Walter hands Naismith first chance vs St. Johnstone

nvager

Walter Smith hands Naismith start for tricky test against Saints

Date: 13 January 2009

By Glenn Gibbons - Scotsman

RANGERS' present trend towards departures goes temporarily into reverse tonight, when Steven Naismith returns to the first team for the Homecoming Scottish Cup fourth round tie against St Johnstone at McDiarmid Park.

Manager Walter Smith confirmed that the former Kilmarnock forward will play in the match, his first since the cruciate ligament injury he sustained against the same opponents in the semi-final of the same tournament at Hampden Park last April. It sADVERTISEMENTeems likely, however, that Naismith will be seen in an unfamiliar role.

The ankle injury that is likely to keep Kyle Lafferty inactive for three weeks leaves an opening on the left of the midfield four and Naismith is likely to be nominated to fill the vacancy. His recovery from serious injury is well ahead of the schedule originally suggested by the surgeon who operated on his knee.

"He has made a good recovery," said Smith. "It's been a frustrating period for him, because he's a lad who likes to be involved in everything, from training every day to playing. He's very versatile, too, where positions are concerned. He's a bit like Nacho Novo, in that he can play right across the front line. I think, ultimately, he'll be a striker. Jim Jefferies at Kilmarnock, though, told me that Stevie can also play anywhere in midfield, wide or in a central position. So, if he is played on the left of the middle four, I won't have any qualms about it."

Naismith himself appeared unaffected by any lingering psychological damage from an injury that can end a player's career, or from the possibility of being "haunted" by the fact that his first opponents since the black day will be St Johnstone.

"We actually played Saints in a bounce match at Murray Park recently, so, in that respect, this is just another game for me," said Naismith. "The recovery period has been quicker than the surgeon thought – he said, on average, it could be a year before I could play again – but I was able to avoid too much frustration by the way the physios looked after me.

"They kept setting little goals, one after the other, and concentrating on reaching them kept me occupied. The first one, strangely, was actually to learn to walk properly again. If you don't get that right, you could have a little limp a lot longer than you'd want. It was my first major injury, so it was great the way they got me through that and now I'm really looking forward to getting back.

"As far as where I play is concerned, I grew up as a striker, or playing just off the main striker, so that's probably what I prefer. But at a club like Rangers, you really can't be choosey, can you? I'll be very happy to play where I'm told. Playing is the main thing."

The re-match with St Johnstone is soon enough after the last, uncomfortable encounter – it will be remembered that Rangers had to win a penalty shoot-out to progress to the final – to persuade Smith of the need to field as strong a team as possible.

"Last year, we had to make changes to the team out of necessity, because of the heavy schedule we had in four competitions at the time," said the manager. "That doesn't apply this time, so we'll be as strong as possible. I think St Johnstone have improved, if anything, since the last time we played.

"The First Division is a tough league to play in and they're looking like favourites to win it. At clubs like Rangers and Celtic, we're used to teams raising their game. We tend to put an extra edge on matches like this, especially when we're away from home.

"You saw Celtic, even at Parkhead, beat Dundee by a single goal at the weekend, and we ourselves had draws last season with Partick Thistle and St Johnstone and a very close match with Queen of the South in the cup final. So the First Division sides on these occasions aren't going to lie down. Outside the Premier League, St Johnstone are as tough an opponent as we could have.

"I think the first objective in matches like these is to avoid the kind of sluggish start that can put you in bother and be difficult to recover from. We've seen that often enough before.

"We have to try to impose ourselves early, let our opponents know that we're as keen to get the job done as they are."

BACKGROUND

• Scottish Cup semi-final

20 April, 2008

St Johnstone 1, Rangers 1 (aet, Rangers won 4-3 on pens)

After a goalless 90 minutes St Johnstone gave Rangers a massive fright by taking the lead at Hampden through Daniel McBreen in extra-time. Nacho Navo equalised from the penalty-spot, before the Uefa Cup finalists sneaked through 4-3 on penalties.

• CIS Cup, quarter-final

8 November, 2006

Rangers 0, St Johnstone 2

Paul Le Guen's Rangers were stunned by the First Division leaders at Ibrox as a double from Steven Milne settled this quarter-final. An overhead kick in the 52nd minute gave Saints the lead, then Milne outpaced Brahim Hemdani in the 68th minute to seal a famous victory for Owen Coyle's side.

have a bad feeling about this, why not give Aaron a chance ya auld d*ck

Aaron deserves a chance, but i'd like to see what Naismith can do!

same here as a striker but I just don't think he is ready just yet. Bring him back easy. Typical from the auld c*nt threw into the deep end

The abuse Walter Smith gets on this forum at times is downright disgusting.

He might be wrong for the job and he might not be doing the job that we expect him to.

But he is a Ranger and has brought this club trophies, he has brought some of the best players I have seen at Ibrox and he has always carried himself with dignity and pride.

Some of you should be looking to do the same, instead of calling him a "cunt" or a "dickhead."

He might be wrong for the job and he might not be doing the job that we expect him to.

But he is a Ranger and has brought this club trophies, he has brought some of the best players I have seen at Ibrox and he has always carried himself with dignity and pride.

Some of you should be looking to do the same, instead of calling him a "cunt" or a "dickhead."

100% spot on.

Walter is an Rangers legend, like it or not, and should be treated with a little more respect.

He is not untouchable as far as criticism goes but he is deserving of better treatment from any Bear.

100% spot on.

Walter is an Rangers legend, like it or not, and should be treated with a little more respect.

He is not untouchable as far as criticism goes but he is deserving of better treatment from any Bear.

(tu)

I'd love to see all three but it's never going to happen. Aaron on the left and Naismith upfront would be my choice but I don't mind seeing Naismith on the left. He's played there a lot through-out his career, just like he has on the right and he likes to get forward so will offer another attacking option.

Well said Dado, was thinking the same, and the same should apply to Coisty.

As for the article, the headline is very misleading at no time does Walter say Naismith will start, Walter says he will play in the match, it could be from the start or he could come on as a sub.

Anyway, we always have these arguments about whether or not a player should be playing when they come back from injury, they will only get to match fitness by playing in proper matches. I'm sure the medical team would insist he can't play if he wasn't ready for some match time, and WE don't know what he's like in training and he has recently come through some bounce matches without a problem.

I'm happy Naismith is getting a chance in the team. Lafferty looks completely out of his depth there so hopefully Naismith could prove to be a short term solution to our problem on the left.

Auld dick...auld cunt....what an embarrassment you are........

On the subject in hand I would have expected a fit again Naismith to be ahead of Arron in the pecking order but if he is on the bench then I presume he will get a game as no chance Naismith will play the 90…

As Walter is doing the press I take it Ally isn’t the manager in then Scottish cup this season

IIRC, Naismith had a few decent games wide left last season but generally I felt he didn't do all that well there...

Would much rather he was played in a free role just behind Boyd if he is going to play.

I seem to remember him and burke went through a short spell of playing together, hibs being the stand out game and he was very productive.

I would prefer him and Miller to be in the team, i doubt Naismith could do the running required for Millers role right now

(tu) Well said Dado, he's brought us many good times, and as you say is a Ranger himself, he doesn't deserve such names.

I'm happy Naismith is getting a chance in the team. Lafferty looks completely out of his depth there so hopefully Naismith could prove to be a short term solution to our problem on the left.

have to disagree with that statement.he doesn't look out of his depth he just looks like he is out of position.

Hope wee naisy is more effective out there than kyle was as he will no doubt be shunted wide left.

Aaron will get his chance when he earns it. It's up to the players to force themselves into the reckoning and he hasn't done that yet. Yes, he's had a few good games in the reserves, but he's had a lot more poor games. In the recent game against Arbroath he was practically invisible in the 1st half and only showed up in the last half-hour when the Arbroath side looked very tired.

Aaron is another in a long line of fringe players who have gained popularity almost solely because he's not been involved in some of our poor displays.

Aaron deserves a chance, but i'd like to see what Naismith can do!

same here as a striker but I just don't think he is ready just yet. Bring him back easy. Typical from the auld c*nt threw into the deep end

You assume Naismith is starting and you also assume he's not ready to start. You know better than the Rangers physios and coaching team?

IMO he won't start the game, but will play all or most of the 2nd half, dependant on how the game is going at the time.

(tu)

HEAR HEAR!! :clap:

While Smith may not be everyones choice as manager, he at least deserves some respect for his past achievements. Some of the OTT reactions to him on here are embarrassing to say the least.