Tactics

BlueMe

1 minute ago, simplythebest said:

That's the kind of line we could have applied during the last couple of seasons, Murty managed two draws there after all and we all know how that turned out

We can only see how we react now

Any manager would have used the same tactics as Gerrard did today i think, and on another day, they might have worked.

The season isn't over by a long way, we still have players to come back and we still have to get used to each other as a team. That was pretty much a full strength celtic, playing to a full house at home, and it was 1 nil.

There's still a lot more to come from us i think.

1 hour ago, Brackley Bluenose said:

That’s a really good point you make about Walter but yes had more quality in our forward areas at that time and I don’t think he was ever quite as defensive as we were today. 

Yes believe me he was. However he had  Laudrup or Durie  or Naismith  or Jelavic to hit on the counter.missing Murphy today was a big loss to playing on the counter  too.   But the biggest factor today was the travel we had to do prior to this game  this physically drained the players. also we had nothing on the bench at all !  in the coming weeks we will have  Coulibaly back (big miss today)  the Albanian winger will be starting games  Dorans and Rossiter will be options from the bench too   And also our coaching staff we actually get time on the training ground to get the players into the shape and tactics  they want. We have had very limited time on the training pitch due to games and travel. 

I cannot understand why we would try to contain them at all, it's letting them play. 

The taigs are at their best when people sit off them for 90 mins and let's the play, their good at it, which is why I don't understand why we haven't Clocked on to it since the of last year. 

Thought we had turned a corner when we pressed high in the 2-3 game at Ibrox, but as soon as we scored we would sat back and let the have the ball, inviting pressure. 

I love Gerrard, and want him here for years, but he was up at Ibrox for that game and should be able to see what everyone at Ibrox seen that day. 

Why when we have been performing well with pretty much a 4-5-1 in Europe, are we switching shit about? 

I thought starting Kent, Ejaria lafferty and Morelos would leave us light against them in the midfield area and it did. For me Candeais should have started instead of Kent.

Get the reasoning he's went with Kent, but we were then so poor we never really gave him the chance to push their full backs back. Result was he and the team were too far back.

Add to this that Morelos spent the game slipping and neither he nor lafferty were winning and holding balls up, so it became wave after wave.

Improved 2nd half, but nowhere near good enough.Passing, crossing, interplay all really poor.

All of this contributed more than tactics imo.

2 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

McCrorie or Halliday, simple

Now what's the tactics behind it? What would McCrorie or Halliday have given us that Ejaria couldn't/wasn't? Fresh legs maybe but not anything that would change the game.

11 minutes ago, JM1872 said:

Now what's the tactics behind it? What would McCrorie or Halliday have given us that Ejaria couldn't/wasn't? Fresh legs maybe but not anything that would change the game.

Ejaria was giving us very little and was not having a good day. He ‘gave’ the ball to them several times, something Halliday and McCrorie rarely do. So that alone would have been advantageous.

The biggest problem for me was how deep we were with 11 men behind the ball at times. We know they want to press us high up so we can’t pass the ball out of defence so our only option was to play it long and it went straight to them to start another attack every bloody time.

3 hours ago, Ibroxholm said:

Many a time I saw Walter play equally defensive at their midden, that’s where Andy Goram Came into his own.  However, we had players upfront who could hurt them on the break.

Goal came at a bad time because thought we were starting to get some kind of foothold in the game at that point and they were running out of ideas.  

It's not the same. Walters team maybe sat deep but they certainly didn't stand and admire celtic the way we've now got into a habit of doing. Yes we were defensive at times but I distinctly remember guys like Gough, McCall, Ferguson, etc more than match them physically. 

Gerrard was supposed to want a team of men. I didn't see any men out there today, I saw, yet another, Rangers team of little boys get smacked about by an average celtic team. 

Gerrard should be embarrassed at how he approached that. He made a rip-roaring cunt of it. 

His comments after the game deeply concerning. Chat of being pleased about going in drawing, etc. It's not the fucking creepy Merseyside derby. 

7 minutes ago, gsa said:

It's not the same. Walters team maybe sat deep but they certainly didn't stand and admire celtic the way we've now got into a habit of doing. Yes we were defensive at times but I distinctly remember guys like Gough, McCall, Ferguson, etc more than match them physically. 

Gerrard was supposed to want a team of men. I didn't see any men out there today, I saw, yet another, Rangers team of little boys get smacked about by an average celtic team. 

Gerrard should be embarrassed at how he approached that. He made a rip-roaring cunt of it. 

His comments after the game deeply concerning. Chat of being pleased about going in drawing, etc. It's not the fucking creepy Merseyside derby. 

Cant disagree.

Once again we looked like wer boys against taigs.

Men against European teams 

4 hours ago, BlueMe said:

Poor performance, but i can totally understand why we chose to try and contain them and hit on the break. We simply wouldn't have the energy to play a high pressing game, we were never going to go into this game chasing everything down with constant pressure 3 days after travelling half way around the world and playing a game with 9 men. 

Poor performance, but a bit of realism is required here i think. This team's been playing together weeks and still gelling, getting into the groups has possibly set the bar a bit higher than it should be at the moment. 

Utter pish.

That'll be be why we stepped it up after the goal then.

You do not try to contain a team with better players and good with possesion by sitting in. You just invite trouble onto yourself.

Previous managers have proven you cannot win against them by sitting in.

Tactics were all so fucking wrong. On another day, are shipping a barrowload.

3 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Alright saying that after spending hundreds of millions of pounds on players :lol:

Even when Pep was at Barcelona B he had a reputation for being a master motivator.

It would be interesting to see a manager like that manage Forfar Athletic or something to see how far a mindset can go.

3 hours ago, Ibroxholm said:

Same tactics that Walter Smith used throughout the nineties with a far better team.  Walter got his share of results because we had more talented players in the final third to take the few chances that we created.  Morelos and Tav were in similar positions late on to Forrest In the lead up to their goal..  However, neither of them had the composure to pick out the right pass.

The Jack incident was crucial because it left us short at the back when they broke. Maybe being unfair here but thought that Ejaria should have taken one for the team to stop the break.

We have a composure bypass right though our squad . Still

Tav consistently  balloons or drags clear goal scoring opportunities .

And Alfredo is just not deadly enough in these big games for us 

It just seems to be the same culprits . In that respect . It was almost like Dejavu . Add in big Laffs play . And it reminded me why i wanted him punted years ago.

All endeavour but absolutely no composure  

10 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Utter pish.

You do not try to contain a team with better players and good with possesion by sitting in. You just invite trouble onto yourself.

Walter Smith's teams beat them with those exact tactics in the past, so you're talking pish, as usual. 

What tactics would you suggest, taking in to consideration that the players will be knackered after travelling half way around the world and playing a European game with 9 men and running themselves into the ground? 

19 minutes ago, gsa said:

Wouldn’t see a 1-0 defeat away to them is making a rip roaring cunt of it. 5-1 defeat at Ibrox maybe, aye.

Were much better this season although I don’t think we’ll win the league this season. We were far too much behind.

6 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Utter pish.

1 minute ago, BlueMe said:

Walter Smith's teams beat them with those exact tactics in the past, so you're talking pish, us usual. 

What tactics would you suggest, taking in to consideration that the players will be knackered after travelling half way around the world and playing a European game with 9 men and running themselves into the ground? 

I can see what the Gerrard plan was. Sit back contain and reserve the energy after playing with 9 men and travelling back from Russia. Then later in the game go for it and catch them. That's why you seen the step up after the goal and 60 mins. 

If we played the high intensity pressing game our squad would have been done early on and be wide open to taig attacks. 

The gaffer would have wanted to do things differently I'm sure but circumstance dicataited otherwise. 

4 hours ago, BlueMe said:

Poor performance, but i can totally understand why we chose to try and contain them and hit on the break. We simply wouldn't have the energy to play a high pressing game, we were never going to go into this game chasing everything down with constant pressure 3 days after travelling half way around the world and playing a game with 9 men. 

Poor performance, but a bit of realism is required here i think. This team's been playing together weeks and still gelling, getting into the groups has possibly set the bar a bit higher than it should be at the moment. 

Good post and whilst many will say it’s making excuses I don’t think we can just say it’s a shite performance without looking st the context.

There were obvious signs of physical and mental fatigue....slack passing, poor touches and a lack of pace in our general play that for me meant whatever formation we went with we’d have struggled.

The break will remove the tiredness from the equation so if we struggle to beat Dundee then i’ll start to worry but that is going to be our first league game that doesn’t come off the back of a European game so we’ll get a better idea then of what we can do when rested and prepared.

Steevie oot!

Serioisly  though, there are a few cunts out there dying to pounce on our first defeat. Not all of them taigs 

Rookie manager makes mistake and loses shocker!

Anyone who thinks Stevie won't learn from that is full on retard.

Lets not go drama queen. Wee bump on a long and winding road chaps.

16 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Utter pish.

Saint Stevie G oot yet?

24 minutes ago, gsa said:

I don’t think we stood and admired them today, I don’t not think physicality was an issue either. I thought most of the players, particularly defensively, put in a shift but we lack composure on the ball and we need more talented players in the final third.  Many times I watched Walter’s team get saved by the heroics of Andy Goram, similar to McGregor today.

As long as he does not hang the players out to dry publically, I don’t pay a great deal of notice of what a manager says after games.  His private thoughts on performance are better kept in the dressing room.

15 minutes ago, gersandy said:

Wouldn’t see a 1-0 defeat away to them is making a rip roaring cunt of it. 5-1 defeat at Ibrox maybe, aye.

Were much better this season although I don’t think we’ll win the league this season. We were far too much behind.

Gordon didn't have a save to make.

We never threatened, we couldn't pass the ball, they had far too much space. 

For someone who came with bold promises of physical teams who'd get in people's faces, that performance, was making a rip-roaring cunt of it. 

7 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Good post and whilst many will say it’s making excuses I don’t think we can just say it’s a shite performance without looking st the context.

There were obvious signs of physical and mental fatigue....slack passing, poor touches and a lack of pace in our general play that for me meant whatever formation we went with we’d have struggled.

The break will remove the tiredness from the equation so if we struggle to beat Dundee then i’ll start to worry but that is going to be our first league game that doesn’t come off the back of a European game so we’ll get a better idea then of what we can do when rested and prepared.

Agreed mate. 

We've also got to remember this is still a team gelling and that we haven't yet seen our strongest 11. We've got players to come into the starting 11. 

I expect we'll regroup from this and come back raring to go after the break. 

13 minutes ago, gsa said:

Gordon didn't have a save to make.

We never threatened, we couldn't pass the ball, they had far too much space. 

For someone who came with bold promises of physical teams who'd get in people's faces, that performance, was making a rip-roaring cunt of it. 

Does the block that Gordon had from Morelos not count as a save nowadays?

Balanced perspective.  We are not as good as some people thought we are but we are a lot better than we were last season.   Team still gelling and some young players need to learn from today’s experience.   their fans were happy to hear the final whistle, a lot different than the humiliation last season.  We were still in the game until the end and had Tav not skewed his effort in injury time we could have taken a point.  Very much work in progress but going in the right direction.