'glasgow' Rangers

Briton

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was in London and someone asked what team I support I would say Glasgow Rangers. This is to ensure there was no confusion between QPR, Berwick or New York.

As someone else pointed out...Rangers shouldn't need any further identifier; although with attitudes like your you can see why are correct title is confused.

I believe the Glasgow may have been started to be added in the earlier years of European competitions, when, unlike today where there is massive TV coverage, people from different countries were learning the locations of teams in the competitions.

A number of teams are called the name of their town or city, so that was simple enough, but a number like ourselves don't have the city in their title so the Glasgow would have been added, as in 'Rangers from Glasgow', which I suppose evolved for the Europeans to Glasgow Rangers to identify our location.

We used to add on the locations of teams ourselves, I have a number of programmes for home games from the '60's and underneath the team name it mentions their location.

Heard Andy Cameron on the radio bleating on about 'Glasgow Rangers' the other day!

It annoys me when media outlets put 'Glasgow' in our name but when one of our own 'supporters' does, I think fuck off Andy Cameron, just fuck right off!

The man calls himself a h** all you need to know about Andy.

it's because there are so many teams who want to bear the name Rangers; Berwick, Queens Park etc.

Sky Sports to be fair should just introduce us as "the worlds most successful football club, Rangers"

There are hundreds of teams called United but if someone starts talking about United in a general sense, you know who they mean. That's how it should be with Rangers.

The Gers, The Teddy bears, The Famous Glasgow Rangers. Whatever they call us, I want respect for my Club, our history and achievements.

I like the correct name, but I won't let a derivative wind me up. The Rangers does have a bit of a ring to it, none of these also ran The Rangers, the one and only.