***The Official Rangers v East Fife Thread***

DEAN SHIELS makes his debut for Rangers tonight as they face Second Division side East Fife in the first round of the Scottish Communities League Cup at Ibrox.

The former Kilmarnock player replaces Kyle Hutton in the starting XI as Ally McCoist makes just one change to the team which beat Brechin 2-1 in the Ramsdens Cup.

That means there is no place in the team for any of the three men manager McCoist signed earlier today.

With that said, Fran Sandaza and Kevin Kyle are both on the bench and can be expected to feature at some stage.

Brazilian defender Emilson Cribari does not make the squad as he is still around 10 days away from full match fitness.

Gers will line up with a three-man defence of Kirk Broadfoot, Dorin Goian and captain Carlos Bocanegra playing in front of goalkeeper Neil Alexander.

Lee Wallace and Andrew Little will provide width from the flanks in midfield either side of a central trio comprised of Ian Black, Shiels and youngster Lewis Macleod.

The teenager makes his very first start in a competitive senior game at Ibrox along with Barrie McKay, who plays just behind Lee McCulloch in attack.

This is Rangers’ first meeting with their opponents from Methil since their 2007 meeting in the same competition, which the Glasgow team won 4-0 at East End Park.

Former Light Blues striker Gordon Durie is the visiting manager and he is hoping to lead his men to a first victory over his old side since the 1973/74 campaign.

RANGERS: Alexander; Broadfoot, Goian, Bocanegra; Little, Shiels, Black, Macleod, Wallace; McKay, McCulloch.

SUBS: Gallacher, Kyle, Sandaza, Hutton, Hegarty.

3 at the back is risky enough as it is, but with one of them being Broadfoot and with Goians performance last week, I can see us leaking a goal. Should be able to bag more than a few though with that midfield and strike force with 2 good strikers on the bench. I'm going for a 3-1

3 at the back is risky enough as it is, but with one of them being Broadfoot and with Goians performance last week, I can see us leaking a goal. Should be able to bag more than a few though with that midfield and strike force with 2 good strikers on the bench. I'm going for a 3-1

I thought Andy Little would be in defence as well going by how it's listen. Now I'm thinking maybe 5 at the back? <cr>:lol:

Thought Hutton done well at Brechin, really unfair on him IMO.

Just hope Ally's not going to do the Walter trick of dropping youngsters for older players/new signings for no valid reason.

Just think he is showing the importance of advancing in the cup(s). Younguns should get more opps in the league play.