The Media Agenda

BridgeIsBlue

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Comes with being the biggest and most successful club in the country. I write about the rest of Scottish fitba elsewhere and the difference in numbers from doing Rangers to doing Hibs/Hearts/Aberdeen in incredible. If I do 20,000 hits on a Rangers story, I'll be lucky to 1000 on a Hibs/Hearts/Aberdeen one.

A bit like the sky viewing figures when we were down the leagues .getting almost twice as many viewers as the taigs .but a tiny fraction of the tv cash .

All tuning in for the Gers 

TV pundit John Hartson...

I HAVE made my feelings clear on people who throw coins at a football ground. They should be banned. No ifs or buts, it is a moronic thing to do and you should never be allowed near a football ground again. So I had a fair bit of sympathy for Kris Boyd at the weekend. No-one should be subject to having something thrown at them. But when it comes to verbal abuse - and I am not saying it is right - you are going to get it having played for one side of the divide. I should know. I have been back at Ibrox as a former celtic player within my current media role and there are things said to you that you wouldn't say to your worst enemy. I am not saying it is right. That is the gig in Scotland. Some of the absolute venom that comes out of the mouths of people would amaze you. READ MORE: Kilmarnock ace Kris Boyd blasts football fan who hit him with coin at celtic clash If I am at Ibrox there is anger and real nastiness from certain elements of the support. You don’t want to look in their direction and make eye contact. As sad as it is, is part of having played in Scotland with celtic. Kris had a little pop about celtic fans being the "so-called best in the world" but I just think a little bit of that comes down to the fact he played for Rangers, he is a Rangers fan. His Kilmarnock team had just lost a last minute goal, a goal that changed the complexion of the title race. We all know what team he bats he for just as you know what team myself and Chris Sutton bat for. That's just the way it is.

So when Neil Lennon is struck by a coin there's furore as it's due to him being a NI Roman Catholic. 

When Kris Boyd is struck by a coin whilst scum fans en masse sing he's a fat Orange Bastard, the narrative changes dramatically. And he shouldn't really respond as that's just the gig it is, deserved for an ex Rangers player.

Oh how that cult brainwash them.

I like how the BBC are reporting it as "claimed sectarianism", rather than sectarianism. 

I'd say at this present time the BBC are the most prolific anti Rangers organisation at present. Other organisations may be more anti Rangers, but they're not producing the same quantities of material and don't have as big a reach. 

To me the BBC at present is a real issue for us. It's an issue we should be urgently addressing. 

5 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

I like how the BBC are reporting it as "claimed sectarianism", rather than sectarianism. 

I'd say at this present time the BBC are the most prolific anti Rangers organisation at present. Other organisations may be more anti Rangers, but they're not producing the same quantities of material and don't have as big a reach. 

To me the BBC at present is a real issue for us. It's an issue we should be urgently addressing. 

The BBC Sport Scotland team are an absolute disgrace to the organisation and their idea of bias-free broadcasting.

Who are letting them away with it?

I'm not sure how we address it. The fact we haven't tried to open up and get cosy with STV as a rival to BBC isn't exactly encouraging.

5 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

Yeah in the article it says... 'what he considers sectarian abuse'. 

They'd never be so non-committal about Lennon's abuse.

11 minutes ago, chris182 said:

The BBC Sport Scotland team are an absolute disgrace to the organisation and their idea of bias-free broadcasting.

Who are letting them away with it?

I'm not sure how we address it. The fact we haven't tried to open up and get cosy with STV as a rival to BBC isn't exactly encouraging.

We need evidence gathered to demonstrate the bias in their reporting. Would take a bit of effort from a suitably motivated individual or organisation. 

The other alternative is as you say engage a rival organisation and let them fight the battle on our behalf. The problem is which rival organisation would want to, in a sense, side with us? Trouble with an STV for example is that they are a commercial organisation, and so would risk losing advertising revenue if they were seen as being biased. 

The fact is we've got a historically renowned impartial organisation with huge reach and massive public funding against us. That's a big problem and is not easily solved. 

Notice also the headline "celtic fans lambasted", as in the celtic fans have been attacked by kris boyd. Rather than "kris boyd speaks out about abuse from celtic fans", or something like that. Focusing on the celtic fans being "attacked", rather than what actually happened which was kris boyd being actually attacked! 

4 hours ago, Gman36 said:

Sky and Bt sport aren't far behind 

1 hour ago, Gman36 said:

Notice also the headline "celtic fans lambasted", as in the celtic fans have been attacked by kris boyd. Rather than "kris boyd speaks out about abuse from celtic fans", or something like that. Focusing on the celtic fans being "attacked", rather than what actually happened which was kris boyd being actually attacked! 

My thoughts exactly.

5 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Sky and Bt sport aren't far behind 

Sky aren't even mentioning the word sectarianism at all when they mention the Boyd stuff. Just saying Boyd was subject to verbal abuse and the coin incident. Happy to run with the sectarian anti-catholic racism pish when it was lennon, obviously. 

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

"Football fans". 

Whilst they obviously have an agenda it also shows that liewell will protect his scum. Whilst Rangers are happy to throw any amount of Rangers supporters under the bus and that has to stop sooner rather than later.

9 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

It's like we're at war and our generals are Italians.

In fairness, Italian generals could at least rustle up a decent pasta dish and a good cup of coffee whilst plotting their surrender. Ours are useless, irremediably fucking useless. 

On 18/02/2019 at 13:32, sRcFoCt said:

The quotations marks on sectarian is like that cunt you know that does it sarcastically.

Boyds got a perfect oppertunity to call them out on it tomorrow, more than likely sit there and be a yes man though and let the alky go full pelt.

As anticipated the predicted hatchet job on BBC news (McLaughlin) regarding Clarke’s comments last night. This is the first time I have ever saw word captions accompanying singing fans taken from Ibrox last night. The hypocrisy compared with the Boyd incident (got a very short token mention) is actually laughable. Of course there is the mandatory ‘Nil by mouth’ rep who feels compelled to mention anti ‘Irish’ bigotry... 

Archived