• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

KR93TA2.gif

Got ya covered

BBC forced to delete 'disrespectful' tweet showing off Ugo Ehiogu's Championship Manager stats

Ugo Ehiogu died after suffering a heart attack at Tottenham's training ground

Social media has been flooded with tributes to the former England international

BBC Sport was forced to delete a tweet showing Ehiogu's Championship Manager stats that drew an angry response and accusations of disrespect

By TOM BASSAM FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 11:40, 21 April 2017 | UPDATED: 14:26, 21 April 2017

The BBC was forced to delete a tweet about Ugo Ehiogu's Championship Manager stats after following accusations of disrespect.

Ehiogu died on Friday morning after suffering a heart attack at Tottenham's training ground on Thursday. Ehiogu was rushed to hospital by ambulance, but passed away in the early hours of Friday morning at the age of just 44. 

Social media was flooded with posts paying tribute to the former England international but an ill-judged post from BBC Sport was removed after receiving a strong negative reaction.

3F73A0B900000578-0-image-m-9_14927694977This tweet from the BBC Sport account was later deleted after being labelled disrespectful

3F73A13100000578-0-image-m-17_1492769578

3F73A12D00000578-0-image-m-21_1492770148

The Corporation's sport handle tweeted: 'Just look at Ugo Ehiogu's stats on Championship Manager 2... What a career the ex-Aston Villa man had', with a picture of the former defender's stats on the game and a link to their rolling Sportsday blog.

The screen grab, from Championship Manager 2, a popular football computer game, shows the defenders statistics and ratings from the 1996-97 season. 

He was rated highly for aggression, influence and strength, scoring the top mark of 20 in each of those category, while his tackling was rated at 18. 

In reality, the defender had a sterling campaign, playing every one of the Aston Villa's 38 Premier League games that season, as they finished fifth in the top-flight.  

Twitter users immediately hit back at the insensitive post and requested for it to be deleted, which the BBC did shortly after.

One Twitter user, Donald MacCuish wrote: 'Disrespectful tweet given he passed away this morning, you want to analyse his stats from a computer game?'

Another user asks: 'BBC is this you're [sic] idea of showing respect? What next, a clip of him on FIFA?' 

One user simply says: 'delete this'. 

That instruction was later followed and the BBC issued a statement to Sportsmail regarding the tweet: 'The tweet was an unfortunate error of judgement and was deleted immediately'.

Several users took screenshots of the original tweet which have been re-posted widely on Twitter.

To be honest they are trying ro portray him as a nobody. He was by all accounts a very nice guy who played at the top level in British football so to try snd diminish that fact is a bit unsavory on the day after he passed away. The fact is that someone allowed an idiot reporter to go ahead and put this up.  I think it is distasteful and not needed. Just think it's inappropriate 

1 minute ago, deco19761 said:

To be honest they are trying ro portray him as a nobody. He was by all accounts a very nice guy who played at the top level in British football so to try snd diminish that fact is a bit unsavory on the day after he passed away. The fact is that someone allowed an idiot reporter to go ahead and put this up.  I think it is distasteful and not needed. Just think it's inappropriate 

You people seriously need to wind your necks in.

8 minutes ago, deco19761 said:

Typical BBc

13 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

You people seriously need to wind your necks in.

Look all I am saying is that if a person's head actually thinks. Oh wait a minute I will screen grab stats from a game in the 90 after someone has passe away I would think that person has got s bit of a screw loose. It's not the right way to deal with things. Yes it may not be up in arms marching to the studios with banners depicting pictures of bbc executives to be hung at parliament square. 

All I am sayinfn is that there is.a time snd place for things and they are a world wide media outlet and you would think someone would have thought aBout it a bit  ...instead of loading a game and grabbing a screen shot . Jesus fuck. . 

5 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

perhaps posting a screen grab of his profile from a football game (Championship Manager) is? 

I still don't see how it is disrespectful. They're no going "look at how shite he was in Champ Man, LOL".

The unsavoury and hypocritical BBC shouldn't have posted it, the scummy arserag that is the Daily Mail shouldn't be revelling in it and the OP shouldn't be highlighting it.

Delete the whole lot please.

The guy just passed away a matter of hours ago, for fuck sake.

1 hour ago, lidorfc said:

I still don't see how it is disrespectful. They're no going "look at how shite he was in Champ Man, LOL".

It's the other way around - they're implying that he was so unimpressive in real life that the only way they could find something positive to say is to resort to the realms of fantasy, and "being good guys, they want to say something good about him". ( :pipe:  ).  It's a pretty thinly-veiled insult really.  

The choice was between tweeting that "gag" or not tweeting it.  Most right-thinking people would choose the latter option.

1 minute ago, govanblue said:

It's the other way around - they're implying that he was so unimpressive in real life that the only way they could find something positive to say is to resort to the realms of fantasy.  It's a pretty thinly-veiled insult really.  

The choice was between tweeting that "gag" or not tweeting it.  Most right-thinking people would choose the latter option I think - unless they had other agendas.

Are they implying that though, or was it just a poorly judged tweet by someone who had memories of how good he was in the game? I'd absolutely go for the latter, I don't see the malice in the tweet whatsoever.

8 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

Are they implying that though, or was it just a poorly judged tweet by someone who had memories of how good he was in the game? I'd absolutely go for the latter, I don't see the malice in the tweet whatsoever.

anyone with memories of how good he was would quote some real stats or achievements.

this is clearly saying - "in contrast to reality, as we see it, here is some [fake] evidence that he was good with which we shall praise him." - obvious sarcasm, but legally safe.

4 minutes ago, govanblue said:

anyone with memories of how good he was would quote some real stats or achievements.

this is clearly saying - "in contrast to reality, here is [fake] evidence that he was good." - obvious sarcasm, but legally safe. (plausible deniability)

I guess we shall agree to disagree, I just don't view it in that way. I don't see someone posting a picture of his stats in a game as them saying in a roundabout way that he was shite in real life or whatever.

Just now, lidorfc said:

I guess we shall agree to disagree, I just don't view it in that way. I don't see someone posting a picture of his stats in a game as them saying in a roundabout way that he was shite in real life or whatever.

you obviously don't know the bbc very well then. :p: