Tactics

BlueMe

35 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I can see what the Gerrard plan was. Sit back contain and reserve the energy after playing with 9 men and travelling back from Russia. Then later in the game go for it and catch them. That's why you seen the step up after the goal and 60 mins. 

If we played the high intensity pressing game our squad would have been done early on and be wide open to taig attacks. 

The gaffer would have wanted to do things differently I'm sure but circumstance dicataited otherwise. 

How do you sit back for a hour when the other team are dominating possesion and we're chasing them?

Just now, sandyinroyalblue said:

How do you sit back for a hour when the other team are dominating possesion and we're chasing them?

What exactly would you have done diffrently? 

Better Rangers teams have gone to parkhead and been battered in position. Smith's team used to do it all the time. 

The energy levels weren't there to go and press them right up the pitch like people wanted. We'd be depleted quickly and be wide open to counter attacks.

9 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

What exactly would you have done diffrently? 

Better Rangers teams have gone to parkhead and been battered in position. Smith's team used to do it all the time. 

The energy levels weren't there to go and press them right up the pitch like people wanted. We'd be depleted quickly and be wide open to counter attacks.

My point is if energy levels aren't there how does it help fatigued players to be chasing the other team with no break?

40 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

My point is if energy levels aren't there how does it help fatigued players to be chasing the other team with no break?

Clearly Gerrards plan didn't work. I'll admit that but I understand the approach he took was due to fatigue from Thursday. If we went gun ho and pushed up the pitch we'd be drained quicker and more open to counter attacks. 

I would have looked to hold onto the ball better and frustrate the taigs. But our midfield was unable to do that keeping the pressure on us and causing us to chase deep like you said.

We really missed coulibaly today. 

What would you have looked to do differently today?

17 hours ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

Possession doesn’t win games. All the best teams in the world allow their opponents to have the ball. The key is to let them have it in ineffective areas.

SG should pin this up on the dressing room wall. Souness on tactics !

When you write about your time at Liverpool, you said the talk of tactics was very limited. It was all about having good players and letting them take responsility. So do you think tactics are overrated?

"One hundred per cent. And any football person would tell you exactly the same. There’s an obligation for any manager or coach to be talking with the latest jargon and terminology to make them appear to know more than they do. Football has not changed. It never will change. All formations have been tried before. All systems have been tried before. It’s all about the players. It always has been and it always will be. If players cannot see what’s going on in a game and adapt then they are no good and they will not win anything. Good teams are those that can adapt, that have players who see it on the pitch at the same time that the coach sees it on the touchline. You get a sense when you’re a player of where the game’s going and you work your way around that".

Just now, backup said:

SG should pin this up on the dressing room wall. Souness on tactics !

When you write about your time at Liverpool, you said the talk of tactics was very limited. It was all about having good players and letting them take responsility. So do you think tactics are overrated?

"One hundred per cent. And any football person would tell you exactly the same. There’s an obligation for any manager or coach to be talking with the latest jargon and terminology to make them appear to know more than they do. Football has not changed. It never will change. All formations have been tried before. All systems have been tried before. It’s all about the players. It always has been and it always will be. If players cannot see what’s going on in a game and adapt then they are no good and they will not win anything. Good teams are those that can adapt, that have players who see it on the pitch at the same time that the coach sees it on the touchline. You get a sense when you’re a player of where the game’s going and you work your way around that".

And this is why Souness isn't a manager anymore.

1 minute ago, TheKingObv said:

Really, you will forgive me if I disagree with your assessment considering his medical problem, hardly trivial.

Also I would accept Souness's opinion over yours without hesitation.

7 minutes ago, TheKingObv said:

3 minutes ago, backup said:

Really, you will forgive me if I disagree with your assessment considering his medical problem, hardly trivial.

Also I would accept Souness's opinion over yours without hesitation.

Both are correct to an extent tactics are a massive part of the game but 9/10 the better team with better players will win because they can attack better lol