The cultural aspect of following Rangers

How big a part(if any) in us retaining our entire support over the last 5 years do you think this played?

Personally it's the only enjoyable thing about following Rangers these day for me, as bad as this sounds the football club and everything that goes with it is more of a chore than an enjoyment.

Before anyone tells me I'm vile in their opinion I already know. :crabflute:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Inigo said:

Made no difference to me. Rangers is a family thing for me, not a political or cultural (at least not in that sense) thing.

This. 

I am atheist, my political leanings will be determined by what the best thing for me and my family is but I don't ever see me being anything other than Unionist. 

I think the Queen is brilliant but her son is an arsehole who will pretty much be an irrelevance when he takes over as King rendering the monarchy obsolete. 

The only permanent is Rangers. 

3 hours ago, Frank Harrison said:

How big a part(if any) in us retaining our entire support over the last 5 years do you think this played?

Personally it's the only enjoyable thing about following Rangers these day for me, as bad as this sounds the football club and everything that goes with it is more of a chore than an enjoyment.

FTP FH

4 hours ago, Frank Harrison said:

I believe the only reason we ( and I mean you guys who actually attend, I'd love to have been a part of it) have retained the support in the last 5 years is as a massive GIRFUY to the rest of Scottish football supporters especially that fuckin' manky mob who tried to destroy us, they had hoped that even if they hadn't managed to effectively kill us off then at least by having us demoted to the bottom tier attendance would dwindle and it would basically have the same effect, well they got that fuckin' wrong didn't they. 

However in saying that if we hadn't gone through all the turmoil of the last 5 years and were to have found ourselves in the position we are in now the "cultural" aspect would have meant fuck all and I have no doubt that attendances would have dwindled, I remember the 80's when we were crap, you could have fired a cannon through Ibrox and not hit a thing, maybe it's different now but back then our support was indeed fickle, and if this board doesn't get things right soon then they could possibly find themselves in the same position.

I don't think you can be a real Rangers supporter unless you embrace the Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist part of it.

I find it very easy to distinguish the good guys from the bad guys as simply wanting independence means you're not one of us or if you support the national team or clean ovens for a living then us real fans have no time for you either.

Rangers wouldn't be the Club it is today if we weren't seen as a PUL Club I don't think anyone can deny that

However the Club haven't really associated themselves with PUL for years now and as you can see from threads like this we're a bit of a dying breed. So I don't think that's played any major part in us having a good support over the years.

If anything it's probably made us worse at supporting the team since some people don't want to or are scared to sing loyalist songs

But I don't think anyone goes "I cannae be arsed going today but I'm a pure proddy who loves the Queen and the UVF so I'll go" folk either go or they don't and most of the time folk who don't go simply because they can't be arsed it's nothing to do with the cultural aspect imo

4 hours ago, Inigo said:

Made no difference to me. Rangers is a family thing for me, not a political or cultural (at least not in that sense) thing.

It's sort of the same for me, although I'm a Unionist and loyalist I wasn't raised in a political or religious household. Rangers is a family thing as my Dad took me to games same as his Dad, I don't think I ever knew what the songs were about when I was really young, as far back as i can remember ive known we were a Protestant leaning Club and celtic were catholic but i wasnt until i think i was maybe 8 or 9 and I asked my Dad why so many people where Orange to Rangers games and that was the first time id heard of the OO or Ulster or any of that but its not like anyone ever said "we support Rangers cause were Protestant"

My Dad tried to raise me to make my own mind up about religion and politics but the Catholic Protestant divide was something I knew about even before I knew about the Old Firm aspect of it, it can't really be avoided in this country as there was a Catholic school right across the road from my school and nearly every 4 or 5 year old asks why some kids from their street go to a different school with a different uniform etc so everyone finds out about it at a young age

26 minutes ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

I don't think you can be a real Rangers supporter unless you embrace the Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist part of it.

I find it very easy to distinguish the good guys from the bad guys as simply wanting independence means you're not one of us or if you support the national team or clean ovens for a living then us real fans have no time for you either.

Couldn't agree more

nothing worse than a bear jumping about hampden because that wee fucking rat griffiths has scored a double

gives me the fucking boak

i grew up in a loyalist household

i played the flute in the band and was a member of both OO and ABOD so in my circle it's always been like minded bears

but all these fannies that support snp and the likes can get to fuck

A recent Scottish Social Attitudes survey found that 52% of the population said they were not religious, compared with 40% in 1999 - this is the first time since records began that fewer people in Scotland view themselves as religious than not.

Since 1970 the average attendances at home matches has increased just about year on year - it must come to a point where either all the P(UL) community in Scotland are sitting at Ibrox every other Saturday or most people no longer link religion and Rangers. This trend will continue until religion plays zero part in supporting our club- that's a given.

There's no denying it did play its part, but our future will not depend on it and in fact, may benefit from it disintegrating altogether.

that's the P part done I will deal with the U & L, later in the series

on another note:

People saying our attendances in some way were a massive GIRFUY to the SFA as a result of our demotion are talking bollocks. Our average attendance at home games for the past 15 years has always been good.

599af314ba99a_ScreenShot2017-08-21at15_44_57.thumb.png.ec060d87aa60560273c221618c04589b.png

10 minutes ago, bluenose_n1 said:

Couldn't agree more

nothing worse than a bear jumping about hampden because that wee fucking rat griffiths has scored a double

gives me the fucking boak

i grew up in a loyalist household

i played the flute in the band and was a member of both OO and ABOD so in my circle it's always been like minded bears

but all these fannies that support snp and the likes can get to fuck

This is why I don't support Scotland in football 

I've always seen international games as a nuisance that means Rangers aren't playing

When I was wee my Dad took me to my first Scotland game vs Lithuania or some country like that, I was bored out my mind wondering why no one was singing Follow Follow or any good songs, never cared about international football since

Even when it's a big game I simply can't bring myself to celebrate a goal from Griffiths or Brown or any of they rhats, just can't get any joy from it and never have so basically gave up pretending to like Scotland in football years ago and have actively supported their opponents ever since the national team was hijacked by the jacobites

I consider myself British before Scottish so Rangers is my international team :whistle:

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

A recent Scottish Social Attitudes survey found that 52% of the population said they were not religious, compared with 40% in 1999 - this is the first time since records began that fewer people in Scotland view themselves as religious than not.

Since 1970 the average attendances at home matches has increased just about year on year - it must come to a point where either all the P(UL) community in Scotland are sitting at Ibrox every other Saturday or most people no longer link religion and Rangers. This trend will continue until religion plays zero part in supporting our club- that's a given.

There's no denying it did play its part, but our future will not depend on it and in fact, may benefit from it disintegrating altogether.

that's the P part done I will deal with the U & L, later in the series

on another note:

People saying our attendances in some way were a massive GIRFUY to the SFA as a result of our demotion are talking bollocks. Our average attendance at home games for the past 15 years has always been good.

599af314ba99a_ScreenShot2017-08-21at15_44_57.thumb.png.ec060d87aa60560273c221618c04589b.png

Good post. We've always had a great support it's just in 2012 there was a feeling that we were under siege and going to the games felt like it was giving the finger to our enemies and not just going to a game. 

It was a weird shift tho, lots of fans who had followed for years chucked it and then a lot of folk came back to show their support

I hadn't been to games for a while before Feb 2012 as my Daughter had just been born, as soon as talk of admin came about I started going to every game again and started going to every away game which I hadn't done before, but at the same time I knew lifelong ST holders who said they couldn't forgive what had happened and weren't coming to games anymore

There was definitely more of a family feel in div 3 tho. Folk from our bus would all meet for hours before the bus came in the pub and would stop at places for a beer before and after games, everyone appreciated just being able to go to the football again when we all had worried we wouldn't be able to anymore