Players we nearly signed...

BEE

2 hours ago, Perth_Campsie_Ger said:

Gert Jan Goudswaard, remember him Rangers fans?

Probably not.

The Dutchman was a club doctor at Gers for four years after being brought in by ex-boss Dick Advocaat.

And after scuppering the transfer of a Spanish star to Ibrox, he now has a ROCKnamed after him in Espanyol!

The Light Blues agreed a bumper £11million move to sign Raul Tamudo from the La Liga side 16 years ago after Michael Mols was ruled out with a long-term injury.

Tamudo told how he was ready to sign for Rangers against his will and said: “They told me: you go, or your teammates aren’t getting paid.”

After thrashing out terms with Gers, all that was left was for him to undergo a medical in Glasgow.

But after two hours in a MRI machine, Dr Jan Goudswaard advised AGAINST the move.

The striker then returned to Spain before becoming an Espanyol legend – netting 129 goals in 340 appearances.

And now, Dr Jan Goudswaard has a Spanish fan club called ‘Doctor Gert, Diga 23’ as a thank you over the collapsed Gers move.

In the end, Rangers broke the Scottish transfer record for another striker.

That would be the same doctor that said hartson wasn't  fit. I'm surprised the taigs don't  have supporters club named after him as well. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, SheriffHood said:

Pretty sure Ginola was close before he went to Newcastle. I think we went for Stuart Pearce as well at one point, don't know if that was ever likely though

That was the tims that nearly signed him, was almost a done deal until Newcastle came in for him and if my memory is good I'm pretty certain he used his mrs as an excuse, said she didn't fancy the Glasgow weather, Newcastle being a tropical nirvana

Florin Răducioiu was the one we were after all summer in 1995, seemed to go on forever, no idea why it never went through but we ended up going for Salenko instead.

Kevin Phillips is another one in 2003, Sunderland wanted £4m for him, we apparently wouldn't go above £2m

Read a recent interview with Stuart Pearce where he confirmed we spoke to Nottingham Forest but Brian Clough said no . Pearce was told about it a couple of months afterwards and said that while he would have jumped at the chance to come to us , You never questioned a Clough decision . Said he was disappointed when Clough packed it in shortly after though .

7 hours ago, Paulie Walnuts said:

Was the story not that we wanted Messi on loan, Barca said you can have Iniesta and we said no? 

Apparently the Barca fans were against Iniesta leaving them to go on loan. Can't blame them after the career he's had.

53 minutes ago, NixonRFC said:

That was the tims that nearly signed him, was almost a done deal until Newcastle came in for him and if my memory is good I'm pretty certain he used his mrs as an excuse, said she didn't fancy the Glasgow weather, Newcastle being a tropical nirvana

Florin Răducioiu was the one we were after all summer in 1995, seemed to go on forever, no idea why it never went through but we ended up going for Salenko instead.

Kevin Phillips is another one in 2003, Sunderland wanted £4m for him, we apparently wouldn't go above £2m

Maybe getting mixed up then mate, I was positive it was us

3 hours ago, NixonRFC said:

Did Phillips not want 40k a week as well?

2 hours ago, moody blue 1972 said:

Not sure if been said but believe we were linked with Darko Pančev at one time

Probably after our game with Red Star. 

We tended to be linked with players that had butt fucked us shortly before.