the drive to take us up and beyond our expectations

.. a Chairman that would take us BEYOND our expectation - that is one Fking high bar for any new owner !!

Congratulations on reaching 20years.

IMO 5 years to long.

10 for me. With the benefit of hindsight, once 9iar was out of the way any progress has been cosmetic at best and he would have a far greater legacy had he left then, with the club's finances in good nick and the team on a high. Indeed if you look at where we were 20 years ago and where we are now, how much have we progressed in that time? We've won a fair few leagues and cups but only two good years in europe in all that time. Apart from that there are some changes to the stadium (corners filled in, club deck, Bar 72, capacity increased by around 7,000) and the addition of Auchenhowie. We have lost the Edmiston Club and the ticket office and we are financially worse off than in '88. We have capitulated to Nonentities at Uefa, the scottish mhedia, the SFA and the SPHell.

Where we once set the standards and took no shit from anyone, now we are run by people who seem happy to accept 2nd best, are ashamed of our heritage and would rather do the mhedia's work for them by attacking the Loyal fanbase. Where we once had a CEO in Campbell Ogilvie, who came up with the idea for the Champions League, now we have a former bar manager and failed male model.

In some ways we are a more modern club than 20 years ago but in others we have badly regressed. Back then we had a manager who revolutionised Scottish football, perhaps even British football. Now we have a football dinosaur who is either unwilling or unable (or both) to make changes that even the fans in the stand can see need to be made. He also has no faith in the youth players, who are among the best we've had for a long long time. Worst of all he is Murray's pal and is virtually bombproof, no matter our form. Dangerous, considering how crucial it is that we win the league this year.

We've had a lot of good times under Murray, in the first decade of his reign anyway. Back then we had many (domestic) successes and a lot of legends to revere, as well as a shit load of overpaid duds, but the last ten years have been dominated by failure, mediocrity, capitulation and, in my opinion, downright dishonesty. There is now a Grand Canyon sized chasm between the club and it's fanbase and little evidence of any effort on the part of the club to heal it. Indeed, why should they, as long as the fanbase blindly continue to pump their money into a club run by a lame duck with no new money and no new ideas to bring in new money?

Sorry for the negativity of this post but surely most on here can see it's only mediocrity from now until Murray leaves.

One of the best posts I've read on here.

Came up with 30m or so for Walter these past two seasons who made a mess of spending about half of it.

I blame Walter more than Murray.

Yes but read the post. It isn't just about on the field. Anyway, that money that Walter spent isn't his, it belongs to Rangers FC.

The cash that is currently being spent belongs to the bank.

Took over a club in a shambles and will leave one in a shambles

What a wanker <_<

Are you fishing?

The Club was in fine fettle when he took it over.

Had we totally recovered I dont think so

Recovered from what?

The previous years what the do you think doh

What a wanker <_<

Are you fishing?

When he took over, how many Leagues had we won in the previous 10 years

Rangers have won 13 League trophies in 20 years, SDM time at Rangers. It took us 40 years to win the previous 13 League championships prior to his arrival. (tu)

What a wanker <_<

Are you fishing?

Recovered from what?

We had to recover from Souness's arrival, Butcher Woods and the rest being signed?

in turn.

doh

What a wanker <_<

Are you fishing?

Recovered from what?

We had to recover from Souness's arrival, Butcher Woods and the rest being signed?

in turn.

doh

Werent out of the woods, maybe you were content they won the league in 88

What a wanker <_<

Are you fishing?

Rangers have won 13 League trophies in 20 years, SDM time at Rangers. It took us 40 years to win the previous 13 League championships prior to his arrival. (tu)

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

The turnaround happened in 86 with the arrival of Souness.

I find it hard to believe that people don't think so.

But hey ho, it's all about opinions.

What a wanker <_<

You still haven't explained in what way the club was a shambles when he took it over.

On the park? Off the park? Not sure what you are referring to but it I can't think in what way it was a shambles.

What a wanker <_<

Are you fishing?

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

The turnaround happened in 86 with the arrival of Souness.

I find it hard to believe that people don't think so.

But hey ho, it's all about opinions.

I dont deny it was a major part, but we still lost the league Souness et all in 1988 and of course there is always the small matter of who was heavily involved in bringing SDM to the club.

You can talk about lies, damn lies but the STATISTICS will still add up to SDM probably being the MOST SUCCESSFUL(or certainly significant) Chairman of our history when looking at League titles and trophies won, which for me is the be all and end all as a football fan (tu)

What a wanker <_<

You still haven't explained in what way the club was a shambles when he took it over.

On the park? Off the park? Not sure what you are referring to but it I can't think in what way it was a shambles.

I dont need to explain I refer you to post 94

Do you think Im giong to go into detail what I said is adaquate <_<

I dont deny it was a major part, but we still lost the league Souness et all in 1988 and of course there is always the small matter of who was heavily involved in bringing SDM to the club.

You can talk about lies, damn lies but the STATISTICS will still add up to SDM probably being the MOST SUCCESSFUL(or certainly significant) Chairman of our history when looking at League titles and trophies won, which for me is the be all and end all as a football fan (tu)

So somehow I've ended up in an argument with somebody who thinks he's great at the same time as I'm in one with somebody who thinks he's a wanker?

How tf did I manage that :craphead: