Weir may be 'past it'...

Danny

But I actually feel he's been our best defender this season.

I have never been his biggest fan, but he has done a pretty solid job. He re-organised the defence in 2007 when Walter took over and signed him, and along with others added stability to the rearguard.

Yes, he's old - but so is Edwin Van De Sar (also 38 btw) and so was Laurent Blanc. Positional sense and reading of the game matter more in defence than age do. This is why I believe he's our best man at the back.

For all his age and all the fact we all think he should quit playing, he's been consistent, solid, and really hasn't let us down.

He is also stronger in the air than Bougherra and reads the game way, way better.

His weaknesses are that his distribution is cack and he lacks any class on the ball - the latter being something Bougherra DOES have in abundance.

But if it wasn't for Weir this year, I feel our defence would be a lot worse off.

He's had some good games and some awful games this season. I think Bougherra has been by far our best defender and Weir struggles when he's not there.

Been a good signing but we should have brought in a replacement in the summer. If only we had signed him 10 years ago!

Age has got nothing to do with it. Karl Svenson was only 22(?) when he played and I think he had about 3 decent games in all his time here.

Weir has been a very good signing for the club, and this will be proven as we try to replace him in the summer.

Age has got nothing to do with it. Karl Svenson was only 22(?) when he played and I think he had about 3 decent games in all his time here.

Weir has been a very good signing for the club, and this will be proven as we try to replace him in the summer.

slight exaggeration there :happy:

He's had some good games and some awful games this season. I think Bougherra has been by far our best defender and Weir struggles when he's not there.

Been a good signing but we should have brought in a replacement in the summer. If only we had signed him 10 years ago!

I agree with Muff here, Bougherra has been far and away our best defender the other 3 who play along side him have either been average or poor most games as for Weir almost every goal or chance we give up is a cross from the right side of our defence straight over his head (because he can no longer get off the ground) for someone to get a chance at the back post.

slight exaggeration there :happy:

over exaggeration in my eyes (tu)

Weir is a good player for us but I do feel there are things in his game that let him down.

His passing is terrible, why won't he just play the simple ball to one of the someone else who can pass the ball. He can have all the time in the world but will still manage to hit it out of play on the left hand side.

The other thing that I feel is a hindrance to the team is his lack of pace, which he does to an extent make up for with his positional sense. Where I do feel that we get caught out is when Papac goes forward and then walks back leaving Weir to cover at left back and he really doesn't have the pace to do so. That is more of problem with Papac but at the same time, we need our side backs to be overlapping as we have no width at the moment.

He has been a bargain buy for us but I would like to see someone else a bit younger come in and play there. I don't think Broadfoot is the answer in that position as he doesn't shut his man down quickly enough and is very easily turned.

David Weir has been an excellent signing for us, no doubt about that. I just feel that lately we've been defending too deep, no matter the opposition, and that's because of his lack of pace.

But many great defences have had slow defenders: Maldini, Blanc, Baresi, Carboni. None of these guys were quick, they just read the game perfectly. Positional sense meant they didn't require pace.

I always admired Davie Weir and Colin Cameron at Hearts. I remember backing them as future signings back in the day.

Weir's form has fluctuated this season, but when he's got it right, he's got it right.

Another season will be a bridge too far for him, but he's an incredibly intelligent man and i wouldn't object to him starting his coaching trade at Ibrox.

I always admired Davie Weir and Colin Cameron at Hearts. I remember backing them as future signings back in the day.

Weir's form has fluctuated this season, but when he's got it right, he's got it right.

Another season will be a bridge too far for him, but he's an incredibly intelligent man and i wouldn't object to him starting his coaching trade at Ibrox.

We only stopped being linked to Colin Cameron when he retired.

imagine him training the likes of Perry and Wilson could make them even better

Mmmm Weir is past it ? Obviously a conclusion made by a panel consisting of these people Eh ? Noam Chomsky, Umberto Eco, Václav Havel, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Paul Krugman. :sherlock:

Ahhh, Chomsky. There's one for the debating chamber :pipe:

We only stopped being linked to Colin Cameron when he retired.

He just signed for Arbroath so you never know :tongue:

A cracking professional. A cracking example of someone taking care of himself. An excellent stop gap and role model to have in the dressing room. But to steal a topical sentence "We NOW deserve better" Weir has been short on pace for the last 12 months and his distribution is abysmal. He cannot pass a ball forward more than 10 yards to a fellow Ger.

He will go with my thanks and best wishes and i wouldnt be against him staying in some kind of back up/coaching capacity but come on, get a young talent into the team. (tu)

Mmmm Weir is past it ? Obviously a conclusion made by a panel consisting of these people Eh ? Noam Chomsky, Umberto Eco, Václav Havel, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Paul Krugman. :sherlock:

Not neccessarily when he's interviewd by a Rangers supporter he still can grace the Bears Den.

:sherlock:

Out of leftfield.

Out of leftfield.

Leftfooter :sherlock: