Smith's tactics 100% right

Guest Andypendek

that is so true they must have got a lift when seeing teamsheet and we have a holding player to protect the back 4

Or maybe the two Jimmy's were a bit concerned that we were playing a holding midfield to over cover and protection which allowed our ball players to play 10 yards higher up the park and get forward a bit more.

And get it too... MHISSER :rolleyes:

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is so true they must have got a lift when seeing teamsheet and we have a holding player to protect the back 4

Or maybe the two Jimmy's were a bit concerned that we were playing a holding midfield to over cover and protection which allowed our ball players to play 10 yards higher up the park and get forward a bit more.

you honestly think they were concerned when they seen big lee on the teamsheet

I agree with you mate (tu)

The fault today lies firmly at the door of the players.

For 85 minutes they played the match at a tempo which was akin to a training game, in the last five they played a tempo which was acceptable.

Had they done that for the first sixty minutes or so we would have won at a canter.

maybe, maybe. Still not convinced miller has what it takes to score

Smith's tactics were spot on today and we pretty much dominated up until the 60th minute.

no chance - we flooded the midfield and Fleck was our best chance of scoring

there is no way we dominated the game

some are easily pleased with our performances

we never looked like scoring until late on in the game

Your first sentence pretty much means you're agreeing with me..

Fleck and Mendes linked up well in the first half and we were just the killer ball away from a goal. Aberdeen were frustrated and couldn't string a pass together by the 55th minute. Hell, i even thought McCulloch was relatively combative.

'Some are easily pleased', If you knew a thing about me you would realise i've been one of our biggest critics this season. Today was probably the first time i've felt happy with our first half performance since the Caley Thistle demolition.

Your last point.. well that tend to happens when a team goes gung-ho in the last 10 minutes.

Did I say that?

I said the presence of a holding midfield might have thrown them slightly.

I didn't say the person occupying the role would have.

'Some are easily pleased', If you knew a thing about me you would realise i've been one of our biggest critics this season. Today was probably the first time i've felt happy with our first half performance since the Caley Thistle demolition.

Its funny how again, something has managed to split the fans down the middle.

Boyd, Miller when he signed (albeit it wasn't a 50/50 more like 80/20 :lol:) and now 442 v 451.

Smith's tactics were spot on today and we pretty much dominated up until the 60th minute.

no chance - we flooded the midfield and Fleck was our best chance of scoring

there is no way we dominated the game

some are easily pleased with our performances

we never looked like scoring until late on in the game

Your first sentence pretty much means you're agreeing with me..

Fleck and Mendes linked up well in the first half and we were just the killer ball away from a goal. Aberdeen were frustrated and couldn't string a pass together by the 55th minute. Hell, i even thought McCulloch was relatively combative.

Your last point.. well that tend to happens when a team goes gung-ho in the last 10 minutes.

I cannot agree , we had possesion but had no cutting edge , if you are happy with possesion then we played ok, but never dominated or scored

the last game at aberdeen earlier this season we played a lot better in the 1st half

Did I say that?

I said the presence of a holding midfield might have thrown them slightly.

I didn't say the person occupying the role would have.

don't know about them but it threw me and another 30 odd rangers supporters in the pub

Neutralised Aberdeen's threat, which had to be done given we knew they'd come out flying, dominated possession and created enough chances to win the game twice.

Walter - 100% spot on.

Players - 0% for execution.

If you think we should be slaughtering Aberdeen away there's no way you'll agree with this but I think today showed how much more Walter understands about football than we do.

No, the tactics could be called right if won. We drew, the tactics weren't right enough.

That is bullshit.

We have won many games over the years with the wrong tactics, just like we have lost drew many games with the right ones.

Walter was right to go 4-1-4-1. However McCulloch over Edu was a strange call, as was Davis at right mid as we needed him to get forward more.

Neutralised Aberdeen's threat, which had to be done given we knew they'd come out flying, dominated possession and created enough chances to win the game twice.

Walter - 100% spot on.

If you think we should be slaughtering Aberdeen away there's no way you'll agree with this but I think today showed how much more Walter understands about football than we do.

No, the tactics could be called right if won. We drew, the tactics weren't right enough.

That is bullshit.

We have won many games over the years with the wrong tactics, just like we have lost drew many games with the right ones.

Walter was right to go 4-1-4-1. However McCulloch over Edu was a strange call, as was Davis at right mid as we needed him to get forward more.

Edu is injured mate (tu)

Walter - 100% spot on.

That is bullshit.

are you serious

we showed aberdeen far too much respect

but if you were happy with that team selection, there is not much to discuss

Walter - 100% spot on.

That is bullshit.

Edu is injured mate (tu)

Again? didnt he say on Friday he was fit :s

Walter - 100% spot on.

Awryt walter wit ye up te :uk:

Hard to know what to make of this one for a few reasons.

Papac and Broadfoot played some of the most reliable defensive games I have seen for quite some time. Recent games have led me to believe that they would need additional support from a more defensive minded midfield, which is what may have led WS to go with a formation that would provide such backup. But as it stood, they stood strong. But that could have been due to the additional midfield strength. Circular argument. If we went with a more attacking structure from the start, would the back four have been as resolute as they were? Unknown.

However, the decision to switch from a defensive/steadying mindset into a goalscoring one came much to late. Once we had established superiority in the midfield and achieved confidence across the back (BTW - has anyone else noticed the shaky starts lately???), the switch should have been made. Why are managers so old fashioned that they can't make a sub at an earlier time? God forbid, should Walter actually try to seize some initiative in a game at a key moment, other than following the same old script, "I'll make a sub at the 60 minute mark, that will be a forward, and then with 15 minutes to go I'll scrap a midfielder for another quick forward to play at the feet in front of him". I'm sure that Calderwood was bamboozled by that absolute masterstroke.

What about we start trying to win games, instead of trying not to lose them?

Guest Andypendek

Walter - 100% spot on.

Awryt walter wit ye up te :uk:

Rumbled!!!

Ambitions have been reduced both on and off the park unfortunately ... we should be letting teams like aberdeen worry about our threat rather than dropping our top scorer because we are worried about theirs

Exactly, just as septic must have got a lift when we dropped 2 points ... imagine how they would have felt going out to play if we had been ahead of them after they were so far clear a few weeks ago

Walter - 100% spot on.

That is bullshit.

are you serious

we showed aberdeen far too much respect

but if you were happy with that team selection, there is not much to discuss

You didnt read my post did you.

Team selection wasnt ideal, tactics were

Guest Andypendek

But we all know we're just plain not that good! How can we slate the team one minute, then expect them to go out and thrash teams - teams on a flaming impressive run of form, and away from home at that - with what's regarded, certainly on RM anyway, as an extremely weak Rangers?

Never mind easily pleased, some want it both ways. Moan that we're rubbish, then moan that we don't play like Brazil!

But we all know we're just plain not that good! How can we slate the team one minute, then expect them to go out and thrash teams - teams on a flaming impressive run of form, and away from home at that - with what's regarded, certainly on RM anyway, as an extremely weak Rangers?

Never mind easily pleased, some want it both ways. Moan that we're rubbish, then moan that we don't play like Brazil!

I felt confident going in thinking we'd play a 442 with the front end of it lining up..

Davis Mendes Ferguson Fleck

Boyd Miller

As soon as i heard 451 with Miller up front when i was at work i had a bad feeling we wouldn't win.

Its funny how again, something has managed to split the fans down the middle.

Boyd, Miller when he signed (albeit it wasn't a 50/50 more like 80/20 :lol:) and now 442 v 451.

Today's just cemented my opinion. It's either Boyd AND Miller or neither! In all honesty, we could have played wee Aaron up front on his own today & got the same result. A few seasons ago Miller was able to play the lone striker....not today though. He's lost that extra burst of pace needed, and he'll never win headers against defenders taller than him.

If we're going to play a lone striker from now on (can't even believe I'm thinking about this scenario) I reckon we should either use Velicka or (tin hat on) McCulloch. Lee would have been more suited to playing up front today than Miller. Boyd on his own never seems to work, and as today has shown, neither will Miller.

I didn't see anything about Aberdeen today that would make me think they were capable of beating us if we'd played 4-4-2.

Walter - 100% spot on.

what a load of pish, what today showed is Walters safety first tactics and how he wants to not lose a game rather than try to win it.

Ok for europe away but not the SPL.

His tactical genius to play Miller a man who couldnt at the moment hit a coos erse with a banjo, to play Lee McCulloch a horrifically hopeless imposter of a footballer.

A 442 or a 451 with Boyd in the middle Fleck on the left and Novo on the right and our usual mid 3 would have probably won us the game.

Walter - 100% spot on.

(tu)

We're going to win the league.