The value of the "away draw" or the "hard-earned point"

mccoist355

Is it genuinely an age-thing about the value of a draw nowadays?

There is no doubt that Wattie set his team up in way that placed emphasis on not losing as opposed to winning, in other words, a draw was an acceptable result for Walter yesterday. He hardly treated it as the must-win game it was anyway.

Then I was chatting to my old man, and he kept coming up with this attitude of "at least we didnt get beat" and how valuable the point would be. And he still comes out with the old adage "draw your away games, win your home games"

Are these attitudes from a couple of old fogies (sorry Dad) due to living in the grand old days when a two draw meant the same as a win and loss? Or am i just imagining things?

The reality nowadays is that a draw is almost as damaging as a defeat, but this seems to be lost on some people of an older generation? Is this fair?

I can see this argument of a draw being fine for away games at Aberdeen and United, and obviously at Celtic

however for this particular away game at Aberdeen, we had the chance to go top, albeit for a few hours, and that was the most important part for me, and it disappointed me that we didn't go for it

Celtic would probably have went on to still win against Hibs, but the pressure would have been there

There is no doubt that Wattie set his team up in way that placed emphasis on not losing as opposed to winning, in other words, a draw was an acceptable result for Walter yesterday. He hardly treated it as the must-win game it was anyway.

Then I was chatting to my old man, and he kept coming up with this attitude of "at least we didnt get beat" and how valuable the point would be. And he still comes out with the old adage "draw your away games, win your home games"

Are these attitudes from a couple of old fogies (sorry Dad) due to living in the grand old days when a two draw meant the same as a win and loss? Or am i just imagining things?

The reality nowadays is that a draw is almost as damaging as a defeat, but this seems to be lost on some people of an older generation? Is this fair?

no its not lost on older people, we should be going for a win every game we play and to me its some of the younger bears or some bears who seem happy to accept 2nd best that a draw will do.

We should be going out to win every single game, regardless of opponents and their form.

If we lose the league by 2 points this year, then this is one of the games I'm sure Watty would have changed his tactics in hindsight and hope we all forget it

a draw is not acceptable. We had the chances to win the game and didnt take them. I think the team selection and tactics cost us but the simple fact is that if nacho had hit that shot a couple of inches to the right it would have went in off the post and we would have won 1-0 and then we wouldnt be complaining. The line between success and failure is very very slim. If we had been played off the park and held out for a draw i would class it as a hard earned point like we got againt barca at ibrox. Yesterday was not the same thing. We were the dominant team and deserved to win. To come away with a draw is a massive disappointment and i can only look at it as a missed chance and 2 points dropped. We have lost the same number of games as celtic, its the draws that mean we are 2nd and not first so a draw is not acceptable.

when it was two points for a win a draw was lot more acceptable away

but now it is three it is like a defeat as you drop two points

on the bright side we did better than the tims against them but it only is 1 point difference between the results so still a oportunity missed

no its not lost on older people, we should be going for a win every game we play and to me its some of the younger bears or some bears who seem happy to accept 2nd best that a draw will do.

Minstral I think there is a thread about that somewhere!!!

Depends what the expectations are at your club. For Rangers its to win a championship in a two horse race so there is no chance draws are acceptable away or home, the only place i'd ever consider myself happy to just get a point from would be Parkhead and even then it depends on the circumstances of the league table etc.

Drawing your away games and winning your home games certainly isn't enough, thats pretty much what we did last season and we didn't win the league. Only getting a point at the likes of Pittodrie, Easter Road and Fir Park cost us the title.

Do you see Real Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Liverpool(well sometimes it looks like it with Rafa) Chelsea, Arsenal, Bayern Munich, Manchester United, AC Milan, Juventus, Inter, Lyon, Bordeaux, Standard Liege, Anderlecht, Panathinaikos, Olympiakos....or any of the teams challenging for a league title, ever playing for a draw?

Would you see Gordon Strachan play for a draw, would you fcuk.

I have never seen a management team, players and some supporters happy with a draw.

1st is everything, 2nd is nothing and that's what playing for a draw is like.

We should,ve went all out for a win.............a draw or a defeat makes little difference we,re still playing catch-up, if we,d won yesterday even with the tic winning we,d might have been going into the OF just 2 points behind. We could,ve beat them and went 1 point above them,now even if we do beat them we,re still trailing them, I know we,ve a game to play b4 the OF game am just surmising what could,ve been.

This thread seems to have been misunderstood. OF COURSE we all believe Rangers should play to win and a draw is useless to us.

But I just wondered if there is a subconscious tendency towards satisfaction with a draw, especially away from home, with people of a certain age for whom, for the most majority of their footballing lives, one point for a draw was considerably more value than it is now.

Just trying to enter into Wattie's world! :unsure:

This thread seems to have been misunderstood. OF COURSE we all believe Rangers should play to win and a draw is useless to us.

But I just wondered if there is a subconscious tendency towards satisfaction with a draw, especially away from home, with people of a certain age for whom, for the most majority of their footballing lives, one point for a draw was considerably more value than it is now.

Just to be clear a lot of older Bears here do not want to be ever part of Walter's world with his inane team selection and tactics. His safety first attitude may well lose us the league.

wattie still thinks its the world of the flintstones.