Football Fans not criminals

Big Al 55

Dear Member,

On Monday 1st August 2016, James Kelly MSP is launching an attempt to repeal the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act. This initiative has cross party support and will involve a consultation process which fans and organisations like Club 1872 can feed into.

We have had an initial meeting with James Kelly MSP and would like to ask Club 1872 members if they support our organisation taking part in the attempt to repeal this piece of legislation. This would involve assisting members and Rangers supporters in general to take part in the consultation process as well as creating a submission on behalf of Club 1872.

In order to vote in the poll please login to your account on the Club 1872 website and go to Contributor Surveys in the menu there. There you will see a link to the poll and can cast your vote. 

Please take the time to vote as Club 1872 is a member led organisation and it is important you give us your views on these type of issues. It will only take a couple of minutes to cast your vote. 

Should you have any questions then please email info@club1872.co.uk. 

Thank you for your ongoing support. 

CLUB 1872

----

I'd suggest as many people as possible gets behind this, Club1872 member or not.

This bill was doomed the moment the IRA glorification and Protestant hate songs were also targeted, so it will be repealed no matter what we or the club say. Better now to concentrate and what replaces the current legislation.  The club or Club1872 needs to be at the discussion stages on any new law, so that Rangers supporters are not discriminated against under any new legislation.

Ironically, this act has probably made sectarianism worse given how angry and resentful it has made everyone feel. Cack handed law implemented by cack handed politicians who were most likely bullied/sexually abused at school and follow the 'rugger'.

There are clearly enough legislation as they are showing from the fiasco of the cup final riot. 

I have not seen any sectarian breach of the peace been brought up in any charges,unless I missed them... 

Therefore, there is clear enough legislation for breach of the peace, entering the field of play and for those facing assault charges etc. 

So this legislation was so airy fairy and lawyers, fiscals  and judges did not know what to do with it. It is not required, all it was for is to monitor statistics and pigeonhole offences into wee neat boxes. However,I can assure you that if figures continue to rise with regards to this legislation, it will demonstrate nothing. If there have been no figures from 5 years ago.. there is nothing to messure it against.. in the last two years they have increased time and time again .....with poor conviction rates and surely the sheriffs  and the law society must make a stand and say .. you know what .. let's forget about trying to put things neatly into wee boxes.  Let's get people charged with a breach of the peace and increase the fine if need be as the fine tends to be higher for sectarian or racial breach then an ordinary .

I woukd also imagine they will want in on the discussion if a private members bill is brought to the table. 

Its basically all to show that we are an inclusive nation and it can statistically shown as a benchmark and show that we are a forward looking nation amd all the other pish she spoutes

Very tricky subject as while I think we can all agree there are circumstances whereby the law etc. etc. should tackle things like racism/sectarianism/xenophobia etc. etc. the trouble with this legislation is that it's been poorly thought through. The framework is inadequate, the implementation has been patchy, the public good that it's doing is arguable at best, the definition and guidance are unclear, the offending terms/songs etc. etc. are ambiguous and subjective; the whole thing is a farce. 

With an open and fair mind I can see why a government would not want to have the possibility of a large crowd singing something like "Hang the n***er/Catholic/Jew/Protestant/Atheist from the tree"  at a football match with legal impunity, however I also take the view that merely stopping people from saying what they mean doesn't make issues like racism etc. etc. go away. Freedom of speech is something that while many of us believe we have it as a right, we do not; I therefore, would rather we worked towards that (for all the ills that come with it) than banning words and phrases that upset the controlling powers.

I think it beggars belief that children can be segregated for schooling purposes on religious grounds yet that is seen as having nothing to do with sectarianism. Targeting of specifically 2 groups of football fans in this country is not the answer to social problems seen around the globe and I think that while legislation etc. etc. shouldn't be ruled out, any implementation of it should be made having ascertained that legislation etc. etc. is clearly defined with appropriate guidance supplementing it etc. etc. What's clear is that this particular piece of legislation is riddled with problems and that while it's achieving little, people are being criminalised by it unfairly in its erratic implementation.

6 minutes ago, THE_Ibrox_Preacher said:

I think it beggars belief that children can be segregated for schooling purposes on religious grounds yet that is seen as having nothing to do with sectarianism

Janette Krankie has the brass neck to boast about being an outward looking country while supporting segregation in our schools in the 21st century. The legislation for apartheid schooling belongs in the late 19th early 20th century. Why in this day and age you would want your kids to have segregation at school baffles me,unless there are underlying reasons for such a practice. You could always teach them how to nurture a chip on your shoulder.  

Horrendous law that needs rescinded.

I wouldn't be getting Club1872 involved, remember that Rangers First before they merged? I mind the statement they put out on social media after the 2-0 game against the Tarriers at Hampden condeming the Rangers fans singing. It may or may not have been deleted after some verbals?

Don't ask them for a fucking thing.

Oh and the only reason certain people are talking about abolishing this law is because they've now realised that some Celtic fans have been made criminals too which was never part of the plan from the outset. Shameless bastards everyone.

A horrendous bit of legislation which attempted to stick a band aid on a gaping wound that affect the WHOLE of Scotland, not just one set of fans (which is where it seemed to be targeted against).

When everyone but the people who created the law believes that it's a bad law .... its a bad law !!

Wholeheartedly back c1872 stance to try and rescind this. 

1 hour ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Janette Krankie has the brass neck to boast about being an outward looking country while supporting segregation in our schools in the 21st century. The legislation for apartheid schooling belongs in the late 19th early 20th century. Why in this day and age you would want your kids to have segregation at school baffles me,unless there are underlying reasons for such a practice. You could always teach them how to nurture a chip on your shoulder.  

SHE the bitch, visited AYR not too long ago , of all the secondary schools like Belmont academy , Ayr academy , Kyle academy she chose to visit the catholic academy ,says it all the fucking bitch that she is ,and they are knocking the fucking thing down to build a new one .

IMo TBB was targeted by the flith with their faux pas offended mode and got it banned.....they are solely responsible for today's climate at the football....NOW this has came back and bit them in the arse big time and since they can't sing their wee oiaarrraah ditties they get all well..offended

Let the Fuckers stew in the shit of their own creation 

I think a lot of critiscm of this legislation is that people are saying it's interpretation is subjective. 

While I agree with this, so is a 'breach of the peace' yet over the years there has been no clamber to remove this and why is?

I have no issues with it and believe the green side of the city only want rid of it because it's bitten them on the arse so we really need to be careful what we wish for. 

Those protesting loudest seem to be the mhanks. ...simply because this act curtails their singing of oiaarrray songs and the rabid dog of their creation has turned on them.  They are that thick they thought this act would not apply as their songoing book which in their own twisted minds is " pyure politikal maan" whereas you normal straight thinking fella sees it as it is...glorification and support of a proscribed terrorist organisation 

James Kelly.....wonder what team he supports eh? 

27 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

I think a lot of critiscm of this legislation is that people are saying it's interpretation is subjective. 

While I agree with this, so is a 'breach of the peace' yet over the years there has been no clamber to remove this and why is?

I have no issues with it and believe the green side of the city only want rid of it because it's bitten them on the arse so we really need to be careful what we wish for. 

My criticism  of it is that it particularity targets a sunset of society - football fans. Not horse riders,  rugby fans or swimming fans - but football fans only. I think thats wrong and frankly unlawful. It also allows the victim to define the offense and there is no doubt that has led to a victims charter with every arsehole under the sun phoning sky and BT to say they can hear TBB in the background during a game....

13 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

My criticism  of it is that it particularity targets a sunset of society - football fans. Not horse riders,  rugby fans or swimming fans - but football fans only. I think thats wrong and frankly unlawful. It also allows the victim to define the offense and there is no doubt that has led to a victims charter with every arsehole under the sun phoning sky and BT to say they can hear TBB in the background during a game....

Sing Rangers songs....blue sea of Ibrox etc 

Will chanting about terrorists smearing themselves in shite and starving themselves to death make the team play better? 

1 minute ago, mrmojorisin said:

Sing Rangers songs....blue sea of Ibrox etc 

Will chanting about terrorists smearing themselves in shite and starving themselves to death make the team play better? 

doubt it. But i would rather not be arrested for doing it regardless.

1 hour ago, Bad Robot said:

It is biting our support on the arse far more than it is their's though. We lead the table in charges under this Act for every year of the last 4 since it was introduced http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0050/00501336.pdf pg.13.

4 minutes ago, Paisleybear1872 said:

It is biting our support on the arse far more than it is their's though. We lead the table in charges under this Act for every year of the last 4 since it was introduced http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0050/00501336.pdf pg.13.

Without a doubt

But .. if there wasn't Celtic fans getting done too do you honestly think there would be this clamour from guys called Kelly to obolish it?

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Without a doubt

But .. if there wasn't Celtic fans getting done too do you honestly think there would be this clamour from guys called Kelly to obolish it?

Aye, they have definitely been the loudest about it. Personally feel as a support we should've been more organised about it considering how many of our own fans seem to have been fucked by it.