The current defence - A liability this season

Rambo1872

1 hour ago, Blue Avenger said:

How does two players without ability get better with different players around them unless the players around them are actually doing their job for them at which point your team is two men down?

Danny Wilson won the SPL with Rangers , was his job getting done for him then? Or did he play better with better players around him?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The centre backs get a hard time and at times rightfully so, but at the same time you have to step back and look at the situation they're put in from the rest of the team. Wallace bombs on, Tav bombs on, Halliday bombs on. Everyone is up around the box so when a counter does come it's usually 2+ vs Kiernan and Wilson. Any centre back pairing would have trouble with that. 

With an experienced defender like Hill at either Kiernans or Wilsons side, they should be a bit better. And with Barton in the mid they should be a bit more covered. In saying that, Kiernan can make silly mistakes and Wilson does a shit job at marking. 

Wilson was good first time around because he had Davie Weir at his side to direct him, a older more experienced centre half and a younger, faster centre half is a good pairing. Something that Hill + K/W could be. 

Clint Hill will no doubt add the experience and stability we need. I totally agree that our back four are very vulnerable when any team has a go, however, I trust MW and especially DW in getting it sorted before the transfer window shuts.

The thing is, MW loves to play attacking football at every opportunity, he encourages Wallace and Tavernier to push forward which will always leave us a bit exposed at times, I think with Barton in the side he will ensure that our midfield are continually tracking back.

20 hours ago, ThatNightInFlorence said:

I see the same issues are being spoke about that were spoke about last season.

That'll be because it was the exact same players and we have just over two weeks of training under our belt :lol:

Clint Hill will add experience to that back line and be able to talk Kiernan/Wilson through the game more. Barton/Rossiter in Halliday's role is obviously going to give us an improvement and we are still in the market for a new centre half.

I'll stick to enjoying the win tonight given how embarrassing we were the last time we were at Fir Park :) 

This is my interpretation of the situation having watched the game. 

Changes will occur as these players are brought into the team.  The reality is that we need 2 solid CBs (Hill may be one of them and possibly one other yet to be identified) to push/replace Keirnan/Wilson, because we will continue to be exploited at the back if we don't change.

But, one way or the other I'm sure we will improve.

Hopefully a good defensive midfielder will help fix that along with one or IMO two new centre defenders.    The thing that struck me was in the first half they hit us on the counter down the right, Tav was nowhere to be seen, Halliday just let the cunt run past them and what? 36/37 year old Kenny Miller ran from the half way line and hunted this guy down to the right corner box.  That for me was a disgrace and a shocker.  Great work by Miller, shocking by the rest.

20 hours ago, John Greig's Sideburns said:

Anyone think once Tavs gets confidence he becomes a decent defender?

I know what you mean, after his goal he seemed to be in less advanced positions and was playing as a rb. Perhaps once he makes a contribution by scoring or assisting he feels he can relax a bit and focus on defending the lead. But I know what you mean 

Agreed with most here- CBs are a liability and need to be no more than back-up this year.

Doubt Halliday will be employed in that role much once Barton, Rossiter and Crooks are available. To be fair he was better going forward than Holt yesterday.

Can see us playing with Barton and Rossiter sitting deep together, will give us flexibility to have one covering RB when Tav disappears and the other still sitting central. Can also see them operating like Kante and Drinkwater at Leicester last season taking turns at sitting and driving forward.

Move tav into midlfield out right. Ricksen stepped up to the mark and feel tav wpuld be better in there with a strong defender behind him. It took miller to track back to dispossess that winger.cos he left tav for dead. Move him up one and you dont need to panic about his defensive frailties ao much. 

The centre halfs are far too slow. If they watch what gough and butcher used to do . One sould sit on the forward and when the keeper etc launched the ball one woukd step back five yards, therefore being able.to read the gsme and give them more of a chance to combat any forward runs in behind the full backs. Like a sweeper but not a conventional sweeper. Play square across the back apart from when the long balls come forward. Sit too deep causes problems but anyone with a bit of pace gets behind tav and we are left exposed. The two three or five yards woyld make such a difference to the stability of the defence. 

Andy halliday takes a fair bashing on here every time the two centre backs get spoke about.

Halliday imo has been great since he signed for us, hes done a decent job at dm and in no way should he be getting pelters for some of the performances Kiernan and Wilson have put in. 

1 hour ago, deco19761 said:

Move tav into midlfield out right. Ricksen stepped up to the mark and feel tav wpuld be better in there with a strong defender behind him. It took miller to track back to dispossess that winger.cos he left tav for dead. Move him up one and you dont need to panic about his defensive frailties ao much. 

I think regardless of who plays RB we'd have the same problem , Warburton obviously likes his full backs bombing on. 

1 hour ago, Jackal said:

Andy halliday takes a fair bashing on here every time the two centre backs get spoke about.

Halliday imo has been great since he signed for us, hes done a decent job at dm and in no way should he be getting pelters for some of the performances Kiernan and Wilson have put in. 

I don't think posters consider Halliday is doing his best in an unfamiliar position he's performing quite well and he can't be blamed as you say for every mistake made by our defence.

The same way Barton in the middle is not going to make our defence any better at cross balls or outjump wee guys like McDonald.

On 16/07/2016 at 5:46 PM, KingKirk said:

I don't agree obviously our style leaves our cbs man for man. Faced with that you can't dive in. Keep the shape and force the man to beat you and the keeper if they do then its to good. Best way to stop it is keeping possession and stop the sloppy mistakes.

Rangers should be able to play 2v2 at the back without doubt

Have to agree with this, though better CB's wouldn't go wrong. Maybe we should trial some from Gibraltar.

On 16/07/2016 at 9:28 AM, folkestoneger said:

Defence will never be your strongpoint when your full backs play just in front of the wingers.

We will have to get used to it because I doubt the manager will change it anytime soon.

Hopefully a better defensive midfielder will cut out the source balls before they land behind our defence

This.  Germany play with two wing backs pushing up and always have players ready to drop back and cover.  Hopefully Barton can help fort our DM issues.  That said Ithe Wilson/Kiernan duo is always going to be an issue.   Think the question becomes which one to play alongside Hill.

50 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Halliday gets 'slated' because of his poor performances and lack of defensive cover. He's never a DM and it's clear to see, when Ball played in there we looked far more secure and I don't even rate Ball!

Hes not a dm but think hes done a decent enough job.

As for ball hes way overated! If he was even half decent he would have ousted one of kiernan and Wilson in his preferred position.