Radio programme on rangers

BallochBear

I'd be very wary of anything produced by BBC Scotland involving Spiers.

Is there any realistic chance that he/they will allow genuine freedom of speech and not edit out remarks which cast him/them in a poor light?

Would Spiers be happy should some of his past comments be cast up in order to demonstrate bias - and stupidity?

I doubt it very much.

On another note, are Timposters openly welcomed on this messageboard?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any realistic chance that he/they will allow genuine freedom of speech and not edit out remarks which cast him/them in a poor light?

Would Spiers be happy should some of his past comments be cast up in order to demonstrate bias - and stupidity?

I doubt it very much.

Good post.

I doubt it very much.

I'm hoping Balloch Bear has arranged to be given an unedited copy of the interview. Your last question, do you know something we don't? :shifty:

Why did he previously write about Old Firm songs in the following manner:

"The mood at Hampden was predictably puerile and raucous, though some of us on these occasions would do well not

to indulge in too much phoney dismay. It is becoming trite today to lay into the sordid Old Firm pageant, when, in fact,

minus its garish accretions, many would miss its saltier elements. It might be comical to witness the aghast reaction of

some society and newspaper critics, otherwise forever foaming with indignation, were this ragged spectacle suddenly to

be sanitised of its warts. The Old Firm attract plenty revulsion. Excited voyeurism is also thick on the ground."

He doesnt half write a load of shite!!!

Right then:

1. Who is being interviewed? And where?

2. Why was Spiers chosen?

3. Who is producing the programme?

4. What is the subject matter - the Old Firm and what?

5. Who is representing Celtic?

6. Are the clubs commenting officially?

7. Are the same questions being asked of both sets of fans/clubs?

8. Who decides the background?

9. Will you receive a copy of the full unedited 'interviews'?

10. Can you approve your contribution before it is aired?

11. Will there be a follow-up programme?

I'd only agree to taking part if you can be guaranteed access to the WHOLE recording of the programme to safeguard against Spiers-friendly anti-Rangers editing.

As samNewton has already said, the BBC can be very 'creative' with how they report the facts.

Right then:

2. Why was Spiers chosen?

3. Who is producing the programme?

4. What is the subject matter - the Old Firm and what?

5. Who is representing Celtic?

6. Are the clubs commenting officially?

7. Are the same questions being asked of both sets of fans/clubs?

8. Who decides the background?

9. Will you receive a copy of the full unedited 'interviews'?

10. Can you approve your contribution before it is aired?

11. Will there be a follow-up programme?

(tu)

First thing I would say is don't hand him any open goals. Don't try to justify BJK for instance - it's an unsubstantiated slur on someone who isn't around to defend himself. Don't try to argue that the famine song isn't offensive to many people, it is. Don't try to argue that black is white and there are no Rangers supporter with a sectarian agenda, it's too easy to provide evidence and Spiers will have it.

The number one thing Speirs can be accused of is bias. My impression is that he has written many more articles criticising Rangers than Celtic. If you say this, I would imagine that he will say "but what about my piece on...etc" so you need to have evidence - how many articles has he written on each team.

I would also ask him what he thinks the club should have done that it has not done to combat sectarianism. He may have no suggestions which allows you to approach the subject from the moral high ground or he might try to come with something off the top of his head which turns out be unworkable or stupid. Again you need to know what the club has actually done.

If things are going well you could then ask his views on traditional songs like the Sash. If he comes back with some stuff about them not being intrinsically sectarian but encouraging a minority who are then you are in a very strong position to take him to task over what happens at Celtic Park at matches

Right then:

See my replies in red below, I have answered them to the best of my current knowledge.

It is planned as a round table discussion over a pint, no participants are finalised, location will be in Glasgow.

2. Why was Spiers chosen? - It was decided by the BBC, they know why

3. Who is producing the programme? The BBC are sending up a team from London, GS doesn't know them.

4. What is the subject matter - the Old Firm and what? The old firm and what it means to be a supporter.

5. Who is representing Celtic? No idea, they are not in our debate

6. Are the clubs commenting officially? Not on our slot

7. Are the same questions being asked of both sets of fans/clubs? It's not a Q&A, its an open discussion.

8. Who decides the background? Those that attend, I am told there is no script, that's why i asked for points for discussion.

9. Will you receive a copy of the full unedited 'interviews'? I am told so.

10. Can you approve your contribution before it is aired? No, we will have no editorial input

11. Will there be a follow-up programme? Undecided

First thing I would say is don't hand him any open goals. Don't try to justify BJK for instance - it's an unsubstantiated slur on someone who isn't around to defend himself. Don't try to argue that the famine song isn't offensive to many people, it is. Don't try to argue that black is white and there are no Rangers supporter with a sectarian agenda, it's too easy to provide evidence and Spiers will have it.
I don't think anyone has offered the "straw man" arguments you're referring to.

The number one thing Speirs can be accused of is bias. My impression is that he has written many more articles criticising Rangers than Celtic. If you say this, I would imagine that he will say "but what about my piece on...etc" so you need to have evidence - how many articles has he written on each team.
Difficult to get over the course of a season, and probably not apt with tims at the table.
I would also ask him what he thinks the club should have done that it has not done to combat sectarianism. He may have no suggestions which allows you to approach the subject from the moral high ground or he might try to come with something off the top of his head which turns out be unworkable or stupid. Again you need to know what the club has actually done.
Empty question. He has already said he doesn't know what more the club can do, despite saying "there's a social cancer at the heart of the club".

If things are going well you could then ask his views on traditional songs like the Sash. If he comes back with some stuff about them not being intrinsically sectarian but encouraging a minority who are then you are in a very strong position to take him to task over what happens at Celtic Park at matches
That point is decent.

DO YOU THINK HE MAY SCAN THIS SITE LOOKING OUT FOR WHAT MAY COME AND BE READY FOR ANY AKWARD QUESTIONS ?

It's always possible but I really do believe he doesn't look at any of the messageboards, certainly from my discussions he didn't even appear to know where to start to find us and others, but he may have learned by now, after all he is quite a smart guy.

DO YOU THINK HE MAY SCAN THIS SITE LOOKING OUT FOR WHAT MAY COME AND BE READY FOR ANY AKWARD QUESTIONS ?

It's always possible but I really do believe he doesn't look at any of the messageboards, certainly from my discussions he didn't even appear to know where to start to find us and others, but he may have learned by now, after all he is quite a smart guy.

Sorry Balloch, that's a blatant lie. On his part, not yours. His column in the Times has been littered with references to fan websites. I'm also sure the Admin team on another well known Rangers site, not only know he's a member but also his user name(s).

Do not trust this man, he lies for a living.

See my replies in red below, I have answered them to the best of my current knowledge.

2. Why was Spiers chosen? - It was decided by the BBC, they know why

So the BBC decided to pick Spiers for a programme about the old firm? Hmmm. The agenda has been set already then. It's obviously a hatchet job as a media oprganisation that have shown bias have picked the most unobjective journalist going.

What are you going to say if you are asked about the Plastic Paddy chant? Condemn it and therefore a sizeable proportion of the Rangers support and do Spiers' job for him?

Sorry to be negative, but I just don't see this benefiting the club or our support in any way.

Sorry Balloch, that's a blatant lie. On his part, not yours. His column in the Times has been littered with references to fan websites. I'm also sure the Admin team on another well known Rangers site, not only know he's a member but also his user name(s).

Do not trust this man, he lies for a living.

He's BluePeter9 on here.

:mutley:

Only kidding, it's clearly BallochBear, drumming up business.

I find that difficult to believe. You don't have to anything approaching smart to use this new fangled Interweb and it's messageboards. I don't see how a sports journalist would resist using them as a resource but maybe he's just a bad professional.

If the opportunity arises I would suggest to him that his wilful and continual demonising of Rangers alone is the actions of a mental incompetent OR a bigot with a hidden agenda.

I would agree with him that sectarian bigotry is wrong and must be eliminated from society in general and football in particular. What must be emphasised,however, is why sectarianism is highlighted and exagerated at every opportunity while much more evil crimes are brushed aside.

Ask him does he really believe that Rangers fans singing TFS is a greater crime against humanity than IRA chants/songs glorifying genocide. Is singing "up to our knees in Fenian blood" more evil than covering for paedophilia?

Why has a supposedly intelligent man like Spiers been bought so easily by using the "political song"

argument as being O.K. but sectarian songs are not? Aren,t they both EQUALLY offensive? and if so, why does he only attack one of them.

On no account should you try to defend the indefensible, but very forcefully put the point that would he be happier if Rangers fans, instead of singing about being "up to our knees ", should plant a bomb at Parkhead targeting Irish republicans and then sing about THAT? That is political is it not? so its OK by his standards.

You would say that, Graham.

If the opportunity arises I would suggest to him that his wilful and continual demonising of Rangers alone is the actions of a mental incompetent OR a bigot with a hidden agenda.

I would agree with him that sectarian bigotry is wrong and must be eliminated from society in general and football in particular. What must be emphasised,however, is why sectarianism is highlighted and exagerated at every opportunity while much more evil crimes are brushed aside.

Ask him does he really believe that Rangers fans singing TFS is a greater crime against humanity than IRA chants/songs glorifying genocide. Is singing "up to our knees in Fenian blood" more evil than covering for paedophilia?

Why has a supposedly intelligent man like Spiers been bought so easily by using the "political song"

argument as being O.K. but sectarian songs are not? Aren,t they both EQUALLY offensive? and if so, why does he only attack one of them.

On no account should you try to defend the indefensible, but very forcefully put the point that would he be happier if Rangers fans, instead of singing about being "up to our knees ", should plant a bomb at Parkhead targeting Irish republicans and then sing about THAT? That is political is it not? so its OK by his standards.

Good points, although "Irish shopping centre" would be a more apt example for your comparison.

Thanks for your replies, BB...

If you must attend then I would urge great caution. I would also stick to soft drinks rather than beer when representing your fellow supporters.

Finally, if you're unsure about any given subject a 'no comment' will do just fine.

Goodluck BB and as everyone else has stated be very careful. they will have time to dissect and edit everything that is said before airing the program. Look how often players comments are taken out of context in the press. By missing out a few words they can make things seem completely different to what was actually said and even if you have a full unedited copy the damage could already be done. You will not be able to reach the masses with you're unedited copy.

Thanks for your replies, BB...

If you must attend then I would urge great caution. I would also stick to soft drinks rather than beer when representing your fellow supporters.

Finally, if you're unsure about any given subject a 'no comment' will do just fine.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the strategy. It seems quite a dodgy scenario to me. There'll be all five of the planet's educated tims on one side, with any intelligent Bears locked out, leaving only a handpicked few that conform to Spiers's views.

Hopefully something positive will come out of it and Spiers will die.

TBH it's not such a big deal. It'll have no listeners and Spiers already has few readers.

P.S. I think the London crew is a lie, unless it's McGlone's mates.