Colin Stein remembered

The Widow's Son

An earlier posting about Colin Stein's goalscoring record in Old Firm games made me think of his career with Rangers.  He played for two spells but as I recall, did not seem to last too long.  Perhaps I have this wrong and a more detail-oriented bear could clarify.  I think that he actually scored for Scotland at Wembley.  

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Scored four goals against Cyprus making him equal top scorer for Scotland in an international match. 

And scored in a 4-1 defeat at Wembley. (At 2 minutes in the video below, and yes, I remember watching the game on TV :)

I was at that game, and Stein scored in all home international games that year!:sherlock:

Colin was my boyhood hero.  Played for us from 68 to 72, starting off with two hat tricks and rounding of with winning the ECWC.  His career was on the decline when he joined us for his second spell in 75 but still managed to score the fantastic headed goal that secured the league for us that year (after a long wait).

2 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

An earlier posting about Colin Stein's goalscoring record in Old Firm games made me think of his career with Rangers.  He played for two spells but as I recall, did not seem to last too long.  Perhaps I have this wrong and a more detail-oriented bear could clarify.  I think that he actually scored for Scotland at Wembley.  

Please change the title. I thought this was more sad news. Nearly gave me a bloody ❤️ attack ?

1 hour ago, Ibroxholm said:

Colin was my boyhood hero.  Played for us from 68 to 72, starting off with two hat tricks and rounding of with winning the ECWC.  His career was on the decline when he joined us for his second spell in 75 but still managed to score the fantastic headed goal that secured the league for us that year (after a long wait).

Mine too. Extremely popular player with the fans.

Total legend, of course.  I was at Ibrox for one of his early games.  We hammered Clyde, and I think it was another hat-trick for Stein.  Then, in the last few minutes he was repeatedly hacked by the Clyde full-back Eddie Mulhearn, and got no protection from the referee.  Stein had his back to Mulhearn, was kicked once, kicked twice, and at the third kick he just turned round and kicked back.  Mulhearn collapsed in a heap. Stein was sent off, of course, but if ever there was justified retaliation this was it. 

1 hour ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

First game against Arbroath away, was at it, he scored a hat trick. Second game against hivees home scored a hat trick, scored 2 against Dundalk away in his third game in the Fairs cup. 8 goals in first three games !:sherlock:

Against Dundalk hit the post too so it could have been a hat trick of hat tricks.