Scotland 78: A Love Story

I watched this on the i-player last week and the over riding emotion was pain. Remembered my wee Grandad shedding tears of frustration and hurt after the Iran game and since that night I have never bothered my arse with the Scottish national football team.

8 minutes ago, TEFTONG said:

I watched this on the i-player last week and the over riding emotion was pain. Remembered my wee Grandad shedding tears of frustration and hurt after the Iran game and since that night I have never bothered my arse with the Scottish national football team.

Peru and Iran, had never heard of them, Holland, at 8 years old, if you liked football, you liked them ??

Just now, 2nd Flute said:

You weren't on the march with Allys army, ???

Only the home games in the qualifying group, at the time we all supported the national team.

But Ally McLeod raised expectations to a ridiculous level, and the nation felt we only had to turn up to win it. 

3 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Only the home games in the qualifying group, at the time we all supported the national team.

But Ally McLeod raised expectations to a ridiculous level, and the nation felt we only had to turn up to win it. 

Victory parade around Hampden before they went

4 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Yeh, the very thing we hate about England, at least we learned our lesson, they never, tbh, I think the English have been pretty low key, I'll be supporting them anyway, I know it's rivalry and shite, but how  anyone can want teams like Germany and those greasy,dug eating argentinians to beat England, is way beyond me.

3 minutes ago, 2nd Flute said:

Yeh, the very thing we hate about England, at least we learned our lesson, they never, tbh, I think the English have been pretty low key, I'll be supporting them anyway, I know it's rivalry and shite, but how  anyone can want teams like Germany and those greasy,dug eating argentinians to beat England, is way beyond me.

My thoughts exactly.

2 hours ago, 2nd Flute said:

Peru and Iran, had never heard of them, Holland, at 8 years old, if you liked football, you liked them ??

Robbie Rensenbrink and Johnny Rep. Names I'll never forget due to that tournament.

When the games were over, I was out in the street being those guys.

No idea where they played their club football, and dont think I ever heard of them again, but that team played some great fitbaw. :thumbup:

18 minutes ago, BloodRunsBlue said:

Robbie Rensenbrink and Johnny Rep. Names I'll never forget due to that tournament.

No idea where they played their club football, and dont think I ever heard of them again, but that team played some great fitbaw. :thumbup:

Scotland actually played the better football in that game against Holland who tried to kick them off the park

20 minutes ago, BloodRunsBlue said:

Me too mate, Johny Rep sticks in my mind, and the ball? a world cup ball ?

11 hours ago, williamcarvel9 said:

Just watched the documentary there. I was born in 88 so didn't realise how good a squad it was. But scum press trying to destroy careers and lives back then too, didn't realise how bad Johnston got it either

Macari was the wee press bitch.  Even in the documentary he stuck the wee man right in it.  

I just about remember '74 but '78 will probably always be my favourite World Cup.  

21 minutes ago, Moody Blue Legend said:

Macari was the wee press bitch.  Even in the documentary he stuck the wee man right in it.  

I just about remember '74 but '78 will probably always be my favourite World Cup.  

Spain 82 for me but 78 was brilliant ...the teams atmosphere and even the kits. I remember staying up late with my dad to watch the games ...the Argentina v Peru game sticks out.

44 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

Scotland actually played the better football in that game against Holland who tried to kick them off the park

We probably did mate. I remember it well.

At 3-1 we needed one more goal, but it all ended in typical glorious failure when Rep scored from 30 yards.

I doubt Scotland has played that well since.  :lol:

The planning and preparation that Ally and the sfa put into that tournament was a fucking disgrace . That Scotland squad was capable of a lot more (same as the '74 & 82 teams ) but let down by poor management , Ormond and McLeod picked a side and then expected the players to work things out for themselves while the Man who Knew was the opposite and stifled flair players in order to adhere to a system that was designed to get us through the tournament without tarnishing BJK's " legend " .  That was probably the last time that Scotland sent a team to a World Cup looking to do more than just take part . 

I enjoyed the programme though , even if it told us nothing new . Loved seeing the old boy buying his butcher meat with the fag hanging out his mouth :lol: changed days indeed !

8 minutes ago, Fred H Crawford said:

The planning and preparation that Ally and the sfa put into that tournament was a fucking disgrace . That Scotland squad was capable of a lot more (same as the '74 & 82 teams ) but let down by poor management , Ormond and McLeod picked a side and then expected the players to work things out for themselves while the Man who Knew was the opposite and stifled flair players in order to adhere to a system that was designed to get us through the tournament without tarnishing BJK's " legend " .  That was probably the last time that Scotland sent a team to a World Cup looking to do more than just take part . 

I enjoyed the programme though , even if it told us nothing new . Loved seeing the old boy buying his butcher meat with the fag hanging out his mouth :lol: changed days indeed !

If I remember correctly Souness was not picked for the opening game

3 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

If I remember correctly Souness was not picked for the opening game

In Argentina , he only played in the game against the Dutch . Spain '82 , I'm think he captained the side . To be fair to McLeod , Rioch & Masson had done well in the qualifiers but by the Home Internationals it's fair to say they were struggling to achieve that previous form , and Souness , Gemmill and Hartford all had decent claims to be first choice for the tournament proper but Ally was loyal to a fault when it came to certain players , His choice of putting his old Aberdeen player Joe Harper before DJ, who had just scored 38 goals in a treble winning side , sums that up .

6 minutes ago, Loyaleastend said:

“I’ve never been dropped in my life “ was his famous reaction 

Was that not in response to SAF leaving him out of the Uruguay game in Mexico 86 ?