Should Celtic FC be shut down?

Gaz52

Nonce FC closed down  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Close them down?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, cushynumber said:

your right Thermo - years and years of systematic child abuse is AT LEAST as bad as going into administration....

Infinitely worse. If it was once, then you could say they aren't really culpable as an organisation as long as they make sure it can never happen again.

As for the cover up, that's also infinitely worse.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

your right Thermo - years and years of systematic child abuse is AT LEAST as bad as going into administration....

It's 100x worse mate if in 2012 we never played again I could at least sleep easy at night known our club acted as it should and never hid anything

Yes but we all know they won't be.

One thing we can count on is yet more deflection tactics in the next week or so from the mHedia trying to cover this up.

Will put money on a negative story about Rangers suddenly being put on the front page of one of the rags soon.

29 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

I would say MUCH worse we were put through the ringer for something that was openly declared in our accounts they on the other hand made paedophilia common place in one part of Scottish football :power_of_anguish:

27 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Infinitely worse. If it was once, then you could say they aren't really culpable as an organisation as long as they make sure it can never happen again.

As for the cover up, that's also infinitely worse.

I was having a wee dig at Thermos post...

The time has come to shut down this vile organisation once and for all. Anywhere that hides and harbours a paedophile ring should be taken to task along with all the people in the media, governments and SFA who helped cover up this heinous crime. These kids deserve justice!

Not yet. I want them to be publicly exposed, vilified, shamed, crippled with fines, high profile management ex and present arrested and jailed, and then once the world knows they are the Jimmy Savile of football clubs they should be shutdown. If not then thrown in to the Third division as they will not come back from it. 

1 minute ago, ZZed said:

Not yet. I want them to be publicly exposed, vilified, shamed, crippled with fines, high profile management ex and present arrested and jailed, and then once the world knows they are the Jimmy Savile of football clubs they should be shutdown. If not then thrown in to the Third division as they will not come back from it. 

thats fine mate - just as long as we dont indulge in any point scoring.

Their PR machine will go into overdrive soon and they will come out looking like the victims and we will be the bad ones for discussing it with claims of point scoring and taking what they think is some sort of pleasure being shouted from the rooftops. It's the way of this cesspit country. They actually believe we are taking pleasure from this. The whole thing is disgusting and tragic and even more tragic that it won't be allowed to be investigated thoroughly because they will play the victim card. There will be laws written soon to ban any chants directed about this towards them.  

2 hours ago, Inigo said:

Worth discussing. Personally, I reckon title stripping, fines, relegation and jail for those involved would be a more appropriate punishment.

no mate, what needs to happen is title stripping  going back to when the abuse started, ALL TITLES, crippling fines, licence to play football revoked for a minimum of 5 years and custodial sentences for all members of the boards that covered up the abuse.  these things should be done as a minimum.

12 minutes ago, Gooseman said:

no mate, what needs to happen is title stripping  going back to when the abuse started, ALL TITLES, crippling fines, licence to play football revoked for a minimum of 5 years and custodial sentences for all members of the boards that covered up the abuse.  these things should be done as a minimum.

Don't know where you find a precedent for this or how you judge what's an appropriate punishment.

As laymen, we all seemed to look at Penn State and think at the time, 'hmm, yeah, that's how you deal with it'.

Penn State's punishment was (initially)...

The Freeh Report had far-reaching outcomes for Penn State. The NCAA used the Freeh Report in lieu of its own investigation to impose sanctions on the Penn State football program. On July 23, 2012, the NCAA imposed a $60 million fine, four-year postseason ban, scholarship reductions, and vacated all victories from 1998 to 2011.[10] These sanctions were considered to be among the most severe ever imposed on an NCAA member school. NCAA President Mark Emmert stated that the sanctions were levied "not to be just punitive, but to make sure the university establishes an athletic culture and daily mindset in which football will never again be placed ahead of education, nurturing and protecting young people."[11]

Personally, I'm a little reluctant to think about title stripping and bans/revoking of licensing because it feels a little too close to taking advantage of the situation. But seeing as at the time we all seemed to think that Penn State's punishment was an example to be held up as to how to deal with these things, then maybe we should see something similar as appropriate. So title stripping and fines, but not revoking of licensing (which would in effect be putting them out of business and would affect alot of people that don't necessarily warrant any punishment - employees, dependant companies etc)

I'd also add some kind of imposed safety measures at youth level.

In the days and weeks to come, note the difference between what should be be done, and what actually happens.  Also note the contrast between the hyped up moral outrage of 2012, on the issue of a supposed tax case, and the attempts to point the finger in 2016 at anyone who raises serious questions about the real issue of repeated covering up of child abuse. 

16 minutes ago, Inigo said:

Don't know where you find a precedent for this or how you judge what's an appropriate punishment.

As laymen, we all seemed to look at Penn State and think at the time, 'hmm, yeah, that's how you deal with it'.

Penn State's punishment was (initially)...

The Freeh Report had far-reaching outcomes for Penn State. The NCAA used the Freeh Report in lieu of its own investigation to impose sanctions on the Penn State football program. On July 23, 2012, the NCAA imposed a $60 million fine, four-year postseason ban, scholarship reductions, and vacated all victories from 1998 to 2011.[10] These sanctions were considered to be among the most severe ever imposed on an NCAA member school. NCAA President Mark Emmert stated that the sanctions were levied "not to be just punitive, but to make sure the university establishes an athletic culture and daily mindset in which football will never again be placed ahead of education, nurturing and protecting young people."[11]

Personally, I'm a little reluctant to think about title stripping and bans/revoking of licensing because it feels a little too close to taking advantage of the situation. But seeing as at the time we all seemed to think that Penn State's punishment was an example to be held up as to how to deal with these things, then maybe we should see something similar as appropriate. So title stripping and fines, but not revoking of licensing (which would in effect be putting them out of business and would affect alot of people that don't necessarily warrant any punishment - employees, dependant companies etc)

I'd also add some kind of imposed safety measures at youth level.

the title stripping is not, form my point of view at least, us taking advantage of the situation.  the club, any club for that matter, have been criminally negligent and this point cannot be forgotten.  child abuse, as we all know, is a horrific act and as far as I am concerned the punishments have to be as wide ranging as they are sever.  Make no mistake every sporting organisation in the land needs to be made fully aware that complete transparency is not only expected but demanded when dealing with children and young people. 

in this country there isn't, as far as I know, any precedents for something of this magnitude.  Speaking as a father and not as a football fan I would want any organisation that interfered with my child consigned to history.