When Thomson gets fit again...

Danny

How odd - a complete reversal of the dilemma we had for the first 2 or 3 months of the season - 'where does Ferguson fit in'.

Well, now it surely has to apply to Thomson.

Supposing we start next season (this isn't that applicable to this season unless Thomson gets fit quick) with Thomson, Mendes and Ferguson on board - all 3 are surely certain starters, right?

So if not, who gets dropped for Thomson? Or are we going to start with all 4 of Davis, Ferguson, Mendes and Thomson? Assuming all are still in the team by then that is...

Ferguson gets dropped for me and we change the formation to 4-3-3.

Thomson

Davis Mendes

Aaron Fleck

Boyd

That's an attacking team I'd like to see.

Either that or Thomson replaces Ferguson with the formation we're playing now. Ferguson is the one being dropped either way.

At the moment ferguson is the weak link and should be the one to give way but thomson's return is a long way off so who knows what personnel we will have then. I know fans say can thommo play left becuase he's left footed but i think he has shown how much we miss him in the middle. It would also be unfair on him after coming through unjust(IMO) criticism to establish himself.

Thomson

Davis Mendes

Aaron Fleck

Boyd

That's an attacking team I'd like to see.

Either that or Thomson replaces Ferguson with the formation we're playing now. Ferguson is the one being dropped either way.

This will never happen in a million years....

I am truly stumped , On one hand we have a 24 year old player who untill his injury was playing fantastic football with signs of him only improving , But on the other hand we have a 30 year old injury prone player who has done nothing but deteriated in the last few seasons.

What a predicament eh ? :pipe:

Hes much more valauble than Ferguson

But I wouldnt get too excited about post-injury Thomson. Im imagining much reduced mobility and a knee problems for the future.

Tin hat on,

Just being realistic. Hes done in both knees in his career.

I am truly stumped , On one hand we have a 24 year old player who untill his injury was playing fantastic football with signs of him only improving , But on the other hand we have a 30 year old injury prone player who has done nothing but deteriated in the last few seasons.

What a predicament eh ? :pipe:

Tell that to Walter :craphead:

But I wouldnt get too excited about post-injury Thomson. Im imagining much reduced mobility and a knee problems for the future.

Tin hat on,

hes came bak from it before a better player so hopefully he can do it again

How odd - a complete reversal of the dilemma we had for the first 2 or 3 months of the season - 'where does Ferguson fit in'.

Well, now it surely has to apply to Thomson.

Supposing we start next season (this isn't that applicable to this season unless Thomson gets fit quick) with Thomson, Mendes and Ferguson on board - all 3 are surely certain starters, right?

So if not, who gets dropped for Thomson? Or are we going to start with all 4 of Davis, Ferguson, Mendes and Thomson? Assuming all are still in the team by then that is...

I agreed with Walter, for Barry to go straight back into the team,but it was definately the wrong call.So I think Thomson should not be hurried back.

Who gets dropped when he he finally comes back? If Barry's game isn't any better at that time,then it's got to be him to sit on the bench.

Tin hat on,

I think you are right to suggest caution. His problem before injury was lack of pace which was the reason for his yellow cards. He cannot afford to lose any more pace so best keep our fingers crossed.

With the players we have available, 4-5-1 (played correctly) is our best bet.

We've got three good central midfielders (Davis, Edu and Mendes), two up and coming awesome attack minded players that are comfy as wingers (Fleck and Aaron) and I'd sell most of our strike force to buy a couple of strikers that we can rotate who are comfy playing as the point man in that formation.

Again, as I've been trying to underline over the past few days, nothing personal against Boyd (or any of the strike force) - I just think we'd get good money for them and it'd benefit the team as a whole.

An old post from another thread, probably suits in here better (tu)

Hopefully Ferguson will be gone by the time Thomson is fit.

If not then I reckon, one of either Mendes or Davis may go in the summer.

:anguish:

It would probably be Mendes, but like you I'd rather Ferguson went.

I think Ferguson might be the player who leaves, either in this window or in the summer, but if not he'll keep his place when Thomson regains fitness. And deservedly so IMO. Thomsons form before his injury was decent, but not nearly as wonderful as some seem to remember. His passing was still very poor and his positioning at times was little short of woeful. Say what you like about Ferguson, he can pass the ball and has the vision to play incisive forward passes which create goal-scoring chances. Even though he had a quiet game on Saturday, he still managed to split Falkirks defence 3 times with great through-balls, something that Thomson can't do.

I've always felt that Thomsons contribution has been over-rated since he came to Rangers.........probably because some were so disappointed at our failure to sign Scott Brown and Browns' subsequent signing for them.

I think Ferguson might be the player who leaves, either in this window or in the summer, but if not he'll keep his place when Thomson regains fitness. And deservedly so IMO. Thomsons form before his injury was decent, but not nearly as wonderful as some seem to remember. His passing was still very poor and his positioning at times was little short of woeful. Say what you like about Ferguson, he can pass the ball and has the vision to play incisive forward passes which create goal-scoring chances. Even though he had a quiet game on Saturday, he still managed to split Falkirks defence 3 times with great through-balls, something that Thomson can't do.

I've always felt that Thomsons contribution has been over-rated since he came to Rangers.........probably because some were so disappointed at our failure to sign Scott Brown and Browns' subsequent signing for them.

Very good points, so many players become better when they are not in the team.

This will never happen in a million years....

What, Thomson replacing Ferguson outright? :pipe:

Nah, I don't see my first suggestion happening either but it's what I'd like to see.