Why is the Scottish Cup seen as being more prestigious than the League Cup?

Tontospal

I know the Scottish Cup is much older, obviously has moe tradition than the League Cup and is usually the last game of the season.

However, apart from including additional teams such as Inverurie Locos, Forres Mechanics etc, I have never understood why it is deemed to be of much greater importance and status.

Years ago the winners (or runners up if the double was completed) of the Scottish Cup qualified for the ECWC whilst the winners of the League Cup competed in the UEFA Cup.

Since the ECWC disappeared the Scottish winners (or runners up) qualify for the UEFA Cup whereas the League Cup winners get nothing in terms of European qualification.

I have always considered them equal parts of the treble and I would like to see them considered as such.

As a result, I would like to see a UEFA Cup place awarded to the winner of a play-off between the League Cup and Scottish Cup winners, to be played a week after the Scottish Cup Final.

Where a treble is won, the runners up in both competitions compete for the UEFA Cup place.

Where a team qualifies for the CL or the UEFA Cup through the SPL and wins either cup then the team who wins the other cup gets the UEFA Cup spot with no need for a play-off.

I think it could regenerate the League Cup and provide an exciting end to the season.

Guest Andypendek

Probably coz of timing and format, being played while players are fresh has meant less upsets and so no 'romance of the cup' tradition has evolved, also the mini-league setup just about bored everyone to death. The only time this competition has had any cachet was in the mid 80s early 90s when it was the Skol Cup, result on the night, 1st round to final before Xmas, excellent stuff. Killed by greed as usual.

Probably because its a competition the whole of Scottish Football partake in. The League Cup is just for the Scottish League. The lack of European place doesn't help our league cup these days but even in England with the UEFA Cup place its seen as less prestigious than the FA Cup.

Probably coz of timing and format, being played while players are fresh has meant less upsets and so no 'romance of the cup' tradition has evolved, also the mini-league setup just about bored everyone to death. The only time this competition has had any cachet was in the mid 80s early 90s when it was the Skol Cup, result on the night, 1st round to final before Xmas, excellent stuff. Killed by greed as usual.

Agree with that,the 80`s provided some classic finals . It`s not the same in March ,i know there had been finals then before ,but to me it should be at the end of October when the clocks change!!

Guest Andypendek

It didn't hurt us having a top drawer record in that Cup as well.

Anyone remember playing Dundee Utd on a pissing wet Sunday, sometime around 85? I think it might have been Ian Ferguson who got the winner but it's all a bit hazy, having spent a boozy hour in Johnstone's LOL before the game. Well, I was only 14 at the time.

It didn't hurt us having a top drawer record in that CUp as well.

Anyone remember playing Dundee Utd on a pissing wet Sunday, sometime around 85? I think it might have been Ian Ferguson who got the winner but it's all a bit hazy, having spent a boozy hour in Johnstone's LOL before the game. Well, I was only 14 at the time.

I was 16 and spent a boozy hour in Renfrew LOL beforehand !!! You`re correct ,it was Ian Ferguson mk1 who won it for us !!! I remember getting jumped by 4 or 5 t**** on my way home to my grandparents !! Gramps cleaned up my burst lip in the bathroom while wee granny began sowing back together my Union Jack they had attempted to rip apart !! Proud memories of a proud era!!!

Guest Andypendek

They would enter the ECWC and the next best placed team in the league would enter the UEFA, to be knocked out, in due course, by Dukla Prague or Hammarby.

We got into Europe this way one season, after finishing fifth or something horrific like that. Today's problems are truly nothing in comparison.

What if the same team was runners up in both cups and hadnt already qualified for Europe?

who would they play?

They would just get the place awarded to them.

and it the runner up was the same in both cups, and had already qualified for europe ( aka celtic finnishing 2nd in spl and us beating them in 2 finals )

then the place would go to the person next in the league places for europe.

Probably because its a competition the whole of Scottish Football partake in. The League Cup is just for the Scottish League. The lack of European place doesn't help our league cup these days but even in England with the UEFA Cup place its seen as less prestigious than the FA Cup.

But it is effectively the same. When was the last time a non SPL or SFL side got in to the last 4,8,16 of the Scottish Cup?

The League Cup this year will be a big thing purely because it is an old firm final and possibly the frst leg of a treble.

Other than that it usually doesn't ratea mention.

In England the romance of the cup is fantastic and every year non-league or lower league sides complete giant killing acts.

is it not the oldest trophy in world football, 1873 i think. i cant remember exactly but did queens park not write to all clubs in Scotland and ask them for a donation of a £1 to purchase a trophy?

i stand to be corrected though!!

It didn't hurt us having a top drawer record in that Cup as well.

Aye was at that final also, wasnt the best of games, but it was a cup win and in those days it was most welcome because we didnt win that much.

What sticks in my mind most about that game was the car I was in driven by my pal may I add, knocking down an old man after the game it was

so funny I was sitting in the back of the car looking out the window and the next thing I saw was this old boy going past the window horizontally,

thankfully all that was hurt was his pride and he did admit that it was his fault as he stepped onto the road without looking,all being well we all had

a good laugh on the way home.

That's the issue right there I think.

Regardless of the reasons behind it (helping teams in Euope), having the SPL clubs enter at the 3rd/4th round round gives no real sense of achievement. 3 games and your in a final! The top 3/4 SL clubs could easily put out a reserve/youth team in the earlier rounds, so long as it was against lower league opposition.

Slightly off topic but why are they refering to the Scottish cup as the homecoming Scottish Cup this year?

This years sponsors, just as it used to be known as the Tennants Scottish cup.

They had no Sponsor after Tennents pulled out, then Willie Haughey or whatever hes called bought sponsor rights for 1-2 seasons I think and handed it to his pal Alec Salmond to use for his own ideas iirc

Slightly off topic but why are they refering to the Scottish cup as the homecoming Scottish Cup this year?

This years sponsors, just as it used to be known as the Tennants Scottish cup.

They had no Sponsor after Tennents pulled out, then Willie Haughey or whatever hes called bought sponsor rights for 1-2 seasons I think and handed it to his pal Alec Salmond to use for his own ideas iirc

Ah ok, so they just put the Homecoming part in for the crack then? Queer buggers, hope tennets get it back its always been the tennebts scots cup for as long as i can remember!