How long should Mr Warburton get?

ChrisMcb

15 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Limited resources or not, two and a half months into the season not one of the summer signings has made us any better than we were last season. Be they arseholes like Barton, washed up like Hill and Senderos, or injury prone like Rossiter, Crooks, Windass and Dodoo. 

'"injury prone" Rossiter'?- That is a bit hyped. Kranjcar made us a better than last season by his performances in the last two matches; you did watch the match against Inverness? Windass has been a good signing, and Dodoo, in my opinion, has the potential to be a good signing. Two and a half months may be unacceptable to you, but even last night the panel at the Liverpool/Manchester United where talking about players and managers finding their feet etc; but not at Rangers eh? 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

I like MW as a person but I have serious concerns about his intransigence to changing tactics.  His strict adherence to 433 has been detrimental to our performances this season.

I agree with this wholeheartedly but I really hope on Sunday it just clicks and we gub the taigs and start smashing cunts 6-0 every week.

Another thing that goes hand in hand with his refusal to change formation is the over-rotation of roles. It seems to have settled down slightly but I'm strongly of the opinion that players not getting a chance to settle with a regular start, or under-performing players getting picked ahead of players more in-form just so they don't feel left out has been detrimental.

I really hope the long term goal comes good and this 'sore' period will have been worth it. Would like to see more of Forrester and Dodoo though.

Personally, I hope the gaffer is here for the long haul. I think he's a great people person, and great in the public eye and just an all round good guy, and if he can get this team to click and play the way we know we can, then he'll also be a legend and bring home the silverware. 

In Warbs I Trust :pipe:

19 minutes ago, kdybear55 said:

I think you forget how many players have been brought in! There was virtually no preseason and as you say there has been injuries! I think the first couple of months Barton's had a detrimental effect on the team there has been an improvement since he's been suspended! There has to be some patience it's not going to be easy but give him time 

He had to get it right with the players he brought in he bought 11 players and the only two who managed to start against ict  both were over 30, it's hardly going to inspire confidence in him. He also last season shelled out 500k on Moh who can't even get on the bench, now he's spent 20k a week on Barton which is money down the drain, he's also spent 1.8 million on Garner who can't stay on his feet.

Posters are needing to base there views on Warburton on reality rather than hopes and dreams.

2 hours ago, Copland bear said:

Away you go and chase yourself , Sacked? Who would you replace him with ? How much would it cost to sack him and the back room staff? How much for a new manager? And how much would you give him? 

And nice to see your  loyalty to the man who has given his all for us  

Jobs too big for him and you are too stupid to see it.

3 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

'"injury prone" Rossiter'?- That is a bit hyped. Kranjcar made us a better than last season by his performances in the last two matches; you did watch the match against Inverness? Windass has been a good signing, and Dodoo, in my opinion, has the potential to be a good signing. Two and a half months may be unacceptable to you, but even last night the panel at the Liverpool/Manchester United where talking about players and managers finding their feet etc; but not at Rangers eh? 

Rossiter did miss a lot of games through injury at Liverpool although it doesn't seem to be a case of one injury recurring every time, so here's hoping it's just an unfortunate spell.

I didn't see the Inverness game so I can't pass judgment on Kranjcar, in that game. Let's hope he can do the same on Sunday. 

I'm not writing off Windass, Dodoo or any of the young guys. I'm saying we have seen less of a lot of players than we should have by now.

3 minutes ago, Smile said:

He had to get it right with the players he brought in he bought 11 players and the only two who managed to start against ict  both were over 30, it's hardly going to inspire confidence in him. He also last season shelled out 500k on Moh who can't even get on the bench, now he's spent 20k a week on Barton which is money down the drain, he's also spent 1.8 million on Garner who can't stay on his feet.

Posters are needing to base there views on Warburton on reality rather than hopes and dreams.

So do we pay him and all his back room team off and write off all his players just because we haven't had as smooth a start to the season as people expected or thought we would have?

There's a reason we have only had 15 managers in our history and that's because we have never  really fallen into the knee jerk reaction approach where managers are sacked at the first sign of trouble and that's not something I want to see us doing now, especially when I'm not convinced that we could get somebody who could get much more out of these players.

Unless results really do go to shit and it becomes clear we aren't finishing second then Warburton deserves the season and nothing anybody can say will change my mind on that.

2 hours ago, Virtuoso said:

I don't expect Warburton to be win the league on the limited funding he received, you can only piss with the cock you've got but the fact is that we should be sitting comfortable in 2nd place instead of dropping points to the likes of Hamilton /  Killie and even Aberdeen.

In theory, we have a team, which on paper should be producing results...but for whatever reason, there's something missing / not working. We all know what it is, but obviously Warburton isn't keen on change which is costing us.

What is it that you think is missing? 

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

So do we pay him and all his back room team off and write off all his players just because we haven't had as smooth a start to the season as people expected or thought we would have?

There's a reason we have only had 15 managers in our history and that's because we have never  really fallen into the knee jerk reaction approach where managers are sacked at the first sign of trouble and that's not something I want to see us doing now, especially when I'm not convinced that we could get somebody who could get much more out of these players.

Unless results really do go to shit and it becomes clear we aren't finishing second then Warburton deserves the season and nothing anybody can say will change my mind on that.

What's going to cost us more ? keeping him buying underperforming players or players at 500k who can't even make the bench or  let him go when we realise he's not up for the job.

I can't see why we extended his contract and spoke against it at the time, 

2 minutes ago, Wearethepeople72 said:

He should get this season and next season. Our philosophy has been totally revamped under him and we have to give it time, to not do so would be a huge mistake in my view.

This. 

Imagine if Manchester United had sacked Fergie in his first season....

42 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Limited resources or not, two and a half months into the season not one of the summer signings has made us any better than we were last season. Be they arseholes like Barton, washed up like Hill and Senderos, or injury prone like Rossiter, Crooks, Windass and Dodoo. 

I think you are being very harsh on Rossiter, Crooks, Windass and Dodoo.

Rossiter was doing very well, and then picked up and injury whilst away with the international team.

Crooks arrived following surgery, and is in the recovery process. 

Windass is a great wee player, who has had a few niggling issues that hopefully he shakes off.

And Dodoo got injured when fouled against Killie, and has since recovered and performed well whenever I've seen him. 

All add quality and energy to the team, and improve it IMO (Crooks aside, haven't seen enough to judge yet). Given the resource spent, they guys all add value.

Can't disagree on Barton or Senderos.

Gilks and Hill bring experience (and have both done well) and Kranjcar brings quality to unlock stubborn defences (something we were crying out for last year). 

5 minutes ago, 55Bear said:

This. 

Imagine if Manchester United had sacked Fergie in his first season....

Why do posters use an analogy like this not everyone's Ferguson a guy who had already lifted a European Trophy. Be realistic.

7 minutes ago, 55Bear said:

Stubbornness to change the formation.

So if we switch to 4-4-2 then all our problems go? I'm not buying it. The fundemental problem we have is lack of investment. We spend peanuts in comparison with the filth across the city. 

9 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Rossiter did miss a lot of games through injury at Liverpool although it doesn't seem to be a case of one injury recurring every time, so here's hoping it's just an unfortunate spell.

I didn't see the Inverness game so I can't pass judgment on Kranjcar, in that game. Let's hope he can do the same on Sunday. 

I'm not writing off Windass, Dodoo or any of the young guys. I'm saying we have seen less of a lot of players than we should have by now.

I take your point, but I think we have to give this a little more time. The next transfer window will be interesting; it could be we will add good to this squad- this window coming up will tell us where we are both on and off the park in terms of ambition etc.

The reluctance to change tactics/formation does get on my tits.

As i have said before, how can he ask players to adapt if he himself is unwilling to adapt to circumstances in a match by match basis.

Still think chat of him getting bagged is premature as fuck though.

2 minutes ago, Smile said:

What's going to cost us more ? keeping him buying underperforming players or players at 500k who can't even make the bench or  let him go when we realise he's not up for the job.

He's made his signings already and I can't see the money being there for him to buy anybody else in January so I doubt he will be spending any more money between now and May.

We are in a battle to finish second this season, that was always the likely scenario regardless of how caught up in pre season hype people got, so unless it becomes clear that we won't be doing that I just don't see what sacking Warburton achieves.

All it does is set us back further and create more upheaval and that's the last thing we need at the moment but I know you won't agree with that because you've pretty much had it in for Warburton since the day he walked into the club.

8 minutes ago, Smile said:

I can't see how anyone can compete with Celtic without somewhat matching them financially. The might have signed Dembele for £500K, but they are paying him £30k (ish) a week. 

The majority of Warburton's signings have been successful. Although, every manager has his fair share of duds. I think you'd struggle to find a manager who hasn't had a few. 

Ridiculous in the OP to say he should get as long as he wants.

If we don't finish second this season he should be sacked on the spot.

If we finish second and don't start next season well in that it looks like we won't challenge then I'd sack him then too.

I don't think him and Weir are the great management team the fans think if I'm honest but he's done a lot of good things too so it's a mixed bag for me.

6 minutes ago, Smile said:

Why do posters use an analogy like this not everyone's Ferguson a guy who had already lifted a European Trophy. Be realistic.

Of course not everyone is Ferguson, and I very much doubt Warburton would ever reach the heights that Ferguson has. But my point is Warburton isn't going to reach his full potential 9 games into his first season in the top flight. Everyone is entitled to they're opinion and I do understand both sides of the coin but I just feel for people to say he should go at this stage is ludicrous. He's got a lot more to offer, we just need to be a bit more patient and get behind him. If we're in the same boat at the end of the season then fair enough I might have changed my opinion by then and you can find this comment and give me the old I told you so

11 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Even if we finish 3Rd or 4th?

Yeah, I don't think it was realistic to expect us to challenge for the title this season, especially with the lack of investment and the fact that Celtic have vastly improved.

This season was always going to be about consolidating our place in the division with it being our first season back.

Well I wouldn't be happy with a 3rd or 4th place finish this season, I think he deserves another season to get it right due to the circumstances.