Mattias Bjarsmyr

NOLUWDC

Rangers take a look at Bjarsmyr

Mattias Bjarsmyr, captain of Sweden's Under-21 side, is the latest centre-back to come to Rangers' attention as Walter Smith, the manager, seeks defensive reinforcements.

The IFK Gothenburg player, capped twice by the senior national team, joins Tonel, the Sporting Lisbon centre-back who is Smith's preferred option, and Martin Stranzl, the Austrian internationalist at Spartak Moscow, as potential transfer window targets.

Bjarsmyr, 22, has also attracted the attention of three clubs from the Dutch Eredivisie - AZ Alkmaar, Groningen and Feyenoord - as well as Salzburg, leaders of Austria's Bundesliga, and Belgium's Jupiler League leaders Anderlecht.

Incoming transfers will be dependent upon Smith offloading up to 10 fringe players, of whom only Jean-Claude Darcheville, who has signed for Valenciennes, is definitely leaving.

Another who could go is Andrius Velicka, the Lithuanian signed for £1m during the summer, who could return to his former club Hearts on loan to the end of the season.

Csaba Laszlo, the Hearts manager, would welcome the arrival of Velicka, 29. The striker would not be allowed to play against the Ibrox men but could face Celtic, against whom he has an impressive scoring record.

Vladimir Romanov, Hearts' majority shareholder, has rid FBK Kaunas, his Lithuanian club and conquerors of Rangers in a Champions League qualifier in August, of the man who masterminded that success, the Belarussian manager Andrei Zygmantovic.

Kaunas were successful in the Lithuanian cup and the Baltic league, but were only runners-up in the domestic league. Eugenijus Riabovas, a local coach, takes over.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines...at_Bjarsmyr.php

Mattias Bjarsmyr, captain of Sweden's Under-21 side, is the latest centre-back to come to Rangers' attention as Walter Smith, the manager, seeks defensive reinforcements.

The IFK Gothenburg player, capped twice by the senior national team, joins Tonel, the Sporting Lisbon centre-back who is Smith's preferred option, and Martin Stranzl, the Austrian internationalist at Spartak Moscow, as potential transfer window targets.

Bjarsmyr, 22, has also attracted the attention of three clubs from the Dutch Eredivisie - AZ Alkmaar, Groningen and Feyenoord - as well as Salzburg, leaders of Austria's Bundesliga, and Belgium's Jupiler League leaders Anderlecht.

advertisement

Incoming transfers will be dependent upon Smith offloading up to 10 fringe players, of whom only Jean-Claude Darcheville, who has signed for Valenciennes, is definitely leaving.

Another who could go is Andrius Velicka, the Lithuanian signed for £1m during the summer, who could return to his former club Hearts on loan to the end of the season.

Csaba Laszlo, the Hearts manager, would welcome the arrival of Velicka, 29. The striker would not be allowed to play against the Ibrox men but could face Celtic, against whom he has an impressive scoring record.

Vladimir Romanov, Hearts' majority shareholder, has rid FBK Kaunas, his Lithuanian club and conquerors of Rangers in a Champions League qualifier in August, of the man who masterminded that success, the Belarussian manager Andrei Zygmantovic.

Kaunas were successful in the Lithuanian cup and the Baltic league, but were only runners-up in the domestic league. Eugenijus Riabovas, a local coach, takes over

I'm sure we were linked with him before :unsure:

I have seen him play a few times since we were first linked with him back in 2007?. Before that I had never heard of him.

Tbh, he reminded me of Karl Svensson.

Well we dont need him then. The first version did not work at all.

Will this be more valuable money squandered and anyway who the hell are they <cr>

Tonel and Stranzl are fairly well known, the Swedes a new one on me, i would be a bit wary only because i remember the last Swedish centre back we signed from Ifk, he was also the next big Swedish star.Tell you what i've even forgot his name, surname was donkey i think.

Tonel and Stranzl are fairly well known, the Swedes a new one on me, i would be a bit wary only because i remember the last Swedish centre back we signed from Ifk, he was also the next big Swedish star.Tell you what i've even forgot his name, surname was donkey i think.

karl svensson

karl svensson

Thats the one, the future Swedish captain for years to come according to learned scribes, he was a pretty poor footballer although he may have had the nous to block Macdonald before he got his shot off.

um, I would have thought, buying u21 players, who have a bit of pedigree, would be a good thing? long term planning etc? Of course, because its WS, nobody can see that. We have, in the main, a very young squad, so, when he goes at the end of the season, there is no need for a huge rebuilding exercise

Look at the last promising young Sweedish centre back we bought :rolleyes:

It looks like a journey into the unknown once again with transfer targets and to think some actually beleive we have good youngsters just now is another issue that some of you have beleived for a long time now

We dont have promising youngsters and we dont have money for quality players so expect the worst

Bit unfair on him, everyones assuming because he's Sweedish and comes from Gothenburg he'll be exactly the same as svensson.

He's actually a pretty solid player, alot tougher than Svensson.

Good point, we need to analyze every player objectively...he could be Svensson or Melberg, who knows?

U21? Isn't that what Aaron is? And he's had nary a sniff?

Smith doesn't like youth. Simple as that.

It's all that loitering around shopping centres and hoody wearing he dislikes.