***2019 Rugby World Cup Thread***

JC10

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never watched rugby before really but started watching the England games this year. Getting into it a bit more but don't really fully understand the rules. Will never be bigger than football but a decent second sport to watch if were not playing. The world Cup that is wouldn't watch rugby league etc 

3 hours ago, MrMckee said:

Never watched rugby before really but started watching the England games this year. Getting into it a bit more but don't really fully understand the rules. Will never be bigger than football but a decent second sport to watch if were not playing. The world Cup that is wouldn't watch rugby league etc 

Before this World Cup I was actually talking to a mate saying I watch loads of sport football, boxing, cricket, f1 etc but rugby is the only one I’ve never really got into. Made an effort this World Cup and watched the England games and I’ve realky started to get into it, my boy doesn’t watch any sport as he’s too young but even he’s started watching the games with me so much so I’ve just been out to buy him an England kit! Been a really good advertisement for the sport so far I think (although I doubt I’ll ever understand the rules!)

10 hours ago, MrMckee said:

Used to play and still find it hard to keep up with the rules as they always seem to be changing. 

12 minutes ago, rfc1990 said:

So Scotland need to beat Japan and need to make sure that they don't get the bonus point for scoring 4 tries, is that right? 

Either beat them by more than 7 so Japan dont get the losing bonus point, or need to score 4 tries for the winning bonus point.

7 hours ago, JC10 said:

Either beat them by more than 7 so Japan dont get the losing bonus point, or need to score 4 tries for the winning bonus point.

The other permutation is if Scotland  win and score four tries and Japan score four tries and keep it within 7 points then Scotland will be out. All irrelevant anyway. Scotland are out when the game gets cancelled tomorrow morning. Everything so far has favoured japan. 

11 hours ago, rfc1990 said:

So Scotland need to beat Japan and need to make sure that they don't get the bonus point for scoring 4 tries, is that right? 

That's about right, and I'm convinced Scotland will do just that. 

Edit: just seen typhoon update, what a waste of time and Japan should not be allowed to walk through if it happens. Disgraceful really, particularly as there are plenty of spaces between the QF to play the game.

9 minutes ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

That's about right, and I'm convinced Scotland will do just that. 

Edit: just seen typhoon update, what a waste of time and Japan should not be allowed to walk through if it happens. Disgraceful really, particularly as there are plenty of spaces between the QF to play the game.

Seen talk of moving the game to monday 

5 minutes ago, 10pshortof17pound said:

Thought World Cup rules only allow change of venue - no change to schedule.

Think that's true but it's never happened before I dont think , wouldn't imagine the japs would want to progress like that either , press conference at 4am should hopefully confirm everything 

5 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Think that's true but it's never happened before I dont think , wouldn't imagine the japs would want to progress like that either , press conference at 4am should hopefully confirm everything 

England v France was a dead rubber, so can understand that decision. The Scotland v Japan is a straight KO game - so they should treat it with the rules of the KO round. The competition would look like a bit of a joke if they didn't play it. Particularly as Japan have a chance of building up a following in the game from their home fans for such an important match. Add the fact that the stadium will be packed out - so revenue loss might be a factor.

43 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Not exactly a dead rubber when it decides who finishes first and second, that could be huge in the knockouts.

Italy have been screwed over, okay 999/1000 NZ win but shocks can occur especially as would be second NZ side. 

I know it’s rubbish but Italy were basically out? They would have to have beaten NZ with either making sure NZ didn’t get a bonus point, or if there was a bonus point for NZ I think they would have to get a bonus point themselves and win by a points difference of 66?

Second team or not, NZ’s average score over 14 wins out of 14 against Italy is 59 to 9. 

23 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I thought they only needed a win to overtake SA but flashscores have already added on 2 points but not stated 4 games played.

Aye that’s what I initially thought too until I saw that the two points had been added.

Massive for both NZ and England now having played less games than everyone. 

14 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I know it’s rubbish but Italy were basically out? They would have to have beaten NZ with either making sure NZ didn’t get a bonus point, or if there was a bonus point for NZ I think they would have to get a bonus point themselves and win by a points difference of 66?

Second team or not, NZ’s average score over 14 wins out of 14 against Italy is 59 to 9. 

It sucks for Italy as upsets do happen. Just look at Japan beating Ireland, which would probably be near the same level of upset as Italy beating NZ. Uruguay Fiji another huge upset. 

Archived