'Rangers to escape censure' for singing

Ibroxblue

Rangers expected to escape punishment after SPL sectarian chant probe against Celtic

Rangers are unlikely to be punished by either a fine or the docking of points, despite being reported to the Scottish Premier League for an outbreak of sectarian singing by their fans at Celtic Park during Sunday's Old Firm derby, Telegraph Sport understands.

By Roddy Forsyth

Last Updated: 8:06PM GMT 17 Feb 2009

The SPL's match delegate, Alan Dick, will deliver his report on the proceedings on Wednesday and will mention the singing of the chorus of The Famine Song, which has been proscribed by the Ibrox club on threat of prosecution.

Rangers were reported for sectarian chanting at Inverness at the start of last season, but escaped sanctions by the SPL in recognition of the efforts they have made to eradicate the problem. It appears likely to go in their favour that when a fan was removed from the crowd at Kilmarnock for singing the chorus in November – he was subsequently sentenced to two years' probation and banned from football grounds – it was stewards employed by Rangers who apprehended the culprit.

The same arrangements will be in place at Station Park on Wednesday night when Forfar meet Rangers in the Homecoming Scottish Cup fifth round tie which was postponed because of a frozen pitch....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...nst-Celtic.html

Pish the guy that was banned at killie was banned not for singing the famine song but for other so called sectarian shouting,Their is no evidence that the famine song is sectarian or racist just by saying something is sectarian doesnt mean it is."This is a lump of gold no it's a brick no it's a lump of gold beause i say it is ".Won't stand in court

Pish the guy that was banned at killie was banned not for singing the famine song but for other so called sectarian shouting,Their is no evidence that the famine song is sectarian or racist just by saying something is sectarian doesnt mean it is."This is a lump of gold no it's a brick no it's a lump of gold beause i say it is ".Won't stand in court

They are just trying for the old "customs and practice" route of repeating a lie so often it becomes accepted as fact. :angry:

They are just trying for the old "customs and practice" route of repeating a lie so often it becomes accepted as fact. :angry:

The BBC seemed to go one further and were suggesting that TFS "mocks the potato famine," which is clearly a lie.

The BBC seemed to go one further and were suggesting that TFS "mocks the potato famine," which is clearly a lie.

When are they going to accept that it's about fake paddies not fake tatties.

When are they going to accept that it's about fake paddies not fake tatties.

All this "tattie" talk leaves me famished!! :gerbad::P

This is incorrect. The original report was wrong, and after a few e-mails to the PCC, the press changed their release to say he was charged with a breach of the peace - aggravated by religious and racial prejudice.

There is a precedent (tu)

Rangers were reported for sectarian chanting at Inverness at the start of last season,

Funnily enough by the same 'observer'....

They forget Scotland is a village and they will all get sussed in the fullness of time and kicked in the baws for any damage that they do. :sherlock:

"Won't be at the game tonight, but I hope to hear it loud and clear." says Shoot..

I quite like the famine song correctly directed but it's got sod all to do with Forfar. Kep it in its proper place.

Good point, actually. It got a bit stupid when it was being sung at Love Street.

I don't know, I guess given the amount of games on tv you can still accurately direct songs at Celtic even if we aren't playing them.

I actually think the song itself (i.e. the whole thing as opposed to the brief rendition you get at the football) is the height of idiocy, but it's not sectarian and even if it were, I don't understand why the club gets punished for it and they don't just target the fans singing it. When Celtic fans got banned for offensive singing recently it was never an issue to do with Celtic being punished as a club, it was all directed at the individuals themselves, so I don't see why we should be held responsible as a club for what our fans sing.

Funny that it is so easily heard by the one observer. The rest of them need their hearing checked apparently. :rolleyes:

And of course, nobody at all seems to find it offensive when Celtic are looking good for a win, but then suddenly an awkward draw, a two point gap and then its all in the papers again.

If Timmy can play a song about the tatty famine over the tannoy and display a banner proclaiming that C*ltic are a club 'born of famine and oppression, then I believe I reserve the right to remind them that said famine is indeed over

They reserve sole rights to flog the said famine for all it's worth :rolleyes:

Funny that it is so easily heard by the one observer. The rest of them need their hearing checked apparently. :rolleyes:

And of course, nobody at all seems to find it offensive when Celtic are looking good for a win, but then suddenly an awkward draw, a two point gap and then its all in the papers again.

I've also noticed if they draw or beat us there's a distinct lack of reports in the media about the big bag bigots targetting their fans or players. If we win (going by media reports) we're out to cause mayhem. Doesn't make sense!

If Timmy can play a song about the tatty famine over the tannoy and display a banner proclaiming that C*ltic are a club 'born of famine and oppression, then I believe I reserve the right to remind them that said famine is indeed over

But it's their Famine, it only affected the Kaffolicks dont ya know

if we are to be docked points or fined for this nonsense then can anyone see the jungles docked for their singing of PIRA songs or the sheep molesters getting the same treatment for their singing about the Ibrox disaster and Ian Durrant?! Also if Scottish football goes really mad we could have the Harry Wraggs reamed for singing "fcuk the pope and fcuk the queen"!!

One Scotland Many Cultures .... Unless you're a Rangers Fan!!