has a Rangers manager ever survived

RFC55

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, K.A.I said:

What are we trying to do then? Surrender titles to Celtic and slug it out with Aberdeen for third? We are doing a good job 

Don't really get his point at all. If the taigs beat us twice and another week draw or defeat is flung in and we trail by 9 or 10 when they're on that run that they currently are then it's kinda shit because there isn't much we can do if they ain't dropping points. But we should never have the possibility of being 22 points behind at the turn of the year. 

I don't think anyone thinks we should be winning just cause we are Rangers. 

3 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

58 pts out of 60 and undefeated home and away to Man City is not bang average. That hurts but its true. 

58 points from 60 in the worst Scottish top flight in history and a freak draw at home to city and a draw at city reserves when they were already through the group. I stand by what I said, if we'd recruited properly and were getting the best out of good players we'd be competing with them. 

59 minutes ago, Beaujolais said:

MW and the team are currently achieving the prime goal as set by Dave King. You could argue they are sitting exactly where they should be in terms of Squad funding.

Actually I thought MW and the Team came out fighing hard and with self belief. Garners injury and the poor defence on the equaliser completely  changed the game. But they fought to the end. This is a side to the team that has regularly gone AWOL in recent years.

I wouldn't call being penned by our own corner flags for the last 10 minutes, while they stuck 2 in the box at corners & free kicks as they ran down the clock 'fighting to the end'.

Out on their feet more like.

Budgets can buy you skill.

You can train fitness & attitude into the less skilled.

We fell well short by that measure yesterday.

I'm stil with MW to see how he gets on with some decent money to challenge them. I know everyone seems to want rid of the management now but seriously who could we get in that's available that would change it??  Give me some names who could change this just now except no smith Mcleish mcinnes souness. 

7 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

58 pts out of 60 and undefeated home and away to Man City is not bang average. That hurts but its true. 

They aren't all that though.

If someone had told me at start of season that we'd be playing them and they'd have Lustig, Izzaguire,Broon,Mcgregor,Armstrong and Forrest in their team ( i also dont rate their centre halves) then i'd have been delighted.

They brought in a new manager, one who has been involved at top level of management,and he has made all of the above a lot better.

Just now, bluewhitevanman said:

I'm stil with MW to see how he gets on with some decent money to challenge them. I know everyone seems to want rid of the management now but seriously who could we get in that's available that would change it??  Give me some names who could change this just now except no smith Mcleish mcinnes souness. 

It's not really a thread about calling for his head mate. I'm just surprised there's no real furore over the fact we sit bar a game in hand going wrong 22 points behind them 

8 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Some of the players are tougher mentally than they were last season; I'd say most of the defence are tougher in that way. Not every player has shown he can cope with the pressures, but some have coped better than others. Unlike previous Rangers teams, there are few stalwarts who have been through this before. I watched an interview a while back and Derek Johnstone spoke about how Dave Smith spoke him through the ECW win, but he also spoke about the older players influence. Older fans always speak highly of Dave Smith, but we have few players like that here who can teach the younger ones what it is to play for the club, or talk them through important games. Most of the players are learning on their feet. It's an important aspect to this team that we are possibly ignoring too easily.

I think Hill has maybe helped Kiernan / Wilson in the respect of DS and DJ , but overall I don't think we have that mental toughness . From the first game v Hamilton , right through the season , it's taken us a while to recover from losing a goal and it just seems ages to get back into the game . 

In years gone by , we would expect a reaction when we lost a goal , even an anger if you like , I haven't really sensed that this season . 

Just now, gmcf said:

I think Hill has maybe helped Kiernan / Wilson in the respect of DS and DJ , but overall I don't think we have that mental toughness . From the first game v Hamilton , right through the season , it's taken us a while to recover from losing a goal and it just seems ages to get back into the game . 

In years gone by , we would expect a reaction when we lost a goal , even an anger if you like , I haven't really sensed that this season . 

I have to agree with that; good point..

Just now, Rfc52 said:

It's not really a thread about calling for his head mate. I'm just surprised there's no real furore over the fact we sit bar a game in hand going wrong 22 points behind them 

No I see what folk mean.  le guen had some money to spend and ally well.... less said about that the better he blew a lot. MW has had about 2.5 mil where as the tramps blew nearly double that  on 1 player. I just think he should be given say 7-8 mil for transfers then be judged it's the least he deserves and if we didn't see an improvement almost instantly then I would want rid. The thought of going back to smith Mcleish or taking on mcinnes gives me the fear they just aren't what we need. What about Alex Neil would anyone take him? Or is he a tarrier 

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

We could go on about funds/signings etc all day long.

On Wed we were well on top against St Johnstone. Their manager recognised it, made a sub in first half and changed his tactics to nulify us. Nothing from Warburton just the usual like from like subs.

A blind man could see, from the 35th minute yesterday, that Sinclair was roasting Tavernier and to an extent Kiernan. Nothing from Warburton to counter this, not a tactical change or even a substitution.

i also accept that managers are loyal to players but Guys like Tav,Holt and even Wallace have all struggled at points this season but never been dropped..

Agree mate it's his one big failing.For me the most important task for any manager on match day is to respond and adapt his system where necessary.Its become blatantly apparent MW is either unable or just to bloody stubborn to do so.I cannot recall any instance in any big game where he has done so and we have gone on to win the game.Far to often the opposite applies.We stagnate and lose any impetus we had.For this reason alone I sorely doubt his capabilities to manage a club as great as ours.

1 minute ago, bluewhitevanman said:

No I see what folk mean.  le guen had some money to spend and ally well.... less said about that the better he blew a lot. MW has had about 2.5 mil where as the tramps blew nearly double that  on 1 player. I just think he should be given say 7-8 mil for transfers then be judged it's the least he deserves and if we didn't see an improvement almost instantly then I would want rid. The thought of going back to smith Mcleish or taking on mcinnes gives me the fear they just aren't what we need. What about Alex Neil would anyone take him? Or is he a tarrier 

I think Neil is a tarrier mate. I don't know if warburton could or should be trusted with funds tbh

MW could be cut some slack when trying to compete with Celtic as we aren't near our top potential yet

However, being beat in almost the same manner in every old firm game and not progressing whilst at the same time struggling to cement 2nd, is absolutely unacceptable and it is a disgrace some of our fans think this is ok due to "circumstances"

The "circumstances" are that he has had a bigger budget than the rest of Scotland outside the scum and failed miserably

4 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

I think Neil is a tarrier mate. I don't know if warburton could or should be trusted with funds tbh

End of the day though mate funds are needed and you can only choose to trust the manager in place with them unless you have a European model with someone else dealing with all transfers 

1 hour ago, Rfc52 said:

Aye it's no even a thread for me to have a go at him or that. I just don't understand why Ally and PLG got absolute dogs abuse yet this seems to be accepted. I know on here theres voices of discontent but there's nothing in the media, no ex players or managers moaning. It just seems a really weird situation compared to how others have been slaughtered 

i think its because no matter what warburton says about the board, we all know he hasnt been backed anywhere near enough, at the time of PLG we were told money was there to spend and he just didnt spend it, coupled with him doing that fucking desert marathon thing etc instead of checking out scottish football then fans rightly thought PLG was arrogant etc

McCoist, clusterfuck of a board or not, was backed, backed way too much tbh, and still made an arse of it

As much as Warburtons stubbornness etc is infuriating and likely to be his downfall, we dont actually know what he is capable of when he has something close to what the tarriers have with regards to financial power, yeah draws are killing us, but given how bad we are so far we'll likely still finish 2nd, which given what we are spending is our limit, id say he hasnt had a proper shot at the top league yet

1 hour ago, STEPPS BOY said:

We could go on about funds/signings etc all day long.

On Wed we were well on top against St Johnstone. Their manager recognised it, made a sub in first half and changed his tactics to nulify us. Nothing from Warburton just the usual like from like subs.

A blind man could see, from the 35th minute yesterday, that Sinclair was roasting Tavernier and to an extent Kiernan. Nothing from Warburton to counter this, not a tactical change or even a substitution.

i also accept that managers are loyal to players but Guys like Tav,Holt and even Wallace have all struggled at points this season but never been dropped..

i agree about making changes, however id also argue how do you change it, our system yesterday was a 352, hodson as a wingback (if brought on) isnt anywhere near as attacking as tav is (even if he is brutal at defending), fact is we just dont have the ability in reserve to change personnel, change the system maybe but our whole squad has deficiencies and tbh any system we play will have a weak point or a flaw to be exploited

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

i agree about making changes, however id also argue how do you change it, our system yesterday was a 352, hodson as a wingback (if brought on) isnt anywhere near as attacking as tav is (even if he is brutal at defending), fact is we just dont have the ability in reserve to change personnel, change the system maybe but our whole squad has deficiencies and tbh any system we play will have a weak point or a flaw to be exploited

Great point, and I thought Garner going off early made that even more difficult. You're getting better at talking about football Jim!

2 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

But yesterday McKay terrorised them so they doubled up on him. The whole ground could see their only real danger was Sinclair and we left as is. 

Im actually disappointed with MWs ability to adapt to game situations

17 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

But yesterday McKay terrorised them so they doubled up on him. The whole ground could see their only real danger was Sinclair and we left as is. 

Im actually disappointed with MWs ability to adapt to game situations

so we double up on sinclair, that leaves armstrong, mcgregor, forrest etc free, fact is they could double up on mckay because they knew the likes of halliday etc werent a threat, but as we have seen they have more than one player who would cause us bother, i understand what you are saying mate but across the board we are behind them in every position

24 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Great point, and I thought Garner going off early made that even more difficult. You're getting better at talking about football Jim!

i actually have a clue about football mate, just at times it depresses me so fucking much i canny talk about it

so we double up on sinclair, that leaves armstrong, mcgregor, forrest etc free, fact is they could double up on mckay because they knew the likes of halliday etc werent a threat, but as we have seen they have more than one player who would cause us bother, i understand what you are saying mate but across the board we are behind them in every position

I just don't view them as a good side. But the reality is if you accept the taiga are better and we give them there 2 wins. The further 16poibts we've fell behind is criminal 

i actually have a clue about football mate, just at times it depresses me so fucking much i canny talk about it

I was joking because I would often disagree with you about football, and then fully agree with you about the board etc. Hope you have a good new year mate. All the best.

3 minutes ago, Rfc52 said:

I just don't view them as a good side. But the reality is if you accept the taiga are better and we give them there 2 wins. The further 16poibts we've fell behind is criminal 

they arent good mate, but we are a level below them, the first 30 minutes showed what can be done to them, however no one is scotland has a team capable of doing that for 90 mins, hell even if we had done that for 60mins yesterday we'd have likely scored 2 or 3 and won the game

4 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I was joking because I would often disagree with you about football, and then fully agree with you about the board etc. Hope you have a good new year mate. All the best.

we disagree but its cracking debates, we have good points, on the boardroom saga i think it wont be long before the whole fanbase agrees about the board, but i have a feeling it will be way too late

2 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

Coming up from the Championship? Last year we played in the Championship, we were not winning games there easily, and we still have the nucleus of that very average team today. I'd say Warburton is doing well with what he has.

This is what a think many can't determine .........does warburton actually believe he can achieve what's required with this group of players ? Or does he deep down know we are miles off but also knows he's not getting any funds to improve i.e that's yer lot so get on with it!........ either way it's not a great situation to be in....... imo I believe another manager possibly could get a little more out these players to at least close the gap to less than it is...... but we are still way short of the quality needed........