The current defence - A liability this season

Rambo1872

Think the back four today showed that their needs to be replacements or its going to be our downfall this season and be a thorn in our side in the  and every side will exploit the weakness. Wilson just didn't turn up the day, scared to header the ball, not putting in tackles and hesitating too much. Kiernan was weak as well. Going to be interesting to see if it can get sorted out before the league games kick off. Tavernier was good overall in my opinion, few weak passes that could have gone wrong and cost a goal but made it up for it with fast wing play and creating opportunities. Wallace was impressive as usual. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We played and controlled the game today with some lovely football but we have to be more clinical in front of goal.

Only a fuckin blind man couldnae see how bad that shower of shite at the back is. I really don't know why Warburton can't see it.

Sort that defence and that league title is back where it belongs.

Tav is going to become an enigma with the poor defensive lapses but good attacking play.

Kiernan is not good enough.. When he first came i thought i could see the potential but he is woeful and him and Tav being weak defenders costs us constantly down that side and will be badly exposed against better teams in the league. Today they just picked up from where they left off in cup final.

Wilsons too casual.

Wallace was decent but not overly impressive defensively either but a good shift as always agreed.

Surely Warburton sees now that this defence isnt working, hes an intelligent man and i hope this is maybe the little boot up the backside/evidence needed to push a good CB over the line. The general level of defending is pathetic and shambolic at times.

Tav got too far up the wing in the first minute and they exploited it instantly. There was a period of about 30 minutes where they pounded our right wing hoping for a repeat from Tav and it almost came to fruition a few times. Who we got eyes on for possible replacements? 

I see the same issues are being spoke about that were spoke about last season.

That'll be because it was the exact same players and we have just over two weeks of training under our belt :lol:

Clint Hill will add experience to that back line and be able to talk Kiernan/Wilson through the game more. Barton/Rossiter in Halliday's role is obviously going to give us an improvement and we are still in the market for a new centre half.

I'll stick to enjoying the win tonight given how embarrassing we were the last time we were at Fir Park :) 

Defence will never be your strongpoint when your full backs play just in front of the wingers.

We will have to get used to it because I doubt the manager will change it anytime soon.

Hopefully a better defensive midfielder will cut out the source balls before they land behind our defence

Agree 100%. No faith in the CB line up, powder-puff. It's obvious where teams are going to target us this season. 

I know Hodson and Hill are still to come in but we desperately need another CB to go in as a starter.

it's really surprising given how good a defender SDoW was.

A better centreback would have come over to help tav and close the gap, there was so much space behind Tav and no one was coming over to help him any time he was beat. Both Kiernan and Wilson imo are nowhere near good enough for this season. 

Even when the ball was pumped long to a motherwell stiker 9/10 times it would be the striker winning that ball. I hope Hill will be a starter because surely he cant be any worse than these two. If we are going to spend a bit of money it would definitely be on a quality centreback. We can score enough goals but we can also concede a lot!

I 100% agree that we were poor at the back BUT I don't think that starting 11 is close to resembling what our starting line up will be during the season. We also will have guys coming in to midfield who have more natural defensive instincts which will help us too.

Second half I thought we were superb we passed and probed well and made good chances - definitely a vast improvement on the first got better as the game went on 

but that defence gives me the absolute fear Hill has to play ahead of one of them - Motherwell could have easily been 2/3-0 up at half time 

that fucking ref tho - the goalkeeper and the penalty handball :anguish: 

12 minutes ago, Tav's Bandage said:

Tav is going to become an enigma with the poor defensive lapses but good attacking play.

Kiernan is not good enough.. When he first came i thought i could see the potential but he is woeful and him and Tav being weak defenders costs us constantly down that side and will be badly exposed against better teams in the league. Today they just picked up from where they left off in cup final.

Wilsons too casual.

Wallace was decent but not overly impressive defensively either but a good shift as always agreed.

Surely Warburton sees now that this defence isnt working, hes an intelligent man and i hope this is maybe the little boot up the backside/evidence needed to push a good CB over the line. The general level of defending is pathetic and shambolic at times.

It's not just that it isn't working, they just don't have the ability and it will never fucking work as a consequence. A fucking blind man can see that.

3 minutes ago, WCPRANGERS1 said:

I 100% agree that we were poor at the back BUT I don't think that starting 11 is close to resembling what our starting line up will be during the season. We also will have guys coming in to midfield who have more natural defensive instincts which will help us too.

Fuck all to do with midfield. Those two are as weak as piss and just don't have the ability. The has been Stokes ripped the piss out of both of them and Tav's. Midfield have a job to do and it aint covering up for those two incompetents as no one could, they are that bad!

I don't agree obviously our style leaves our cbs man for man. Faced with that you can't dive in. Keep the shape and force the man to beat you and the keeper if they do then its to good. Best way to stop it is keeping possession and stop the sloppy mistakes.

Rangers should be able to play 2v2 at the back without doubt

Just now, Blue Avenger said:

Fuck all to do with midfield. Those two are as weak as piss and just don't have the ability. The has been Stokes ripped the piss out of both of them and Tav's. Midfield have a job to do and it aint covering up for those two incompetents as no one could, they are that bad!

I don't disagree the CBs are poor but read my full post. And CDMs do help that is part of their role.

I Amin no way defending them I don't believe that pairing is anywhere near good enough but I also believe we'll be stronger over the season.

Tav as good as he is going forward isn't solid at the back, I said to my old man today I thought early on they highlighted our right side as a weakness.