has a Rangers manager ever survived

RFC55

Finishing a season 19 points behind the taigs? We sat before the end of the year with them that far ahead.

Murray replaced eck with le guen and then Le guen with SWS. Eck was told he was leaving iirc in the November and obviously PLG was gone after motherwell away in the December. 

I think we can all argue about funds/lack off, but is warburton seen as a long term project and that finishing second was his main objective this season? However the going for 55 renewal slogans would lead me to believe that even if second was his main objective that it was to be a serious challenge. 

It's been quite weird as under Ally when we were honking there seemed to be thread after thread to have him punted. Yesterday was our 5th loss of the season and 4th in the league. Its not disastrous stats but the draws have really cost us. But in Scotland there are two teams and generally when one struggles the other just draws away. It usually doesn't end well for the manager. But there really doesn't seem to be any real desire by board or support to have him removed.

He really is a good guy and a good ambassador but he doesn't seem to be ruthless. The 3 games after hearts we were excellent and then that ICT game and second half against ST J was criminal. I thought after the 3games we won we'd turned a corner.

I'm honestly unsure of if he can or will take us forward but I don't know there's a kinda weirdness about this whole situation imo.

There just seems no real fuss about it. 

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was saying to the guy In work this morning that Le Guen rightly got chased for a lot, lot less and by the fans too who rounded 

what makes Warburton so special ?

we are unrecognisable as a support these days - too many people don't care about our success or lack of provided they are seen to be loyal or something.

I think we are in totally different circumstances from the boards perspective anyway. 

The spend little and as long as they get European football at the end they will be happy. Which is fine to an extent. 

From my point of view it is very frustrating. I would have bought my season ticket regardless, but fans were sold a vision based on bravado and to a certain extent, complete bullshit. 

Warburtons stubborness has cost us the points, but Kings bs regarding funds tied the managers hands behind his back before a ball was kicked. 

If it was my choice, I would be looking to replace Warburton if he isn't going to be given the tools. I would prefer to have a manager that had a plan a, b, c etc. 

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Was saying to the guy In work this morning that Le Guen rightly got chased for a lot, lot less and by the fans too who rounded 

we are unrecognisable as a support these days - too many people don't care about our success or lack of provided they are seen to be loyal or something.

Aye it's no even a thread for me to have a go at him or that. I just don't understand why Ally and PLG got absolute dogs abuse yet this seems to be accepted. I know on here theres voices of discontent but there's nothing in the media, no ex players or managers moaning. It just seems a really weird situation compared to how others have been slaughtered 

Just now, Rfc52 said:

Aye it's no even a thread for me to have a go at him or that. I just don't understand why Ally and PLG got absolute dogs abuse yet this seems to be accepted. I know on here theres voices of discontent but there's nothing in the media, no ex players or managers moaning. It just seems a really weird situation compared to how others have been slaughtered 

Baffles me too must admit. 

Just now, simon said:

I think we are in totally different circumstances from the boards perspective anyway. 

The spend little and as long as they get European football at the end they will be happy. Which is fine to an extent. 

From my point of view it is very frustrating. I would have bought my season ticket regardless, but fans were sold a vision based on bravado and to a certain extent, complete bullshit. 

Warburtons stubborness has cost us the points, but Kings bs regarding funds tied the managers hands behind his back before a ball was kicked. 

If it was my choice, I would be looking to replace Warburton if he isn't going to be given the tools. I would prefer to have a manager that had a plan a, b, c etc. 

The fans were treated as fuds with whole going for 55 marketing pish.

im with you I would have replaced the manager by now.

Just now, simon said:

That's a fair post mate. However I made the point earlier as well. When he was assigned a budget he should've said right we need X y and z. I'm going to sign 3 quality players ala Smith with Jelavic. Him signing a new deal makes me believe he's actually happy with any promises/money they're making available to him 

Hate to say this buts it's going to be a lot more than 19 points behind come May, they've already got a game in hand on us and we play them at the Gary Gliiter dome in the next OF game.

It could reach far beyond an embarrassing gap come the end of the season. But to be honest we need to focus on the sheep molesters cause if we don't finish second then a horrendous season will become far worse.

Only way to change things short term is bring in a new manager who can get the best out of the players we have and scout players in our price range that can do us a turn.

Heres another question in the hope this thread has a rounded discussion - 

Has a team ever started the season taking 58pts out of 60? Did the Gazza, Laudrup team do it? Butcher, Woods team? Niven, Shearer , Caldow? Part of the gap (as much as it pains me to say it) is because theyve played out their skins and has a Celtic team in all its history had such a financial advantage over us. Yes, its still partly MW failings but the solution to all this starts at board level.

I cant believe how the last 24hrs has singled out certain players and MW and so very little focus has singled out DK 

12 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Coming up from the Championship? Last year we played in the Championship, we were not winning games there easily, and we still have the nucleus of that very average team today. I'd say Warburton is doing well with what he has.

1 minute ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Has a team ever started the season taking 58pts out of 60? Did the Gazza, Laudrup team do it? Butcher, Woods team? Niven, Shearer , Caldow? Part of the gap (as much as it pains me to say it) is because theyve played out their skins and has a Celtic team in all its history had such a financial advantage over us. Yes, its still partly MW failings but the solution to all this starts at board level.

I cant believe how the last 24hrs has singled out certain players and MW and so very little focus has singled out DK 

See I was going to add in that they've had a pretty unprecedented start. Which does take some heat off MW because we aren't even getting the chance to take advantage of a slip up from them. 

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

Coming up from the Championship? Last year we played in the Championship, we were not winning games there easily, and we still have the nucleus of that very average team today. I'd say Warburton is doing well with what he has.

Getting promoted from the Championship with our budget and resources isn't any sort of achievement- sorry but it isn't - it might seem that way because McCoin and to a lesser extent wee McCall fucked it 

what about Le Guen's success in Europe then? That's more of an achievement 

2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I'm going to counter that mate. he's identified these average players and signed them. this is him now it's his team.

Rogers has added about 4 players to Deilas shite and transformed them 

The phrase I don't like hearing from our support is "it's our first year back, second or third is good". That's bollocks if you ask me. Second is never good enough for our club. The truth is if we had recruited properly in the summer we'd be competing with this bang average celtic team. Both the board and the manager are accountable for where we are. 

I said in another thread that o can't see us taking anything from Savco this season because quite simply i think Brenda has Warburton on toast. With a potential SC game that would be six defeats to them. Six defeats and Savco winning a treble would be enough to see any Rangers manager punted never mind possibly finishing twenty plus points behind. I don't see why Warburton is any different. And if the board don't act then it confirms them to be the spineless bridge builders i already think them to be.

4 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

That's very true but I don't think people are going mental at the thought of being second to a team that's only dropped 2 points half way through the season it's the size of the gap (which is only going to get bigger) and the fact that next game Aberdeen could put us into third

6 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

That's a fair post mate. However I made the point earlier as well. When he was assigned a budget he should've said right we need X y and z. I'm going to sign 3 quality players ala Smith with Jelavic. Him signing a new deal makes me believe he's actually happy with any promises/money they're making available to him 

Yeh, totally agree with that. They made a big deal of bringing Frank Mcparland and so far we got Barton and Rossiter. 

Just now, K.A.I said:

Getting promoted from the Championship with our budget and resources isn't any sort of achievement- sorry but it isn't - it might seem that way because McCoin and to a lesser extent wee McCall fucked it 

I was a Le Guen fan, I thought he deserved a chance; in hindsight I was probably wrong, and I could be wrong about Warburton. It's takes a special type of player to play for Rangers, and those players mostly have to be bought with a bigger budget than we have. If we are going to sack him then what do we do after that?

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

I was a Le Guen fan, I thought he deserved a chance; in hindsight I was probably wrong, and I could be wrong about Warburton. It's takes a special type of player to play for Rangers, and those players mostly have to be bought with a bigger budget than we have. If we are going to sack him then what do we do after that?

Get a new manager ?

Just now, simon said:

Yeh, totally agree with that. They made a big deal of bringing Frank Mcparland and so far we got Barton and Rossiter. 

I've liked what I've seen of rossiter albeit it's been fleeting glimpses. And I think we got unlucky with Niko. He was really coming onto a game and the thought of him with all that space yesterday makes me sick as he has the quality to pick them off and play that killer pass.

we've been unlucky at times TBH I've never seen a team get so little breaks of the ball. It infuriates me :lol:

4 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I also didn't say it was an achievement, I said it as a fact. This time was not that great in the Championship, and yet most of them are still here.

We could go on about funds/signings etc all day long.

On Wed we were well on top against St Johnstone. Their manager recognised it, made a sub in first half and changed his tactics to nulify us. Nothing from Warburton just the usual like from like subs.

A blind man could see, from the 35th minute yesterday, that Sinclair was roasting Tavernier and to an extent Kiernan. Nothing from Warburton to counter this, not a tactical change or even a substitution.

i also accept that managers are loyal to players but Guys like Tav,Holt and even Wallace have all struggled at points this season but never been dropped..