Smith's tactics 100% right

Guest Andypendek

But we all know we're just plain not that good! How can we slate the team one minute, then expect them to go out and thrash teams - teams on a flaming impressive run of form, and away from home at that - with what's regarded, certainly on RM anyway, as an extremely weak Rangers?

Never mind easily pleased, some want it both ways. Moan that we're rubbish, then moan that we don't play like Brazil!

I felt confident going in thinking we'd play a 442 with the front end of it lining up..

Davis Mendes Ferguson Fleck

Boyd Miller

As soon as i heard 451 with Miller up front when i was at work i had a bad feeling we wouldn't win.

(tu) Agreed Mcboyd, If Walter had gone with this line up I think we could have won the Game. Walter was to negative we need to win games be more positive and play 2 up front.

I thought Davis was poor today, Big Broadfoot did well getting down the wing & put over a few good balls....oh for a winger !!!!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neutralised Aberdeen's threat, which had to be done given we knew they'd come out flying, dominated possession and created enough chances to win the game twice.

Walter - 100% spot on.

Players - 0% for execution.

If you think we should be slaughtering Aberdeen away there's no way you'll agree with this but I think today showed how much more Walter understands about football than we do.

You must be at the windup.

If Smith's tactics were 100% right then he must have been playing for a 0-0 draw.

I would rather see a manager who wants to and tries to win every game that we play, regardless of whether it is Barcelona, Brechin or Aberdeen away.

I don't think's that we should be slaughterig Aberdeen away but we should at least take the game to them, particularly as the incentive was so clear.

The original post = bollox. The players did execute..look at the posession. The main problem was team selection. Boydy on the bench? WTF? Miller said himself he's out of form.

THE swicth to make was Miller and McCulloch off -- for Boyd and Novo. He fucked that up as well. So.. Wattie doesn't know as much about fitba' as you give him credit for.

I totally agree, It was the players who let us down today in front of goal. Smith got it spot on!

Jesus wept, what a load of nonsense, McCulloch and Miller cant really help being rotten, however our scared manager didnt have to pick them. :anguish:

Walter got it wrong today both with tactics and personnel. If he had played it straight for a win he would have got one. Why Miller when he has been shite for weeks? Boyd on his own up front was better than Miller ever was. We should have played a 4 4 2 with Naismith and Boyd up front.

Why cant we play an up-tempo game from the start?

Why cant we drop Ferguson, move Davis inside and play two wingers?

Walter pays far too much respect to teams in the SPL. Attack them - we have the players.

This is why SDM loves Walter. SDM is fanously loyal -- so is Walter. So.. SDM respects him for it. Sadly, being loyal to McCulloch is the worst possible kind of loyalty. Wattie should be loyal to Rangers first -- not fuck ups like McCulloch and Ferguson.

Walter got it wrong today both with tactics and personnel. If he had played it straight for a win he would have got one. Why Miller when he has been shite for weeks? Boyd on his own up front was better than Miller ever was. We should have played a 4 4 2 with Naismith and Boyd up front.

Why cant we play an up-tempo game from the start?

Why cant we drop Ferguson, move Davis inside and play two wingers?

Walter pays far too much respect to teams in the SPL. Attack them - we have the players.

agree with most of what you say, but do we have 2 Wingers, Marcus & ?

Also, why does he love McCulloch so much? Hes now played him on the left wing, right wing, central midfield, up front, holding midfielder and at centre half. Could it be anymore obvious that hes just determined to find a spot for this guy.

Well, he paid quite a lot of money for him & he'll be on a good wage, so despite the fact that we've got better options for just about every position big Lee's been played in, Smith is persisting to try to find a spot for him, because if he doesn't then Lee's just another name added to the list of signings that are making Walter look like a tit.

Neutralised Aberdeen's threat, which had to be done given we knew they'd come out flying, dominated possession and created enough chances to win the game twice.

Walter - 100% spot on.

If you think we should be slaughtering Aberdeen away there's no way you'll agree with this but I think today showed how much more Walter understands about football than we do.

(tu) could not agree more.....

overall I am unhappy at dominating at the sheep farm and not winning, but there were alot of positives I am quite happy to take from the game...

(tu) could not agree more.....

overall I am unhappy at dominating at the sheep farm and not winning, but there were alot of positives I am quite happy to take from the game...

Like.....dropping another 2 vital points, dropping our top scorer and playing a striker short on confidence, abilty & who hasn't scored in 7 games. Like bringing in a player who hasn't played for months and playing him in a position he's never played before.

The only plus side to today was keeping a clean sheet.

Honestly, anyone who is happy after today's result is going to get what they are aiming for....2nd place!

Walter - 100% spot on.

Andy, not read the rest of the thread, so i'll just come out and ask you,

Are you fucking mental?

Team selection was shite, we are lucky if we have 15 goals from the season to date in that team that started today, where was the win going to come from, we are trying to WIN a league.

Walter - 100% spot on.

Andy, not read the rest of the thread, so i'll just come out and ask you,

Are you fucking mental?

Team selection was shite, we are lucky if we have 15 goals from the season to date in that team that started today, where was the win going to come from, we are trying to WIN a league.

Spot on D.O.

How do we close the point gap if we dont go for the win???

Guest Andypendek

<with injured dignity> I may be mental, sirrah, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

The alternative to tightening up today - match up against Aberdeen in a ding dong 'cup-tie' like match. Bluntly I don't think we're good enough to have good away with even a draw from that scenario. I reckon Diamond and Miller would have outmuscled Weir and Boogy and their supply would have come from whatisname, the celtic reject. If you reckon we've got a team fit to win the title you'll think Walter was too defensive, no question. But I ain't seen anything recently to suggest we're that good. I still think we're good enough to beat timmy to the league, but it has to be done over the piece, not in some gungho, 'win every game' attitude. Away to the sheep, Tannadice and I suppose whatever team from Hearts or Motherwell is on form calls for us to stiffen up and grind a win. We set up right, but we failed to convert. Players! Not Smith!

This is why SDM loves Walter. SDM is fanously loyal -- so is Walter. So.. SDM respects him for it. Sadly, being loyal to McCulloch is the worst possible kind of loyalty. Wattie should be loyal to Rangers first -- not fuck ups like McCulloch and Ferguson.

Problem is if we let Walter go any replacement worth his salt would want money to spend to bring in his own players ... and that's the last thing Murray wants right now

I agree with you mate (tu)

The fault today lies firmly at the door of the players.

For 85 minutes they played the match at a tempo which was akin to a training game, in the last five they played a tempo which was acceptable.

Had they done that for the first sixty minutes or so we would have won at a canter.

Aye, we only really attacked near the end of the game.

If we had started with that enthusiasm we would have won easy.

Walter has a hard job.

Some of our players are shite.

<with injured dignity> I may be mental, sirrah, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

The alternative to tightening up today - match up against Aberdeen in a ding dong 'cup-tie' like match. Bluntly I don't think we're good enough to have good away with even a draw from that scenario. I reckon Diamond and Miller would have outmuscled Weir and Boogy and their supply would have come from whatisname, the celtic reject. If you reckon we've got a team fit to win the title you'll think Walter was too defensive, no question. But I ain't seen anything recently to suggest we're that good. I still think we're good enough to beat timmy to the league, but it has to be done over the piece, not in some gungho, 'win every game' attitude. Away to the sheep, Tannadice and I suppose whatever team from Hearts or Motherwell is on form calls for us to stiffen up and grind a win. We set up right, but we failed to convert. Players! Not Smith!

An old argument this point, but in this case a correct one. It was Smith who picked the team and chose that formation. It was he who picked the players to grind out - and snatch a draw from the jaws of a victory. Smith also chose to drop the one player who could/would have taken at least one of the limited efforts that came our way in the first half!

Yes the players may have under performed. Ultimately though, Smith failed to make the correct decisions today!!!

For 85 minutes they played the match at a tempo which was akin to a training game, in the last five they played a tempo which was acceptable.

Had they done that for the first sixty minutes or so we would have won at a canter.

Walter has a hard job.

who bought them.

Walter has a hard job.

who bought them.

lol

Walter obviously.

He has made mistakes, no doubt there.

I will back him till the end of the season.

After that if there is no SPL title i'd sack him. Just let him have a go at it I say.

Walter has a hard job.

who bought them.

lol

Walter obviously.

He has made mistakes, no doubt there.

I will back him till the end of the season.

After that if there is no SPL title i'd sack him. Just let him have a go at it I say.

i dont want him sacked right now but as you say no title then he must go.