Manchester United eye John Fleck

Rangers youngster has only played a few games but he is already attracting interest from Manchester United and Chelsea

John Fleck has only played a handful of first-team games for Rangers, but already he has his eyes on a second winner's medal and that will surely intensify predatory glances from elsewhere for the talented teenager.

Walter Smith, the manager, could be facing a tough fight to keep Fleck at Ibrox, if reports revealing the interest of Manchester United in the 17-year-old are correct. Sir Alex Ferguson, Smith's friend and former colleague at Old Trafford, is reputed to have put Fleck on the United's radar.

Ferguson's chief scout, his brother, Martin, watched Fleck play for 70 minutes last week at Pittodrie in the goalless draw with Aberdeen, reports claimed yesterday. The youngster was restricted to just 13 minutes as a substitute in the 3-0 victory over Falkirk in the Co-operative Insurance Cup semi-final victory on Tuesday night, but he still earned praise from his manager.

It was Smith who fast-tracked Fleck last season and brought him on as a substitute in the 3-2 victory over Queen of the South in the Scottish Cup final. Now the teenager is keen add to his collection of medals when the Co-op Cup final is played on March 15. The worry among Rangers supporters, though, is that Fleck could disappear from their midst before they have even had time to enjoy him.

“It goes without saying we'd like to win the trophy,” the teenager said yesterday. “We won it last season and it would be nice to win the first piece of silverware on offer this season. We played well and it was an impressive victory. Nacho Novo scored two good goals and we eventually got the third late in the game through Kris Boyd.

“I just want to be involved as much as possible and I'm enjoying the experience. I feel that I've done well and want that to continue.”

Fleck has drawn comparisons with Wayne Rooney due to both his ability and physical appearance. However, Manchester United may have a fight on their hand to land him, as Chelsea are also thought to be interested in the teenager.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5607183.ece

It would be a massive letdown if Fleck is sold after recently forcing his way into the first team.

There would be an outrage the like of which may never have been seen amongst Rangers fans for many a long year if that happens. And rightly so.

As strange as it sound, Fleck could be the biggest Asset to sell at Rangers at the moment.

Although i don't want him to leave, if Chelsea and Man Utd get into a bidding war over Fleck. It would be extremely hard to turn down in our Current financial state.

If players like Nani, Anderson, and Ivanovic go for massive fees, then so can Fleck.

As strange as it sound, Fleck could be the biggest Asset to sell at Rangers at the moment.

Although i don't want him to leave, if Chelsea and Man Utd get into a bidding war over Fleck. It would be extremely hard to turn down in our Current financial state.

If players like Nani, Anderson, and Ivanovic go for massive fees, then so can Fleck.

Exactly.

If this is true that Man Utd and Chelsea are interested, i wonder how both will conduct business after the last time they got into a bit of a mess regarding a young player called John Obi Mikel.

I take your point but Fleck is the seedcorn for the future ... if we sell that we shouldn't be surprised if we live through a famine

I take your point but Fleck is the seedcorn for the future ... if we sell that we shouldn't be surprised if we live through a famine

Yeah it's a massive decision, if the situation comes up.

Guest Andypendek

He wouldn't get near either 1st team...well, maybe Chelsea's at a massive pinch having seen their game tonight...but there'd be nothing in it for him at this stage, other than the money he'll certainly earn anyway.

Can`t believe these teams are sniffing about with 2miliion bids when the boy has only broke into the first team and has yet to score!!

If Smiths plays him until the the end of the season and he gets his inevitable goals,then maybe these stories would hold more weight!

Yeah it's a massive decision, if the situation comes up.

With the financial situation as it is we will probably never replace a player of his potential (and a Bear to boot) so we must keep him as long as possible