Kris Common

As ive said before, I think this would be a great signing, he has been a good player for Derby this season but a move away is exactly what he needs I reckon!

He can score from midfield, he is naturally left sided, he would improve our starting 11 from the moment he would sign for the club... Rangers, get it done!

Wow , so it's official that were interested . We've only known this for about a month , if not longer .

I'm not holding my breath on this one . I expect us to drag our heels and for the transfer window to close with us signing no one .

As ive said before, I think this would be a great signing, he has been a good player for Derby this season but a move away is exactly what he needs I reckon!

He can score from midfield, he is naturally left sided, he would improve our starting 11 from the moment he would sign for the club... Rangers, get it done!

We will manage to find a new position for him (tu)

Wow , so it's official that were interested . We've only known this for about a month , if not longer .

I'm not holding my breath on this one . I expect us to drag our heels and for the transfer window to close with us signing no one .

Shut up.

would defo bee a good signing. Smith would then put commons on the left and naismith up front with Jela and i think that could be a great partnership. Imagine the amount of headers Jela could score with the delivery from commons :drool:

WALTER SMITH has confirmed Rangers' interest in Derby County winger Kris Commons as they seek to bolster their squad before the transfer window closes.

Light Blues chief executive Martin Bain spent this morning locked in discussions with the Midlands club as he tried to strike a deal with them for the Scotland winger.

Whether it is a loan move or a permanent one remains unclear but if Gers could bring the 27-year-old in for good it seems that's an option they would pursue.

Commons has won six caps for Craig Levein's national side and scored his first goal for them in the 3-0 friendly win over the Faroe Islands at Pittodrie in November.

Having started out at Stoke, he spent four years at Nottingham Forest until 2008 when he then moved to their big rivals County under freedom of contract.

Smith said: "He is someone we would be interested in trying to get at the present moment and we have made an inquiry.

"We are currently in talks with Derby to see exactly what the situation is with him (with regards to whether it would be a loan deal or a permanent move).

"He is in exactly the same position as Kenny Miller was in last week, where his contract expires at the end of the season.

"We've got the money from selling Kenny. I don't do the deals and Martin carries out that job but he was talking to them this morning.

"Kris can play a number of positions and that's important. We've such a small squad that when we get a player in, we look for them to do that."

While Smith is keen on Commons, he would not reveal whether or not he is attempting to bring Kris Boyd or Nacho Novo back to Ibrox.

But although he insisted he could not rule anything out, it seems any bid to capture Boyd again on loan would prove too costly.

Smith, who also stressed it is unlikely the deal which saw Andrius Velicka and Richard Foster swap clubs in August will end early, added: "It's a fairly simple one, that one.

"We couldn't afford to pay the money Middlesbrough were paying last season. We're still in the position where we can't afford to pay it now.

"There's a situation there where Kris left us for a club that could pay him more money. Whatever we're going to do in the transfer market, we'll do when it's possible.

"There has been enough speculation that I can't rule anything out just now, whoever it is about."

LATEST: Club confirms interest in Derby's Kris Commons. Smith: "We are in talks with Derby." No new injuries for Hibs match, Broadfoot out, Jelavic may start.

So will he be allowed to commute from the House of Commons or will he have to move up to Glasgow? <cr>

Surely it's not going to be a loan?

Maybe it would suit Commons to 'test the water' before leaving, and for Rangers to pay a bit of money for the loan, but not as much? And then have the chance to sign him as a bosman?

Why would it be a loan..?

I hope we're not starting another transfer saga where we offer buttons and then increase it in about a thousand embarrassing increments then walk away from the deal gutted.

There's been far too many on/off sagas over the past few seasons which ended in disappointment.

It would be nice if we just made a bid, it was accepted and the player is paraded to us fans. Just like how it used to work. (And seems to work for everyone else)