• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Vwbear said:

Bilic for Rangers 

lost 4 v Watford and 4 today v West Brom, great shout, I was out tonight with my West Ham pal he reckons that all the pundit stuff at the Euros went to Bilic's head and he took his eye off  West Ham resulting in a shit start to the season.

23 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Limited resources?

Walter spent millions in transfer fees, not to mention high wages, whilst having a far superior squad. Walter did fantastic but lets not re-write history with the limited resources garbage.

Our net transfer spend during Smith's second tenure was around £3m. Similar to Warburton's right now. 

Wages will be miles apart, but our perfomance on the park gave us extra money to spend.

From £3m Walter got us 3 league titles, multiple cups and a European final. I think that's a good return on investment.

4 minutes ago, andy500 said:

Our net transfer spend during Smith's second tenure was around £3m. Similar to Warburton's right now. 

Wages will be miles apart, but our perfomance on the park gave us extra money to spend.

From £3m Walter got us 3 league titles, multiple cups and a European final. I think that's a good return on investment.

Can you post your sums? I'm just struggling to work this out, especially if you're referring to his second tenure. 

37 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Where we going to get the funds that Walter would need to get us back? Because he spent around £10 million last time to only get us second in 07-08 and already had the likes of Ferguson at the club....

European final, last day league defeat, two cups, fucked about in regards to our schedule at the end. Surely right to have a bit of a dig at finishing second mate?

22 minutes ago, pcbear said:

lost 4 v Watford and 4 today v West Brom, great shout, I was out tonight with my West Ham pal he reckons that all the pundit stuff at the Euros went to Bilic's head and he took his eye off  West Ham resulting in a shit start to the season.

Probably will be out the door in a couple of weeks and if warbs is aswell I couldn't think of anyone better available 

IN. 

£2 Million - Jig

£2 Million - Naismith

£1 Million - Cousin

£2 Million - Whittaker 

£2 Million - Cuellar. 

£2.5 Million - Edu 

£3 Million - Davis 

£3 Million - Mendes

£3 Million - Lafferty

£3 Million - Bougherra

£2 Million - Miller

£1 Million - Velicka 

£1.5 Million - Beattie

£4 Million - Jelavic

OUT

£7 Million - Cuellar

£2 Milion - Mendes

£1 Million - Adam 

£2 Million - Thomson

£2 Million - Wilson 

That's my sums. Some are being very kind generous as well. Smith definitely needed money to succeed. That isn't a major criticism, just don't know where the £3 Million chat came from.

10 minutes ago, ben51 said:

IN. 

£2 Million - Jig

£2 Million - Naismith

£1 Million - Cousin

£2 Million - Whittaker 

£2 Million - Cuellar. 

£2.5 Million - Edu 

£3 Million - Davis 

£3 Million - Mendes

£3 Million - Lafferty

£3 Million - Bougherra

£2 Million - Miller

£1 Million - Velicka 

£1.5 Million - Beattie

£4 Million - Jelavic

OUT

£7 Million - Cuellar

£2 Milion - Mendes

£1 Million - Adam 

£2 Million - Thomson

£2 Million - Wilson 

That's my sums. Some are being very kind generous as well. Smith definitely needed money to succeed. That isn't a major criticism, just don't know where the £3 Million chat came from.

Looks like limited resources to me, Ben.

4 minutes ago, ben51 said:

IN. 

£2 Million - Jig

£2 Million - Naismith

£1 Million - Cousin

£2 Million - Whittaker 

£2 Million - Cuellar. 

£2.5 Million - Edu 

£3 Million - Davis 

£3 Million - Mendes

£3 Million - Lafferty

£3 Million - Bougherra

£2 Million - Miller

£1 Million - Velicka 

£1.5 Million - Beattie

£4 Million - Jelavic

OUT

£7 Million - Cuellar

£2 Milion - Mendes

£1 Million - Adam 

£2 Million - Thomson

£2 Million - Wilson 

Missed out Weiss loan fee in my original estimate. So it's £3.5m.

SmithNetSpend.png

For comparison, Warburton's current net spend is £3.55m - but he had no squad to start with.

I'm not saying our squad should be better than it is at £3.55m - Smith had assets that were worth a lot when he first came in. I'm just making the point that Smith had his success on a relatively limited budget.

All fees are obviously just what was widely reported, and not necessarily exactly correct.

1 minute ago, andy500 said:

SmithNetSpend.png

For comparison, Warburton's current net spend is £3.55m - but he had no squad to start with.

I'm not saying our squad should be better than it is at £3.55m - Smith had assets that were worth a lot when he first came in. I'm just making the point that Smith had his success on a relatively limited budget.

All fees are obviously just what was widely reported, and not necessarily exactly correct.

Alan Hutton? :lol: 

3 minutes ago, andy500 said:

SmithNetSpend.png

Apologies I forgot about Hutton and a few others.

I still think considering how much he got to spend on players, due to his previous squad or backing from the board. Means he needed a fair share of money to spend. 

Impossible to compare to Warburton. 

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

limited resources, you do realise he spent more on jelavic than warburton has been given on fees for hiw whole squad :lol:

walter was a cracking organiser, but he was also a chequebook manager,

This 

Folk have 2010 expectations and..... its crazy.

In 2010 our wage budget was £28m a year..... 2016 it is about £7m

Our 2010 squad cost over £25m in combined transfer fees, our 2016 squad £5m.

Warburtons made mistakes, but asking him to perform like Smiths class of 2010 with 25% of the budget is lunacy.

Our squad is not good enough or deep enough that it can beat teams without playing well. Smiths Rangers had the depth in quality that it coukd have an off day and still get the job done.

I dont really read too much into net spending as opposed to total spent on the guys in a squad. Develop 1 good youngster, or get lucky with a bosman... and sell for inflated fee. The net spend gets warped a bit. 

16 minutes ago, ben51 said:

Alan Hutton? :lol: 

Apologies I forgot about Hutton and a few others.

I still think considering how much he got to spend on players, due to his previous squad or backing from the board. Means he needed a fair share of money to spend. 

Impossible to compare to Warburton. 

Yeah I definitely agree that they're incomparable situations. 

Even if you're having to balance the books, having players worth 2, 3 and 4 million pounds in a team... It's going to be miles better than a team with one player who cost over a million.

I was more defending Smith's reign and his spending than attacking Warburton.

I for one never once questioned Walter's style of football. Okay, it wasn't the best entertainment but in the eleven full season's he managed Rangers he won the league 10 times!.... That's an incredible achievement.

If he took the Rangers job tomorrow I'd be absolutely delighted.

2 hours ago, LochendBilly said:

Are these the same people that were moaning WS was tactically naïve and was too defensive? Gies fuckin peace and leave him to enjoy his pokey hats and afternoon teas with Ethel.

Wish we had more tactically naive managers that could get us to a final of the Europa.

Our current tactically naive manager can't get us to beat the useless cunts in the SPL.

Aye we'll just keep asking the poor bastard to come back and save us until he is deid. Then we will freeze his body and he can manage us from then on. 

Half the support didn't even like him when he was winning us title after title despite being in pretty much the same situation as we are in just now. "His football is boring". 

Walter is the greatest manager this club has had since Jock Wallace, but all the fannies that moaned about his "shite fitbaw" are the same ones that will moan that we haven't beat Ross County today.

There's your good football...wallapers!

6 hours ago, King Jela said:

Tbf I always hated going to Pittodrie even during Walter's stint in charge. Outside the nappy rippers they are the one team that would play against us as if it was a Champions League final. I think Warburton should get the season at least but can't see that happening at the minute. 

Can we realisticly afford to replace Warburton?

6 hours ago, tannerall said:

You mean the Walter Smith, the master tactician of defensive unattractive football  who mentored Ally and was probably just a phone call away the whole time Ally was in charge and whose tactics and knowledge are from a different era 20-30 years ago when you could buy big, and boss games in Scotland with attitude and expensive players only, with no great attention to the technicalities and the fitness displayed by much faster and fitter, more tactically aware modern teams ?

Okay then...............

Walter who won us 3 titles in a row and the year he didn't took us to a Uefa Cup final? Wrap it with Ally stuff and using that as an excuse as to why Walter is shite. His football might have been bland but you weren't complaining at the end of the season were you?

Just for the record I'm not on the "if Walter was in charge bandwagon"