Message to Boyd

Steakbake

This isn't an invitation to see who rates Boydy and who doesn't as that is going over old ground.

Murray coming out and saying someone MUST be sold after agreeing a fee for Boyd meant it looked obvious to the bears that if he wasn't going then somebody had to even if it resulted in the club not getting their true worth for the player concerned.Turning down Bolton's interest in Mendes merely contradicts Murray's original statement and leaves the bears in the dark of the consequences of nobody going.

Whatever way you look at it the message from the club to Boyd is that you are no great loss which must have an impact on his attitude towards his employers.

For what it's worth i'm glad nobody went(of significance) as i feel we need as many options as possible to get out title back.

This isn't an invitation to see who rates Boydy and who doesn't as that is going over old ground.

Murray coming out and saying someone MUST be sold after agreeing a fee for Boyd meant it looked obvious to the bears that if he wasn't going then somebody had to even if it resulted in the club not getting their true worth for the player concerned.Turning down Bolton's interest in Mendes merely contradicts Murray's original statement and leaves the bears in the dark of the consequences of nobody going.

Whatever way you look at it the message from the club to Boyd is that you are no great loss which must have an impact on his attitude towards his employers.

For what it's worth i'm glad nobody went(of significance) as i feel we need as many options as possible to get out title back.

I don't think Murray put any thought into his big statement about having to sell one of our top players. Either that or a complete lack of business sense essentially leaving the club open to "take it or leave it" type bids from other clubs. Either way it has bitten him on the arse.

Did they also not say that Mendes was not for sale right from the start? Never mind the fact that the offer was a serious under valuation of Mendes, and the offer for Boyd was about right in my opinion.

it was said today that a bid was turned down for mendes - it may have been £2m or maybe £3m - which would be below their valuation - we will never know

just because they accepted an offfer for boyd does not mean they do not rate him- it was that the offer matched their valuation of the player

football is simple everyone has a price - Boyds was £3.8m - i see no reason why it would affect his outlook towards rangers

I still cannot beleive that SDM told the world we needed to sell a top player - it only encourages low bids from interested clubs

Did they also not say that Mendes was not for sale right from the start? Never mind the fact that the offer was a serious under valuation of Mendes, and the offer for Boyd was about right in my opinion.

I fail to see why you think that Bolton's bid of 3.5m was a serious under valuation. We paid 3m and he has not become a better player playing in the SPL to justify a significant increase in his value.

I fail to see why you think that Bolton's bid of 3.5m was a serious under valuation. We paid 3m and he has not become a better player playing in the SPL to justify a significant increase in his value.

Was thinking the same. He is still the same player we bought.

I don't think Murray put any thought into his big statement about having to sell one of our top players. Either that or a complete lack of business sense essentially leaving the club open to "take it or leave it" type bids from other clubs. Either way it has bitten him on the arse.

That shows the change in Murray-he would never have shown his hand years ago.

Was thinking the same. He is still the same player we bought.

Prices also have to do with remaining length of contract.

My understanding is that everyone was available due to 'the need to balance the books' Murray's words.

must disagree here. i think that the situ with boyd was that they did want to sell a player, and would have been quite happy too up until all the fuss kicked off. i personally think if they had sold mendes from under our noses, just when we got back in with a shout, i firmly believe rangers would have civil war on their hands, and the thought of lost season ticket money possibly outplayed their hand for this window.

so, to apease us, they either put it to bed, and told mendes no way, or what i think, is that mendes will b on his way if we blow this league, as i honestly think that cl football will only b the catalyst for him staying next season.

does anybody really believe that pedro mendes, a really talented foreign player at 29-30 wants to play the last top days of his career up here, when knowing fine well he can cut the mustard elsewhere in europe?

i do think he enjoys it here, but i will b very surprised if he still here come 31st august.

must disagree here. i think that the situ with boyd was that they did want to sell a player, and would have been quite happy too up until all the fuss kicked off. i personally think if they had sold mendes from under our noses, just when we got back in with a shout, i firmly believe rangers would have civil war on their hands, and the thought of lost season ticket money possibly outplayed their hand for this window.

so, to apease us, they either put it to bed, and told mendes no way, or what i think, is that mendes will b on his way if we blow this league, as i honestly think that cl football will only b the catalyst for him staying next season.

does anybody really believe that pedro mendes, a really talented foreign player at 29-30 wants to play the last top days of his career up here, when knowing fine well he can cut the mustard elsewhere in europe?

i do think he enjoys it here, but i will b very surprised if he still here come 31st august.

Or maybe hes very happy here, at 29-30 hes maybe 3-4yrs left of his career, hes with a big club who plays european football every year,challenges for trophies hes the top man in this league, cruises games, fans adore him. WHY would he want to go to a bottom to mid-table EPL team, and just fade away till he retires?

Or maybe hes very happy here, at 29-30 hes maybe 3-4yrs left of his career, hes with a big club who plays european football every year,challenges for trophies hes the top man in this league, cruises games, fans adore him. WHY would he want to go to a bottom to mid-table EPL team, and just fade away till he retires?

fair enough, i cant argue with your theory. i just think if this league chase goes belly up i think he will end up moving on.

for the record, i hope i am wrong, as he has in a high majority of games played really well. i dont idolise him like other fans, but i do value his worth.

Murray has never worried about fan power in the past e.g.the unpopular signing of Kenny Miller.

Smith has serious doubts about Boyd in the bigger games. They obviously feel they can do without Boyd, Mcgregor, Barry, and Majhid but not without Pedro.

so Walter only trusts one player - Pedro

are we a one man team?

Smith has serious doubts about Boyd in the bigger games. They obviously feel they can do without Boyd, Mcgregor, Barry, and Majhid but not without Pedro.

are we a one man team?

It would have to have been a stunning offer to get pedro away. Looking at the squad you can understand why he would feel that the others players absence could be covered but mendes leaving would've place feruson as our midfield playmaker.

A team is build on its spine; Goalkeeper, central defender, Central midfielder/playmaker, striker.

No owner or manager with ambition should be willing to sell any of these players unless he has the funds and opportunity to bring in better than what he has.

No matter what anyone thinks about his workrate and overall play Boyd is a rarity; an instinctive goalscoring striker, but it has been well known that Walter has been hoping to move him on in the last 3 windows.

Anyone that thinks Smith rates Boyd hasn't being paying attention for the last 2 years.

I think the OP has a point. A bid comes in from Alex McLeish at the start of the window. Smith wants to take it as he knows it is unlikely a bid of that level will come in for Boyd from anyone else. Rather than be accused of being idiots for selling their top goal scorer, Smith, Bain and SDM decide it would be better to come up with a story that they have to sell Boyd to balance the books - unfortunately for them, the deal falls through and they all look a bit stupid now.

are we a one man team?

It would have to have been a stunning offer to get pedro away. Looking at the squad you can understand why he would feel that the others players absence could be covered but mendes leaving would've place feruson as our midfield playmaker.

I do understand , but I also think he will leave in the summer and go back to the EPL , if he gets the chance

And we will not get much over £3m for him, IMO

are we a one man team?

Not bad when that man is Jesus :craphead: