Family man Neil Lennon started the fight

Jimenez

Neil Lennon gave evidence during the trial at Glasgow Sheriff Court

Football coach Neil Lennon has given evidence at the trial of two men accused of attacking him.

The 37-year-old told Glasgow Sheriff Court that the only thing he could remember was waking up on a street in the west end of Glasgow on 1 September.

Bar manager, James Dick, had earlier told the court he thought Mr Lennon had started a fight with the accused.

David Whitelaw, 47, and 43-year-old Jeffrey Carrigan deny carrying out the assault due to religious prejudice.

Mr Dick, who is bar manager of the Ubiquitous Chip, told the court that he saw Mr Lennon push one of his alleged attackers before a fight broke out between the three men.

Asked by Mr Whitelaw's defence lawyer, David Phinn, if it was Lennon that started it, he said: "I would say so, from my point of view, yes."

Mr Dick told the court: "I was standing at the entrance to the bar talking to a friend of mine, Liam Cameron, when Liam said 'I think Neil Lennon's going to get into a fight'.

My next recollection in waking up in hospital with my fiancé sitting at the end of the bed crying

Neil Lennon

"I turned round and I saw Neil Lennon shove a man on the chest with both hands.

"Another guy was standing slightly behind and he then either punched or slapped Neil Lennon and thrust him forward again.

"Neil Lennon then tried to punch the guy that he pushed originally and he tried to punch him back. They were both punching and kicking at each other and Lennon fell to the ground."

Mr Dick claimed that both men then kicked Mr Lennon as he lay on the ground before running off shouting: "You'll no talk to me like that again."

Mr Lennon told the court that the only thing he could remember was waking up in Ashton Lane after being attacked.

"A friend of mine offered to walk me up the road but I said I would be fine as I only live three minutes away," he said.

Identity parade

"The next thing I remember I was lying on the ground and somebody was dabbing my face asking if I was okay.

"My next recollection in waking up in hospital with my fiancé sitting at the end of the bed crying.

"I was pretty upset, pretty disappointed and paranoid for a while after it."

Mr Lennon later picked out Mr Whitelaw in a police identity parade, but could not tell officers how he knew him.

The trial, before Sheriff Martin Jones, continues.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgo...est/7826698.stm

So these guys get branded rangers supporting bigots in the mhedia and all they were doing was defending themselves ? Bear in mind one of these men has remained in custody since his arrest.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A friend of mine offered to walk me up the road but I said I would be fine as I only live three minutes away," he said.

Identity parade

"The next thing I remember I was lying on the ground and somebody was dabbing my face asking if I was okay.

"My next recollection in waking up in hospital with my fiancé sitting at the end of the bed crying.

Mr Lennon later picked out Mr Whitelaw in a police identity parade, but could not tell officers how he knew him

Lying Rhat of a man.

More like he doesn't want to remember pickigng a fight with the wrong guys.........

Here's the Daily Mails impartial take on things at the time by Stephen McGowan

The thought of him ever emerging from a cowardly attack apparently motivated by bigotry, however, was surely a step much too far.

Yet this week, two men between 40 and 50 years of age took such a step and attacked from behind, yelling sectarian abuse, their shameful behaviour luridly exposing the kind of narrow-minded bigotry which makes the cynical world of football in Glasgow wholly unappealing.

Initial reports of a burst right eye and a swollen mouth hinted at a minor skirmish. As details emerge and the police study CCTV footage, however, this much is now clear; this was a potentially horrific assault which shames Scottish society to the core.

When his distraught partner Irene discovered what had happened, phonecalls were made well beyond midnight to friends and colleagues.

‘Only in the west of Scotland’ was said to have been the response of manager Strachan.

There will be many wondering whether serving Celtic or any other football club could ever be worth this sort of treatment.

For the first time in his eight-year involvement with the club, Neil Lennon is finally said to be asking himself the same question.

He should face trial for trying to pervert the course of justice!

And when these blokes are found not guilty as they should be, it will go very quiet in the press.

They'll probably get found guilty for assault. But religious aggrivation ? Doubt it. though they should get aquited for self defense in my opinion.

What is clear now though is that Celtc, Lennon and the mhedia from the outset have lied and used any means possible to pervert the court of justice. If the lawyer is half decent he'll expose that.

More conclusive proof from the mhedia before a single arrest was made...

Exclusive: Celtic star Neil Lennon was minutes from death after swallowing tongue in sectarian street attack

Sep 3 2008 By Mark Mcgivern And Lachlan Mackinnon

CELTIC coach Neil Lennon was minutes from death after swallowing his tongue during a vicious street attack.

The Record can reveal that the star was in danger of choking to death after the cowardly attack in the early hours of Monday.

Helpless Lennon was laid into while on the ground, suffering a black eye and a gash that needed stitches.

He also had a large lump on the back of his head - where he was initially struck by his assailants - which caused concussion.

The Record can also reveal that detectives took CCTV images from Ashton Lane in Glasgow's west end to Lennon's home onMonday night.

He was asked to watch the incident played on his TV, with girlfriend Irene at his side, as police tried to discover the identity of the attackers.

A source said: "Neil was not expecting to be attacked from behind, so his guard was down.

"He got battered with great force, possibly with a bottle, although it's possible that his head hit a wall.

"He hit the deck and took a real kicking when he was down. He swallowed his tongue and wasn't able to breathe properly until it was taken out."

It was unclear to Lennon, who was unconscious for several minutes, who had taken his tongue from his mouth.

The source added: "Someone has saved Neil's life - this could very easily have been a murder investigation. Police were called to the scene at around 25 minutes past midnight but it is believed an ambulance had already been alerted bythis time."

The source rubbished reports in one newspaper that Lennon had been the aggressor against two elderly men, one of whom knocked him out.

He said: "One paper said he was attacked by a couple of old men after he had been noising them up, which is offensive and absurd.

"He nearly lost his life and he has to deal with stupid slurs like that on top.

It's pathetic."

Police yesterday confirmed they were treating the attack as sectarian.

They said they were searching for two men aged in their 40s in connection with the incident.

One was of heavy build, wearing a light blue shirt and a black leather jacket. The second was wearing a light coloured shirt.

Without wanting to prejudice anything we should perhaps wait until all the evidence has been heard before we call for knighthoods for these 2 guys. I imagine I'm not alone in hearing a little bit about these two and suffice to say it wasn't all good.

Lennon is a cunt, but still.

More here..... Notice the Rangers fans inclusion...

Exclusive: Celtic coach Neil Lennon taken to hospital after being attacked by thugs following Old Firm clash

Sep 1 2008 Exclusive by Mark McGivern

Neil Lennon 250

CELTIC coach Neil Lennon was treated in hospital last night after being attacked by three thugs.

The controversial former Hoops star was drinking in the trendy Ashton Lane in Glasgow's West End after his team's 4-2 defeat to arch rivals Rangers.

It is believed he was goaded by drunken Rangers fans before the violence broke out.

Lennon was taken to the nearby Western Infirmary, where he was treated for injuries before being released.

A Strathclyde Police spokeswoman said yesterday: "Police were called around 12.25am to a report of a 37-year-old man assaulted in Ashton Lane, Glasgow.

"The injured man was taken to hospital then discharged after treatment for minor injuries.

"He did not wish to make a complaint, however police enquiries are ongoing into the incident."

Lennon has been involved in violent scrapes in the city in the past and has been targeted by some hooligans, partly due to his combative playing style and his Northern Irish background.

The atmosphere in the city last night was charged by Celtic's earlier match with Rangers, in which they were beaten 4-2.

Without wanting to prejudice anything we should perhaps wait until all the evidence has been heard before we call for knighthoods for these 2 guys. I imagine I'm not alone in hearing a little bit about these two and suffice to say it wasn't all good.

Lennon is a cunt, but still.

I'm not suggesting they are anything but. The mhedia however were quick to insinuate that they were and that to me means these guys can not get a fair trial.

They wont get away with the assault because they kicked him when he was down.

If they had landed him on his arse then walked away then they might have got away with it.

Lennon is a vile little cunt and will probably get away with fuck all even though he started it.

If they had landed him on his arse then walked away then they might have got away with it.

Lennon is a vile little cunt and will probably get away with fuck all even though he started it.

its the polite thing to do.

Not a legal eagle but they haven't been charged for assault, isn't it religiously aggravated assault ?

Does that change anything ?

Neil Lennon gave evidence during the trial at Glasgow Sheriff Court

Football coach Neil Lennon has given evidence at the trial of two men accused of attacking him.

The 37-year-old told Glasgow Sheriff Court that the only thing he could remember was waking up on a street in the west end of Glasgow on 1 September.

Bar manager, James Dick, had earlier told the court he thought Mr Lennon had started a fight with the accused.

David Whitelaw, 47, and 43-year-old Jeffrey Carrigan deny carrying out the assault due to religious prejudice.

Mr Dick, who is bar manager of the Ubiquitous Chip, told the court that he saw Mr Lennon push one of his alleged attackers before a fight broke out between the three men.

Asked by Mr Whitelaw's defence lawyer, David Phinn, if it was Lennon that started it, he said: "I would say so, from my point of view, yes."

Mr Dick told the court: "I was standing at the entrance to the bar talking to a friend of mine, Liam Cameron, when Liam said 'I think Neil Lennon's going to get into a fight'.

My next recollection in waking up in hospital with my fiancé sitting at the end of the bed crying

Neil Lennon

"I turned round and I saw Neil Lennon shove a man on the chest with both hands.

"Another guy was standing slightly behind and he then either punched or slapped Neil Lennon and thrust him forward again.

"Neil Lennon then tried to punch the guy that he pushed originally and he tried to punch him back. They were both punching and kicking at each other and Lennon fell to the ground."

Mr Dick claimed that both men then kicked Mr Lennon as he lay on the ground before running off shouting: "You'll no talk to me like that again."

Mr Lennon told the court that the only thing he could remember was waking up in Ashton Lane after being attacked.

Identity parade

Mr Lennon later picked out Mr Whitelaw in a police identity parade, but could not tell officers how he knew him.

The trial, before Sheriff Martin Jones, continues.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgo...est/7826698.stm

So these guys get branded rangers supporting bigots in the mhedia and all they were doing was defending themselves ? Bear in mind one of these men has remained in custody since his arrest.

It's a good point but Murray habitually assumes that we are in the wrong <_<