Alex MacDonald

Deanzmeanzheinz

7 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Can any older Bears share memories of his Scottish caps if any.  Outwith my cable tow at the moment.

Alex MacDonald:  1 full cap.

Tommy McLean:  No full caps as a Rangers player (6 with Kilmarnock)

Bobby Russell: No full caps.

Absolutely shocking statistics. Scotland did have some great midfielders then, but I think the above figures clearly show the hatred to Rangers by managers like MacLeod and Ormond even back then. 

Alex, Tommy and Bobby were impressing at the highest level of European football against teams like PSV Eindhoven (we were the first team to beat them at their home park) and Juventus, and would have walked in to many of the top teams in England or Europe. 

The bookies used to be more generous with prices for scoring the first goal.

I remember asking my Dad to put a bet on Doddie to score the first goal in one of those games after seeing the price list in the Daily Record on the morning of the game. IIRC he was at 40/1 but it might have been 20 (long time ago).

Doddie duly obliged with a diving header but I'm not a 100% sure if my Dad put the bet on or not now, probably not :thinking: 

38 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Alex MacDonald:  1 full cap.

Tommy McLean:  No full caps as a Rangers player (6 with Kilmarnock)

Bobby Russell: No full caps.

Absolutely shocking statistics. Scotland did have some great midfielders then, but I think the above figures clearly show the hatred to Rangers by managers like MacLeod and Ormond even back then. 

Alex, Tommy and Bobby were impressing at the highest level of European football against teams like PSV Eindhoven (we were the first team to beat them at their home park) and Juventus, and would have walked in to many of the top teams in England or Europe. 

Same can be said of bomber Brown, 207 appearances with Rangers most coming through the nine in a row era, also very close to reaching a champions league final and never selected for Scotland, unbelievable! 

4 minutes ago, the old guard said:

Same can be said of bomber Brown, 207 appearances with Rangers most coming through the nine in a row era, also very close to reaching a champions league final and never selected for Scotland, unbelievable! 

Could also make a case for David Robertson at LB throughout most of the 90's, Craig brown hardly ever picked him but would always select McNamara and McKinlay despite not being regular starters

2 hours ago, tannerall said:

I was always Alex MacDonald or Johan Neeskens. I believe Alex was the better of the two.

Was amazing how many of the above goals were headers for such a wee guy. 

Our team is still crying out for an all round midfielder like Alex. 

I used to love his energy - you’re spot on about how we could do with one like him now.

1 hour ago, hammer time said:

Could also make a case for David Robertson at LB throughout most of the 90's, Craig brown hardly ever picked him but would always select McNamara and McKinlay despite not being regular starters

Didn’t Robbo say he wasn’t prepared to get dragged around just to warm the bench?

3 hours ago, Tenerife Bear said:

How does that happen? I've also heard Bobby Russells son is a celtic fan and Sandy Jardines son is a Hibs fan. I could never ever imagine my sons or grand kids supporting anyone else bar Rangers. 

Think it was because Alex was hearts manager as he grew up. He was always around the club and played for the boys teams too. Not as if Alex could take him to watch Rangers every week like my Dad did.

2 hours ago, hammer time said:

I remember david robertson told Brown to ram it, when he was picked for a squad he always seemed to be the guy who never even got on the bench. 

Great man. Met him at hospitality and he spent a lot of time telling us old stories and making everyone feel welcome. IMO he did a much better job at hospitality than many of the younger players, a credit to the Club and good to see him getting recognition he deserves

A Rangers legend who scored several vital goals for us during his career.  Signed around the same time as Colin Stein but lived in his shadow for a long time.  If my memory serves me correctly, it took the best part of 18months to two years for him to fully establish himself in the first team.  Another example that we should not write of players when they not hit the ground running when they initially join us.

11 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Fittest player at Ibrox in his day, never gave less than 110% and scored a few important goals with his head.  

Capped once for Scotland and once for the Scottish League X1 

280978-rangers-v-juventus-alex-macdonald

This was the 3rd game I went to as a boy and my 1st taste of European night's at Ibrox..can still remember my Grandad telling me how many International players that Juve had playing..I thought it was always going to be so easy..

As regards Doddie he is indeed a quality bloke who gave his all for his local Football team..

Kinning Park blue nose as a kid.
Spoke to Alex last year and his stories are hilarious.
His Granny told him not to come home if they got beat by the tinkers.
He has enough grand kids to fill a mini bus and they all call him "jam jar" as the very first one couldn't pronounce "grampa" and the name stuck.
Wish we had his likes again.

3 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Kinning Park blue nose as a kid.
Spoke to Alex last year and his stories are hilarious.
His Granny told him not to come home if they got beat by the tinkers.
He has enough grand kids to fill a mini bus and they all call him "jam jar" as the very first one couldn't pronounce "grampa" and the name stuck.
Wish we had his likes again.

I read some of his stories and they are hilarious; I liked when he told the story about the time he had a Harley D- he seems a really good guy. I think it must have been truly great to see that Jock Wallace team on a regular basis back in the day; has that team been given the credit it deserves for two trebles in three seasons, or Jock Wallce for that matter? As the OP says, the goals he scored were big time, and proves AM was a big time player. 

Don't know if it was a Wallace or a Waddell plan, but I'm sure that Doddie was sent on to hassle Franz Beckenbauer as he was their playmaker - almost like an NFL Q/back. He was in snapping around his ankles all of the game at Ibrox.  

I have a sweet memory of the 'kaiser' hoofing it into the main stand in the semi at Ibrox as Alex snapped around him, giving him no time to spread the play. Great wee player. 

2 years late half that Bayern team were in the team that won the World Cup in Germany - how good were we then?

58 minutes ago, tyabb bear said:

I am originally from Kirkintilloch and a member of the supporters club ( and my auld man is a friend of his) so I seen him around quite a lot.

Yeh, that picture i put in my OP is on the wall of the Kirky Club. Actually it's fuckin huge.