RIP Ray Wilkins

BryceRFC1

Watching tv last night and they showed Ray's goal against the filth when we fucked them 5-1,   We were hounered to have such a talent at Ibrox even thou it was late in his career.   He still had it and they way people say he drank it makes it even more remarkable. Such a talented player who very rarely gave the ball away and his legs had gone a bit when he came to us but that was not a problem as he let the ball do the work and oozed class. 

Some of our younger fans do not have a clue how we were spoiled after 9 years of misery and the Souness revolution under David Holmes,  We saw some fantastic footballers at Ibrox Laudrup later 8 years on from  then and he was the one for me, But we have had some quality players since 1986 and we must not settle for 2nd best now  

Winning the league up at pottodrie under Souness in his first season is up there with the 9 in a row and helicopter Sunday,  my first experience if winning it and not coming 2nd like in 79 then 4th for a good few seasons after that.   but if we can stop them doing 9 then 55 will top the lot.   

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Smile said:

Nigel Quashie has paid an emotional tribute to Rangers legend Ray Wilkins after the 61-year-old died earlier today.

Wilkins was the former Scotland star's manager as he broke through at QPR and gave him his first team debut and the midfielder told the story of his debut which tugs on the heartstrings and epitomises the class act Wilkins was.

Quashie was just a 17-year-old when he made his QPR debut away to Manchester United and his story of the debut is a heartwarming one.

In an Instagram post he said: "I will always be proud to say how lucky I am to have been coached, managed and even meet you. If it wasn't for you I would never have started my career playing football and will never forget going to Manchester United as a YTS trainee to do all the kit and boots in the changing room for the first team squad

"1 hr 30 mins before kick off you name the team and I was in it, I didn't even get to think about it because all you said was you're number 18, here are your boots and shin pads, just go and play, have fun and treat it like you're over the park with your mates.

"My mum never had a mobile phone back then because we couldn't afford anything like that and everything went through her work or home phone. I asked you after the game if I could call home to speak to her, you said use my mobile and call this number, it was my mum on the other end of the line and she said she was outside by the away team bus.

"I went outside to see her and asked how did you get here because I knew she couldn't afford it. She told me Ray had got the club to pay for her train ticket to come to the game and then Ray got the club to give us our first mobile phone in life durin gthe week and he wanted to surprise me knowing I was making my debut. I was given a chance by Ray Wilkins, one of the legends of the game and to this day you are the first person I mention when it comes to football and that will never change.

"You will be missed so much not just in the football world but as a real human being with such class. Thanks for everything and my thoughts go to all the family. Sleep well Sir Ray Wilkins."

The things we're just finding out about Butch is incredible,this story is just beautiful,so many good things he's done for young guys coming into the game yet kept things quiet is a mark of the man,the more we hear the more we realize what we've lost 

2 minutes ago, heathen fish boy said:

The things we're just finding out about Butch is incredible,this story is just beautiful,so many good things he's done for young guys coming into the game yet kept things quiet is a mark of the man,the more we hear the more we realize what we've lost 

I always loved they way he spoke, so polite with his southern accent,  We were in Rays heart, we were his Scottish team, we were the team he wanted to see in the champs league every year just like Souness.

Footballers nowadays are pampered and players like Ray Wilkins are sadly long gone and it's ruining football as it's all money money money now.  

8 minutes ago, BRITNEY IS NOT FEELING IT said:

Reminiscing about  Ray  on Jim White Talksport just now , really good listening , mind you with Ray being such a pro and more importantly a true gent , nothing would surprise you about the glowing way at which people are talking about Ray . :bow:

Did you hear the ex soldier that was homeless on there , left me fighting tears , what a man 

Usually when a top player dies they talk about his ability first and foremost then add on how he was also a great guy, in Ray's case you could almost forget he was a top footballer such are the heartfelt tributes about him as a person . 

1 minute ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

I trust the Club will be honouring Ray with a 2 mins applause or silence before tomorrow's game with Dundee???

Has to be, would be disgusted if we didn’t.

Never got to see him play but he was clearly a massive talent and from what people who have encountered him outside of football have said was a real gent. RIP Ray.

1 minute ago, Bristol loyal said:

Has to be, would be disgusted if we didn’t.

Never got to see him play but he was clearly a massive talent and from what people who have encountered him outside of football have said was a real gent. RIP Ray.

As you say mate. Has to be eh.

3 minutes ago, cr3_bear said:

Anyone know if the gates will have the usual laying of scarfs and shirts tomorrow ?

I walked past the other day and there was already the beginnings of it. Plenty of scarves up and such like on the Copland end gate.

43 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

I trust the Club will be honouring Ray with a 2 mins applause or silence before tomorrow's game with Dundee???

Apparently a minute silence before the game starts for Ray then a minutes applause in the first minute of the second half for Stuart Pedley 

3 minutes ago, jintybear said:

Apparently a minute silence before the game starts then a minutes applause in the first minute of the second half for Stuart Pedley 

I have had a look on the website but I cannot see anything about what is planned for tomorrow Jinty. I have said a couple of times in the other thread that I cannot see why we would have a minutes silence for Ray and not for Stuart, they have both served our Club in different ways but both equal in this circumstances IMO.

Surely it would have been easy for the people running our Club to put this up on the website and other social media so that we all know what IS planned. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

Just saw that his memorial service was today. Does anyone know if there was representation from Rangers there?

I would really like to think so mate. Hopefully we can get some confirmation on this.

Archived