When Thomson gets fit again...

Danny

I think we're a far better side with Thomson in it.

Our Old Firm record with and without Thomson is absolutley conclusive on that point.

Our midfield tackling, shuting down and harrassing had gone, but fair play to Mendes who tries.

As someone needs to tell Smith Ferguson has gone AWOL.

I think Ferguson might be the player who leaves, either in this window or in the summer, but if not he'll keep his place when Thomson regains fitness. And deservedly so IMO. Thomsons form before his injury was decent, but not nearly as wonderful as some seem to remember. His passing was still very poor and his positioning at times was little short of woeful. Say what you like about Ferguson, he can pass the ball and has the vision to play incisive forward passes which create goal-scoring chances. Even though he had a quiet game on Saturday, he still managed to split Falkirks defence 3 times with great through-balls, something that Thomson can't do.

I've always felt that Thomsons contribution has been over-rated since he came to Rangers.........probably because some were so disappointed at our failure to sign Scott Brown and Browns' subsequent signing for them.

Can't agree with this. For a start if it was anything to do with Brown his awful form last year would surely have done away with that excuse. I think we're a weaker team with Ferguson in place of Thomson, the results so far this season certainly back up that point. Thomson might be slightly overrated, but he certainly formed a much more effective partnership with Mendes than Ferguson has, which could be something to do with them letting each other play, instead of Ferguson controlling the game as much as possible.

I think Ferguson might be the player who leaves, either in this window or in the summer, but if not he'll keep his place when Thomson regains fitness. And deservedly so IMO. Thomsons form before his injury was decent, but not nearly as wonderful as some seem to remember. His passing was still very poor and his positioning at times was little short of woeful. Say what you like about Ferguson, he can pass the ball and has the vision to play incisive forward passes which create goal-scoring chances. Even though he had a quiet game on Saturday, he still managed to split Falkirks defence 3 times with great through-balls, something that Thomson can't do.

I've always felt that Thomsons contribution has been over-rated since he came to Rangers.........probably because some were so disappointed at our failure to sign Scott Brown and Browns' subsequent signing for them.

Can't agree with this. For a start if it was anything to do with Brown his awful form last year would surely have done away with that excuse. I think we're a weaker team with Ferguson in place of Thomson, the results so far this season certainly back up that point. Thomson might be slightly overrated, but he certainly formed a much more effective partnership with Mendes than Ferguson has, which could be something to do with them letting each other play, instead of Ferguson controlling the game as much as possible.

And another thing.....

Were people actually disappointed when we missed out on Brown for £4m and £25k a week? I was fucking delighted when I heard the figures.

Thomson is a better player than Brown by a mile IMHO and at half the price? Fucking bargain!

And another thing.....

Were people actually disappointed when we missed out on Brown for £4m and £25k a week? I was fucking delighted when I heard the figures.

Thomson is a better player than Brown by a mile IMHO and at half the price? Fucking bargain!

Brown seems to be improving a bit this season unfortunately, but I still think we got the better deal.

Just had another thought Wreckedroy, you say Thomson can't split a defence, but I seem to remember Thomson tearing celtic apart last season to score a winning goal, and scoring in the dying seconds to claw back a draw from the Arabs earlier this season. He certainly has a knack for scoring goals at important times for us.

Think it all depends who's manager next season, if Walters still in charge and Fergie's still around then I'm afraid Thommo will have to wait for Fergie to get injured, if on the other hand a new manager is in place and no old pals act exists then perhaps players will be picked on merit and for the benefit of the team.

IMO Davis, Mendes, and Thomson give the best balance to the midfield and BTW I've been a big fan of Barry for a long time, but if we can get a reasonable offer for him at his age he should be let go as I believe there is decent competition for places coming through the ranks now.

Lets not forget Thomson set up miller at parkhead, put in the cross for bougherra at easter road, scored v kaunus away, set up weir at pittodrie, and probably some more, his partnership with mendes was sublime from the word go and I believe that it was thomsons injury that let barry back into the team instantly, otherwise he would have been phased in. Thomson is far more integral to our team than barry is at the current moment and I cant wait to get Thomson back and shot of barry, Thomson will continue to improve and show why he is the best scottish midfielder, hes got that bit of bite and urgency about him and I could hazard a guess there would be a fair few games we would have dropped less points with, with him in the team just because he breaks up attacks

Since Brown's re-introduction to the Celtic side he's been lauded by the media for his dynamic, 'snarling' and energetic style of play.

That's all fine and well, but isn't that exactly what Kevin Thomson brings to Rangers? I mean surely they should expect more considering Brown's fee was almost double that of Thomson's, not forgetting the ridiculous wage.

Personally, i never thought there was much between the two, certainly nothing like £2.5M. Thomson has a far broader and more accurate range of passing where as Brown has more flair. When it comes to their Old Firm head to head battles, Thomson has been the better by an absolute mile, with Brown's only stand-out performance coming in last months fixture when he was up against the evanescing Barry Ferguson.

Scott Brown has been on form over the last 2 months, Kevin Thomson was still streets ahead!

I have never seen a player as poor in the tackle, wasteful, one of the worst passers in the SPL, poor movement...as Scott Brown, yet he gets praise, whilst Kevin Thomson, Rangers best player and a player who covers every blade of grass, chips in with goals and assists and cuts back the yellow cards and controlling an Old Firm game - where he stamped out Robson, Hartley, Nakamura, McGayday and Brown gets fcuk all praise.

Yes, we are in a fenian world!

And another thing.....

Brown seems to be improving a bit this season unfortunately, but I still think we got the better deal.

Just had another thought Wreckedroy, you say Thomson can't split a defence, but I seem to remember Thomson tearing celtic apart last season to score a winning goal, and scoring in the dying seconds to claw back a draw from the Arabs earlier this season. He certainly has a knack for scoring goals at important times for us.

And a great goal it was. (tu)

The thing is tho.........the times that Thomson has actually done it are so few that we can probably remember every one. Also, I feel the anti-Ferguson feeling at the moment means that a lot of people are ignoring any good play from Ferguson and concentrating totally on the weaker points, while at the same time ignoring Thomsons faults in favour of his good points.

i think the key is that he is the perfect foil for mendes...loves a tackle, chases everything down and give mendes room to pick his pass...fergie is simply not performing and i would rather see mendes play with edu at present

And a great goal it was. (tu)

The thing is tho.........the times that Thomson has actually done it are so few that we can probably remember every one. Also, I feel the anti-Ferguson feeling at the moment means that a lot of people are ignoring any good play from Ferguson and concentrating totally on the weaker points, while at the same time ignoring Thomsons faults in favour of his good points.

You may be right about Ferguson getting a bit more negativity than he deserves, but with every passing game I become more and more frustrated about how he holds the team back. It must be said neither Smith nor he did him any favours, Smith by throwing him straight back in, and Ferguson coming out with this 'I'll be back to my old self' rubbish. Plus he seems to have the attitude that he can run the entire team. The defining moment was against St Johnstone when Mendes had the ball ready to take a free kick, but before he could do it Ferguson ran over, took the kick, passed it straight to a player who was being closely marked and as a result lost possession. I don't remember Thomson doing stuff like that. Plus, Thomson seems to have worked on his faults. Last season he talked back far too much to the referee, and as a result got himself stupid bookings and suspensions, but for the most part this season he seemed to have cut that element out of his game.