FC Copenhagen consider withdrawing from league

johanhentze

...to form a an international league with teams from Scotland, Norway, Netherlands, Belgium (....) after UEFA announced new plans for Champions League. They sound pretty serious about this. Seems a lot of clubs are pretty fucked off with the new plans. Interesting times ahead. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just don't know how an international league would work for fans. It's not reasonable to expect fans to travel abroad every other week. 

There could be longer breaks between games but then we wouldn't have enough games in a season for it to be the same

What would the format look like etc. 

For Rangers anyway, I'd rather we pushed harder to join the lower English leagues 

3 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Just don't know how an international league would work for fans. It's not reasonable to expect fans to travel abroad every other week. 

There could be longer breaks between games but then we wouldn't have enough games in a season for it to be the same

For Rangers anyway, I'd rather we pushed harder to join the lower English leagues 

If the champions league becomes a closed shop then something like this the only way teams like us will be able to keep a high profile in football. 

The English will never let us in their league as they don't need us and also they know that with the right funding us and them could easily be a force in the premiership meaning 2 less places for others 

I can see a European/Atlantic league happening before going to England 

14 minutes ago, wearethepeople1 said:

If the champions league becomes a closed shop then something like this the only way teams like us will be able to keep a high profile in football. 

The English will never let us in their league as they don't need us and also they know that with the right funding us and them could easily be a force in the premiership meaning 2 less places for others 

I can see a European/Atlantic league happening before going to England 

So is the league running alongside our regular league? I understand we'll need some form of European football but the way I read this is we'd be leaving the SPL altogether to play in a continental league. 

It would never be the same and would end up fizzling out. Away days are vital for Rangers fans, there's 7000 odd signed up for away tickets just now. But it's not reasonable to expect them to travel overseas every fortnight or so

I'd be interested to see a proposed set up 

THE Atlantic League is seemingly marching towards inevitability – with a key figure confirming talks have taken place in the face of Champions League fears.

FC Copenhagen director Anders Hørsholt revealed discussions have been on-going to set up a European league involving teams from Scotland, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, Norway and Sweden.

Clubs have acted over concerns of being frozen out of the Champions League by a Continental cartel.

Record Sport in February exclusively revealed Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell had reached out to Ajax among other outfits in an attempt to fight the proposals of Europe’s elite clubs, who are attempting to drive through an invitation-only version of the competition.

FC Copenhagen director Anders Hørsholt

Hørsholt insisted the Atlantic League will see the likes of Celtic and Rangers quit the SPFL for this new venture. It’s not yet clear if other Scottish clubs such as Aberdeen and Hearts are involved, although Danish sources believe there will be 12 to 16 teams in a league drawn from six countries.

In an interview with Danish newspaper BT, Hørsholt said: "Yes it's true. If we do not act now, we will see the biggest clubs grow larger and stronger while it will be increasingly difficult for clubs like us.

"We must therefore look at which alternative international opportunities for FC Copenhagen in the future.

Atlantic League is BACK on the table as Dutch mastermind behind idea 16 years ago reveals secret talks with English consortium

"Here it is still too early to talk about specific models, but the discussion of leagues across European borders is a theme that we look at and actively participates in."

With Europe's biggest clubs looking to squeeze out the smaller nations and the current Champions League deal set to expire in 2021, Hørsholt insists the clubs in countries that are classed as only medium-sized in European scale have to seek an alternative.

How a new Atlantic League could work: All you need to know as plans for a breakaway league resurface

He said: "We understand that the biggest clubs act as they do.

"But it also means that we must look at the market, it leaves and seek alliances with teams from other countries in the same situation.

"This is not a situation that we have created, but we have to deal with it, because we can not live with the alternative accounting. We must continue to develop as a club and be attractive to sponsors, the most skilled players and staff. Therefore, it is essential that we are at the European level."

Hørsholt also insisted the only way a new European league can work is if member clubs leave their domestic set-ups.

He added: "FC Copenhagen and other European clubs that will be part of a new European league will step out of their domestic leagues. It is still well in the future, but it may well be the result."

Talk of an Atlantic-style league including Celtic and Rangers and clubs from Scandinavia, Belgium and the Netherlands have been doing the rounds since 1999, when PSV's sporting director Frank Arnesen first mentioned it.

Earlier this month SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster again voiced fears the Champions League could become a closed shop and Hørsholt believes changes are inevitable.

He said: "The latest development is a clear step away from the idea of 'The Football Family', which would otherwise have been the foundation of both UEFA, ECA (European Club Association) and entire cooperation of Football Europe.

"In short, we have no alternative. We are a club that should help ensure that Denmark has a place in international club football. We will fight for the track in the next Champions League, but we will also fight outside while a new European football map is drawn."

Sounds like shit is getting real. 

2 hours ago, Gaz52 said:

All the games would be televised , away fans would be very minamum and every game would be a sell out.  This is the way forward, money and greedy big country's are killing football, while top clubs from small country's like ourselves really suffer and can't compete.

As for England they do not want us or need us, 

1 hour ago, Gaz52 said:

So is the league running alongside our regular league? I understand we'll need some form of European football but the way I read this is we'd be leaving the SPL altogether to play in a continental league. 

It would never be the same and would end up fizzling out. Away days are vital for Rangers fans, there's 7000 odd signed up for away tickets just now. But it's not reasonable to expect them to travel overseas every fortnight or so

I'd be interested to see a proposed set up 

Away fans being able to travel less often is a small price to pay for the overall health of the club. 

At the moment we're dying on our arse because we're locked in the Scottish League. It aint going to do anything but get worse.

If England isn't an option, then this would be a great idea. I might even choose it ahead of England. Sounds exciting. Besides, it doesn't cost that much more these days to travel to western European countries, in comparison with most of England. Maybe clubs could even become more involved to organise cheap in-out flights and transfers or something? Who knows, but I'd love it.

26 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

All the games would be televised , away fans would be very minamum and every game would be a sell out.  This is the way forward, money and greedy big country's are killing football, while top clubs from small country's like ourselves really suffer and can't compete.

As for England they do not want us or need us, 

Sell out against Copenhagen? 

Maybe for the first 2-3 years aye but after that probably revert back to the usual 40 odd thousand. 

Likewise are Copenhagen going to sell out to watch them against Aberdeen?

Just now, Prso's headband said:

Maybe for the first 2-3 years aye but after that probably revert back to the usual 40 odd thousand. 

Who said Aberdeen? Copenhagen are no mugs and would probably beat us just now.

We sell out against shit week in week out and I'm sure Copenhagen sell out there stadium also,. 

The thing is all these clubs are big clubs because of their fans base not to rights. 

2 hours ago, Gaz52 said:

Isn't that the point? Bigger demand for TV games across the continent. Not saying it would work all the same.

10 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Isn't that the point? Bigger demand for TV games across the continent. Not saying it would work all the same.

Just think the deal a league like that would get from sky and bt, Ajax, psv, ferenooyd, benfica, Porto, Sporting Lisbon us, them , Brugge , Anderlecht, Copenhagen, Rosenberg, Swedish teams etc .

This is the way forward for us 

Scottish football is fucked due to television. To have a chance to compete at any decent level we need to come up with a way of becoming attractive to TV or finding another form of revenue to make up for not having that. 

I always liked the Atlantic League, and I wish it had happened a 10 years ago. That would effectively have created a new country of 60 odd million people across 8 existing countries and the following sort of league would have been attractive for foreign TV too, I think Let's say something like this...

Atlantic Super League

League 1:

Rangers, Celtic, Ajax, Feyenoord, Anderlecht, Copenhagen, Porto, Benfica, Club Brugge, Brondby, IFK Goteborg, Malmo, Rosenborg, Sporting, PSV, Standard Liege

League 2:

Braga, AIK Stockholm, Genk, HJK Helsinki, Aberdeen, Hearts, Twente Enschede, AZ Alkmaar, Zulte Waregem, Aalborg, Utrecht, Helsingborgs, FC Haka, Viking Stavanger, Brann Bergen, Antwerp.

The bottom two teams in League 2 are relegated to their national leagues and replaced by the winners of the national leagues. The lowest ranked team from each country (unless they are one of the two bottom teams in League 2) then go into playoffs with the winners of their respective national leagues to see if they are replaced. This allows each national league to have yearly opportunities for access to the super league. If both bottom teams are from the same country, then the runner up from that national league is also promoted.

Bit complicated and requires an open mind, but something like that could be workable? Each and every club there has potential to be bigger than they are given a better platform. that League 1 especially could be great after a few years.

So above you would have Antwerp, Brann Bergen relegated and replaced from the winner of their national leagues.

FC Haka, Helsingborgs, Utrecht, Aalborg, Hearts and Braga would play off against the winners of their national leagues to see if they are replaced.

PSV and Standard Liege are relegated to League 2, whilst Braga are promoted if they beat their national league winner (or you could have them exempt because they won their league and have Sporting consigned to playing the playoff match instead) and AIK are promoted.

Yaaas.

22 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

The idea is that these teams could be sleeping giants given a platform. I think they would attract better players and would attract big crowds and TV audiences eventually. 

Defo worth a try anyway. Better than the current shite by a mile.

Just now, The Mailman said:

Don't think the Portuguese would be involved , their league does quite well with champions league places.

Who knows. Ask them. Would they want to be left behind?

Their fear would be that they would slip further down the pecking order if they didn't get involved.

Even if not involved, you could make the same two leagues with teams from northern Europe. Not as desirable in the first place, but it could get there. 

It's all about the platform. I mean, look at England. Bournemouth can be massive given a the right platform. To a lesser scale, that could happen with smaller teams in an enlarger Atlantic system.

As I say, defo worth a go.

Bring it on. Our chance to rid ourselves of the poison of Scottish football for good - albiet we would still be stuck with the fenians.

I get the argument for travelling fans. But provided the airlines don't come the cunt, you can get flights on SkyScanner from Edinburgh to Copenhagen for £40, Oslo about the same ... fans could run buses from those airports - but again it would be reliant on airlines not doing what they do when a Champions League draw is made and then adding £150-£200 onto the flight price. Prices around the £50 mark to that region, if stayed the same, every second week is more than do-able.

3 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Who knows. Ask them. Would they want to be left behind?

Their fear would be that they would slip further down the pecking order if they didn't get involved.

Even if not involved, you could make the same two leagues with teams from northern Europe. Not as desirable in the first place, but it could get there. 

It's all about the platform. I mean, look at England. Bournemouth can be massive given a the right platform. To a lesser scale, that could happen with smaller teams in an enlarger Atlantic system.

As I say, defo worth a go.

Yeah I'm all for it too , and it would be great if the likes of Porto , benfica etc got involved. But given that the Portuguese league is seen as 1 of the top 5, I couldn't see it. 

35 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

Who said Aberdeen? Copenhagen are no mugs and would probably beat us just now.

We sell out against shit week in week out and I'm sure Copenhagen sell out there stadium also,. 

The thing is all these clubs are big clubs because of their fans base not to rights. 

The article says theres a potential for Aberdeen and Hearts to join but it is unclear

1 minute ago, The Mailman said:

Yeah I'm all for it too , and it would be great if the likes of Porto , benfica etc got involved. But given that the Portuguese league is seen as 1 of the top 5, I couldn't see it. 

I can mate. It is top 5, but they'd look at it and probably bet that they'd slip below an Atlantic League in the pecking order.

Get 'em on board!