For older Bears

nvager

G Niven, W Ritchie, P McCloy?

nvager when you think peter Mcloy played 644 games beating jerry dawsons record of 545 and won a european cup winners cup medal.

This may be a false memory.

We signed the Big Gas Meter from Motherwell and his first game was at East End Park, in a 3-2 defeat. My old man announced on the way back that McCloy would not do, too big and too slow to get down to low shots. Coming from Lanarkshire, I thought Motherwell's other keeper, Keith McCrae was the better bet.

In saying this, the big man routinely pulled off game saving saves, particularly in Europe. I suppose imagery has a lot to do with it, I keep seeing McCloy swinging from that Hampden cross bar after conceding against Aberdeen in the 1978 Scottish Cup final.

nvager when you think peter Mcloy played 644 games beating jerry dawsons record of 545 and won a european cup winners cup medal.

We signed the Big Gas Meter from Motherwell and his first game was at East End Park, in a 3-2 defeat. My old man announced on the way back that McCloy would not do, too big and too slow to get down to low shots. Coming from Lanarkshire, I thought Motherwell's other keeper, Keith McCrae was the better bet.

In saying this, the big man routinely pulled off game saving saves, particularly in Europe. I suppose imagery has a lot to do with it, I keep seeing McCloy swinging from that Hampden cross bar after conceding against Aberdeen in the 1978 Scottish Cup final.

i think it was a 2-1 defeat and colin stein scored our goal. (tu)

You are correct, having checked McElroy's, 'Player by Player' tome.

You are correct, having checked McElroy's, 'Player by Player' tome.

Yup, Gas Meter did have the occasional clanger - but Ritchie Niven didn't have the same nubern of high profile games in Europe high. Niven & Ritchie wore a bunnet though!

1. Ritchie

2. Niven

3. McCloy

Niven may have let in seven against the rattlers but he was betrayed by Valentine. Over his career he was dependable and Ritchie even more so.

McCloy gets a lot of stick but I thought he was pretty good. Apart from the Goalie Peter made the best save I ever saw playing for 'Well against Hibs at Easter Road. He was going to his right to catch a corner when the ball was deflected off a defender to Neil Martin four yards out. Martin was superb in the air and headed the ball down to McLoy's left. Keeper twisted and jumped downwards (if that's possible) to palm the ball up and over the crossbar. I was standing right behind the goal at the time. The memory's never left me and that's why I wasn't all that impressed by Banks' save from Pele!

Niven was in goal when I started supporting.

I was gutted when Ritchie replaced him.

McCloy I have never rated but he was never as bad as Stuart Kennedy (but wiki says "but Kennedy was the most successful, amassing 131 appearances and 45 clean sheets." !!

I would rate them as Niven, Ritchie, McCloy.

I have to go with McCloy, probably moreso as he was such an improvement on Norrie Martin! :D

To be fair, I think all three were very good keepers. McCloy probably suffers more than the other 2 because we can watch his gaffes on YouTube more than the others. He was a wonderful servant to Rangers for many years.

Does he still do the matchday stuff he used to? I know he's the Starter at Turnberry now, so possibly not?

My memories of Ritchie was the way he would lead with his knee[sometimes his studs] if any forward was brave [or stupid] enough to challenge him for a ball, still don't know how he got away with it,

My favorite was Georgie Niven, the Girvan Lighthouse was ok but honestly, not anything special, those were the days when Scottish goalies for the most part were generaly awful.

McCloy I have never rated but he was never as bad as Stuart Kennedy (but wiki says "but Kennedy was the most successful, amassing 131 appearances and 45 clean sheets." !!

I dont remember what season it was, but Kennedy was absolutely OUTSTANDING for us.....

THEN..he played at Wembley... I still have visions of him wrapping himself around the goalpost !

I think we lost 5-1 or something......another Scottish goalkeeper 'buried' at Wembley

Dont think he ever hit the heights again after that.

I dont remember what season it was, but Kennedy was absolutely OUTSTANDING for us.....

THEN..he played at Wembley... I still have visions of him wrapping himself around the goalpost !

I think we lost 5-1 or something......another Scottish goalkeeper 'buried' at Wembley

The 5-1 humiliation was 1975, I was in attendance.

Tremendous opitimism before that game, Derek Parlane and Alfie Conn were tipped to start, I could not see us losing. Team and tactics did not matter, Stewart Kennedy had a howler, rapping himself around a goalpost at the English third or fourth? We had retired to the bar at the back of the stand.

The 5-1 humiliation was 1975, I was in attendance.

Tremendous opitimism before that game, Derek Parlane and Alfie Conn were tipped to start, I could not see us losing. Team and tactics did not matter, Stewart Kennedy had a howler, rapping himself around a goalpost at the English third or fourth? We had retired to the bar at the back of the stand.

Off topic, but I remember the Scottish fans chanting to the English supporters as we were walking out down Wembley way,"you couldnae make it 6 you couldnae make it 6 you couldnaaaaaaaae make it 6" fuckin' priceless, nothing could spoil Wembley weekend. :D

Guest happytobeblue

Big peter just because the other two were just before my time Norrie Martin was the goalie when I started going

and I thought he was mince. :21:

I go with the Girvan Lighthouse , but Kieth mcrae i thought he was useful in his day also

My memories of Ritchie was the way he would lead with his knee[sometimes his studs] if any forward was brave [or stupid] enough to challenge him for a ball, still don't know how he got away with it,

My favorite was Georgie Niven, the Girvan Lighthouse was ok but honestly, not anything special, those were the days when Scottish goalies for the most part were generaly awful.

i think your being a bit hard/a wee bit/ jim cruickshanks, campbell forsyth,frank haffey ,well maybe you were right.

I would have that technically Ritchie was the best keeper but McCloy played forever and although he made some clangers you do not play that amount of games without being a great keeper.

Billy Ritchie was the best of the three (IMHO) but you cannot fault Gas Meter's career between the sticks. However he was never my favourite (commited some right howlers)...swinging on the bar against the sheep at Hampden anyone? I preferred Kennedy but Wembley '75 did for him.